Need for speed, 6wd?

Yeah. That guys has dog leashes on all his boards. Said it helps with not getting thrown off when brake harsh because of knees issue I think. Also helps with turning around and transporting the board.

SwordBoard (Stanley) is a mystery. His board was barely working in Vegas. His 4wd is made with the NGV hubs. Supposedly one of the fastest idk

1 Like

They ride very well. A few small pieces I’m looking to improve upon hopefully with the next pair I put together with @hummie.

The magic was in the cardboard holding everything together… (also… I’m not sure, but the Lacroix sticker on the board might have help with the magic repair)

3 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, Is he on the forums?

For this project, I’d honestly go with a standard 4WD, 4 vescs, and a massive battery that can push a ton of amps… Consider high C lipos even if you want it to just race and not go extremely far.

More battery amps are going to help more imo than just adding more vescs and motors to the same tires…

Regardless of how many motors and vescs you tack in, the battery is going to max out at some point. Adding 2 more vescs to an already 4 vesc/4 motor setup just means trimming your battery max to meet your batteries ability to push amps per vesc… And you end up with the same overall wattage/power, albiet with slightly better efficiency maybe or maybe not due to the additional drivetrain friction from two more belts/gears and motors.

And if you want speed, gear for speed… Just throw more amps and cool your vescs with massive heatsinks!!

That’s my advice. A better battery, push a ton more amps at each wheels vesc, pumping those motors to their max wattage. If your wheels don’t spin out, consider then getting two more motors, mounts and vescs if your battery still has headroom to push more amps. If your wheels are spinning out though, for however long they are spinning out, you have reached your max potential power output unless you add more, softer, grippier tires…

Good thread. Can’t wait to see where you take this. We need more excessively overpowered builds for me to cream over, not just the standard 12-13S high discharge lipo quad drives or 13S12P 240A battery max quad drives… Lol /s those are standard… Come on guys!!!

PS, since someone asked, more amps won’t increase top speed… more amps increases torque which requires more cells in Parallel. More cells in Seriess (higher voltage) and gearing for higher speed will give you higher speed.

1 Like

I’m at 140 amps on 4wd now. Yes, lipos are where I should be.

3 Likes

last time I saw him poke his head out was when that (recent) thread happened about the board :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Arzamenable @Mikenopolis switching from 4 → 6 motors gives 1.5x as much thrust/acceleration (or about 50% more acceleration but roughly the same top speed).

if you want more top speed with the 6 motors but the same acceleration as 4 motors…

1 / 1.5 factor of increase of acceleration = 0.66666

^with 6 motors instead of 4 motors, multiply the current gear ratio by 0.666… for ~1.5x as much top speed, but the same acceleration as 4 motors.

…but if in fact you just want more acceleration but the same top speed, just slap an extra pair of motors on your board. you could also reduce your wheel size (by 0.666x) or increase your gear ratio (by 1.5x) for more acceleration without the extra motors, but these options would reduce your top speed (by 0.666x). another option to achieve the same acceleration you’d get by adding 2 extra motors (without adding 2 motors) is multiply your present motor current limit x 1.5 (but this would increase the motor and controller heating by a factor of 1.5^2 = 2.25x, and have no effect on top speed).

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but you might want to look into pneumatics or even buy some race wheels from @MoeStooge for some better off the line grip. But to awnser your original question I don’t think 6wd is your solution. 4wd and put your vescs in a aluminum case totally exposed to the air like @sk8l8r did on his evo build, some big motors, and tattu lipos is probably your best bet.

2 Likes

How about you just ls swap your board?

2 Likes

Yes. He’s pkasanda. Mostly deals with Landwheel drives

1 Like

Fitment issues and other issues aside, this is what I’m going for.

I’m off to psychotillers garage to mull this over. @Mikenopolis you around for an evening skate?

6 Likes

I’ve never had heat issues, both sets of vescs have a large exposed aluminum heatsink. Maybe 130f is my personal heat record. 110s f average I think.

I don’t think I can be persuaded away from sixshooters.

3 Likes

I really appreciate the details in your reply. Give me a few to sit down at a computer to read this and digest. Same for @skatardude10 et al

1 Like

Not around. In Ontario area this weekend

Oh, so your hanging out with the la croix Guys and forsaking SoCal?

Nah. Ghetto Ontario California where the cow farms are hahaha

What settings have you currently got? Upping motor max will help accel

Damn it I was going to go but my chick won’t let me :anguished:

I was recently thinking about how to make my 4wd mountain board even faster. Top speed is fine but as fast as my board launches off the line, I need it to go faster.

I’m not sure that 6wd is the answer though. There are many larger motors available. Like massive…

Run more current motor and battery’s wise, increase battery size, introduce active cooling, that’s will I’ll be doing anyway

5 Likes