New boosted board 2nd generation

I came to the eSk8 late in the game. Currently still riding my small Acton Blink Board that goes 15mph (which is scary on a short board).

I ordered to Boosted 2 because of the soft ride and overall design. Only being able to travel 6 miles (point of no return) sucks. but that’s why I’m making my own as well. I’v just got a VESC and deck at this point, still waiting on the rest to be manufactured I guess. Glad I live in California since things probably won’t get to me until the sunny winter.

Some new vid out

Sams review

no helmet marques…

Thankfully in Sam’s video he emphasised safety.

Someone should show BB a thread of @whitepony’s vanguard build, so they could see what a DIY version of their board is capable of. If I was BB, I’d seriously consider licensing and selling the speed control software and remote. That seems to be their only real advantage.

5 Likes

How are the drive wheels being mounted? I don’t see any mounting equipment from the outside like the previous boards wheels, just looks like plain kegels from the outside. How are they doing that?

I have to say I am pretty impressed by this video:

Looks like there are really putting this thing through some rigorous testing.

Not to mention they are taking it off road! Look at them ride it on dirt roads and grass!! I’m definitely gonna have to think about getting a boosted board now.

1 Like

Best part about this video: They are finally wearing helmets

2 Likes

Sorry, but I still don’t see what the buzz is about… They have small batteries, low top speeds, they bounce too much, that motor sound is awful (FOC FTW), what’s so great about them?

That, sir, is a real benefit! You have less vibration in your feets. This is awesome if the terrain is not awesome :smiley:

It also makes it unstable to go 30+ mph… Which I suspect is one of the reasons boosted limits their speed in software.

And the real solution to vibrations is not a bouncy board but is 90/97/107mm ABEC wheels. Those things absorb so much vibration that you can ride on road with them.

What makes them better, is that they offer just a polished product with excellent customer service. Regulars love this highlights. The board’s sub par performance doesn’t matter as much to them.

I’ll never understand why people think they need to go more than 30+ mph. That’s what riding downhill is for.

I live in LA, and the streets are shit here. The loaded vanguard deck is one of the biggest selling points for me. I can’t stand riding over cracks. The vibration is so annoying. I’m using my board to commute. I want my skateboard to have suspension like a car. And a loaded vanguard is the closest thing. I couldn’t care less about going 30+ mph.

Plus it does seemed really polished.Especially now that everything is enclosed. I’ve noticed a lot of the small improvements they made and it really seems like a step in the right direction in regards to what a next generation board should be. The version 2 just started shipping last month, so I’m gonna reserve judgement until more reviews come out.

1 Like

Yeah, I had my first fall a few days ago at 20mph and it hurts like shit…The ~20mph range is good enough for me.

I’ve always wanted to replicate the polished design of Boosted in DIY but boy they have really nailed it down. They took lots of effort to get something to that level of refinement and it is worth it’s price despite the specs.

1 Like

I dont understand why people still complain about the battery… Its like that for a reason :smirk:

They don’t limit there speed in software apart from there dual and single. The board is speed limited by increasing torque. It has one of the best gear ratios for efficiency! Also boosted z-board and inboard where all apart of getting the California law changed to make eskate legal and the law basically is around 22mph.

Also the range can be inconvenient but the range is so impressive for a 2.5ah battery.

Iv ridden the v2 and torque is improved as well as I would say increased hill climbing and also a much nicer ride with the 80mm wheels.

They also have some of the most advanced safety cut offs around. Go watch the video where they cut one in half while it’s still on. Boosted have same thing like 3 mechanical and 2 software based anti short and cross polarity protection.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80808

Meet the god @whitepony lol

2 Likes

I wonder how Boosted is powering these quite familiar looking motors with only one cable. They seem to have connectors with like 12 pins on them. Never seem them before.

From my experience in the manufacturing field of aerospace, just because the connector has 12 pins it does not mean that they are using all 12 pins. For example there may be other characteristics about the connectors of the motors that are desirable for theme. For example I believe they are meant to allow you to pull the connector out should it get stuck or pinned on something, preventing the cable from putting strain onto the VESC solder joints. Also a lot of small aerospace connectors can handle high amperages and so I wouldn’t be surprised if thelse are similar in that regard. I think also boosted wanted to move towards modular designing so this would easily allow for that as well as make their motors a piece you would most likely have to replace through them resulting in additional sales. They probably got a good deal buying a shit ton so there’s that too. Just a thought though.

They might be using lots of those available pins. The motors are sensored and I don’t think they’d use a single pin for each phase. The pins are ridiculously small.