New Build - Advice, Please!

No, you need to go down to 8S

You can do that if it’s a sensored motor and you’re in BLDC hybrid mode

1 Like

Yeah, I posted that I have 180kv motors, not 270kv. My bad!

1 Like

Where did you get the sensors? Are they compatible with any motor?

Sensors are supposed to come with the motor. You can install hall sensors by yourself if you know what you’re doing. :thinking:

Post a picture of the fault code if any, then you can tell what’s going on.

No fault codes, it won’t even power on

Did you connect the Vesc using the xt90? Do the leds light up? You can go to the diyesk8 website and ask them directly.

Measure the voltage on the input wires, what’s it say

LEDs do not light up anymore :frowning:

Input from the battery? That’s not the problem, the other vesc still works. Maybe I’m misunderstanding

I think he is testing to make sure that Vesc is getting power

Not to get off topic, but these are the sensors if OP ends up going that route…

@ZackoryCramer @buckhr http://e0designs.com/products/hall-effect-sensor-board/

I have it, its not so good…

1 Like

I believe that Ive burned my canbus on one VESC, but the other is still functional so I ordered a new one and it arrived today. I went to hook up the connections and no variation of settings in BLDC tool worked to get the 2nd motor moving. I can move both motors independently, but cant move both at the same time using canbus.

So I tried the split ppm approach. This seems to work at times, but I just took the board out for the first test ride (!) down the street and when I returned I noticed only one of the motors was moving. I reset the config, double checked and rebooted the VESC to the non-working motor and it started moving again.

However, now one motor seems to move/continue spinning slight more than the other. It’s almost like one motor is experience more resistance (mechanical or electrical, Im not sure which yet) and starts later / stops sooner than the other. Im not sure yet, but it seem like this mismatch of motor rotation may have caused one to stop working altogether in my short (~500 ft) ride down the street and back.

Any ideas?

2 motors will never rotate at the same speed without a load. Too many factors, belt drag, voltage delivery, wheel and pulley weights, etc. You have to test with a load on it to get practical results.

Have you set the IDs on the VESC’s so that can bus can operate correctly. There’s a few guides on how to do this, hit up the search bar. I’d link them for you but just got home from.work, late night, tired…

1 Like

Here’s a video of the behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4U-tZBbZOs

Yes, Ive followed directions on the various threads on setting IDs, setting the “send over can” settings, etc. and still no luck :frowning: I had it working prior to (stupidly) frying the canbus on at least one VESC…

Sounds like you’ve got more than canbus issues if split ppm is also giving you trouble. I’d check your wiring with a multimeter for resistance and continuity.

one thing that is odd: I have a loop key, but whjenever I plug it in there is a visible spark/pop in the connector. is that normal?

Nope, a xt90-s shouldn’t spark. Does it have the green stripe?