Need a motor first build ever

Hey man! Good to see another normal sized guy here… You got me by a few el bees, but not by much. I’m 6’8" as well, but 265ish.

I want to put it in perspective a bit - a single motor on the flats can work just fine. We won’t get the range of guys half our size, but we are rolling and looking good doing it (with a better view)!

I ride my GF’s single 6355 200k on 8s and move along fine. I had a dual 5065 200kv that was scary fast on 8s as well. I also have a marbel (single smaller 50’ish mm motor) and it ca get me going stupid fast too. They all take longer to get up to speed for my weight vs someone 160lbs… but i don’t mind and just love to ride.

gearing i usually go as low as i can. Learned not to go down to 12t motor on 9mm wide belts (skips a lot), so usually do 13/14t on the motor and largest i can on wheel (usually 36t, but i’ve been eyeing some of the printed flywheel in 40/42t as well).

Soldering is a great skill to learn. Making your own series connectors is pretty simple and a great one to practice on. Spending a few $ now to get proficient will help a ton later and save you $ vs buying connectors each time you need one. Hardest part is you need a pretty hot iron and bigger tip for larger gauge wire (basically a big heat sink pulling the heat away unless lots of surface area (big tip) and hot iron).

I’m building another board for guests right now - e-Sugar build. Paused while i try to get a buddy’s board built before he visits tomorrow. He’s up from your neck of the woods in Oceanside. 6’4" and setting up a single 192kv on 15mm belt. Should work great w/ him being around 200.

Happy to help if you have any questions i can answer. Best of luck!

Ya I agree with you and I also asked Dexter and they don’t make those type of things but hey it’s cool. I understand the concept of soldering but I never put it into the real world.I’ll get some wires that I can mess up I’ll get it to work. Is there any type of wire I should use and and type of solder I should pick up. I know lead is the best for it so I’ve heard. If I can even get half of 24 kilometers per change I’ll be happy I’m to lazy to walk SDSU campus to massive. I can’t wait to be 7f on the board must be super cool. Thanks for your help and imput bro mayeb see you around OS if your ever down here.

i love the convenience of Amazon for little things like this.

I get either the wet noodle or superworm 12g wire. Important part is that it’s silicone sheathed for higher temp and is much more flexible.

Dexter does have some great motors still - take a look at his 63mm offerings.

A single motor works, but for faster acceleration and any hills - two is better! You could start w/ a single and add another dual diag later. When $ permits. That’s what i’d do if starting out and didn’t want to drop $$ right out of the gate.

Similarly the Enertion R-spec look like great motors. I have a set of the original R-spec in red waiting for my next dual build.

HTH!