NEAT Trampa | 17 ply HolyPro | Infinity Trucks | E-Toxx Dual Direct Drive | APS 6384S 170kV | 12S 11.6Ah 25C | ESCape

@Nowind @Duffman now it is your turn to make an awesome truck for eATB :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s a valid point. All my problems (and real fun) started with jumping :thinking:

On a perfect truck kingpin bushings last much longer, my hanger is not in best condition and recently I found out that the kingpin bolt is a bit bent, too. Furthermore one hole on the hanger is bigger and the bushing has play. All together leads to ridiculous fast killing of bushings.

IMO the fastest check is to push down the deck at tip (or tail) with both hands. If there is no play or rattle they are fine.

2 Likes

@DeathCookies you’ll be glad to know I’ve got going on a nice remote to go with my nice build :wink: mad-munkey-print

3 Likes

So I decide to jump on the Ruroc train seeing as that esk8 code came along. Was already eyeing up the onyx with its reduced price, but just couldn’t say no with even more discount and free shipping! Anyway, only ordered it yesterday and it turned up today! Awesome! There is one major drawback with it though; 20180807_195830

8 Likes

Put some hours in last night and got my lights sorted…

Headlight is just a stand-alone GoPro light.

20180807_000212

20180807_000227

BEC and 2 switches on the box are all wired up. Damn it was a squeeze to get it all in there, but it’s in, and it all works. And the box lid still opens and closes nicely without trapping any wires.

20180808_080620

20180808_080859

20180808_080835

One switch does my underbox lighting;

20180808_080705

The other does the tail lights;

20180808_080648

Ready to go night riding now :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Oh, and I sorted out my Ch3 feature…

Volume up for this one!

8 Likes

Just a normal 12v horn attached to the bec and a rc ppm chanel switch?

Yup :grin:

Had a cracking night out on the board last night; 1st use as an actual form of transport to visit a friend the other side of Newcastle. Used the Metro for parts of the journey and rode the rest. Will post more details later and tell a little story (had some great positive encounters along the way) but for now here’s an overview of the stats; Capture%20_2018-08-08-23-38-29

3 Likes

So…

Leg 1 of the journey, Metro from mine to the north side of town and ride down to my mates house. Nice mix of cycle paths and road riding, cutting through a couple of hospital roads and riding through the middle of the town moor. From the last traffic lights down the hill to my mates house (07:19:25 PM onward), a man in a big hippy van with musical horns followed my down and caught up with me outside my mates door - he thought it was awesome so had to come have a chat. Said he couldn’t keep up! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Said his son loved all things skateboarding so wanted to know what it was, bought/built, how much etc. Nice guy, nice chat. He showed me his horn so I showed him mine! Positive encounter No. 1!

Leg 2. Same route back to the same metro station. May have accidentally gone the wrong way round a one way system around the 1st hospital but oh well. My sticky GoPro mount for front headlight fell off at one point so was just holding it in my front hand for the rest of the way. Nothing particularly exciting happed, just a nice cruise back.

Leg 3. Knowing I had plenty more battery life left, I got off the Metro early to ride the coast back home. This was my favourite, most fun leg of the journey as I had clear roads and nice wide smooth promenades to ride. Bit of a glitch at the start of the recording as GPS location must’ve been playing catch-up. And had 3 positive encounters here!..

1. The 1st big straight road (10:05:50 PM to 10:08:40 PM) is a 40mph limit where I was riding the road at around 30mph. Saw that a car had come up behind me so let off to allow them to pass if they wanted. They didn’t want. But they kept a very respectable safe distance and continued to follow me. You can see at 10:07:21 where I cut up onto a cycle path (after indicating to the car I was going to do so), but they didn’t zoom past, it was a middle aged woman who slowly passed with a very intrigued look and a smile on her face. She then flashed me her hazards to say thanks as she sped up to 40 and on her way. Your most welcome love!

2. Coming down the promenade up to Spanish City, weaving up through the pedestrianized area, they’re was a couple of young teenagers hanging out, and one had left a skateboard abandoned upside down in the middle of the path… So I just had to didn’t I!.. Speed up and ollie it before casually cruising off on my way to cheers of “Wow!” and “That’s awesome!” :sunglasses:

3. Further up the promenade at the top of the hill (around 10:12:30 PM) there was a small group of longboarders sitting on there boards (all sorts of board including one of those massive surfboard style longboards). Slowed down a bit to say hi as I passed, and got responses of “Yeah Powered!” and "Whoop Whoop"s so I floored it away to show off the raw power of the board.

So yeah, absolutely great nights riding. And as well as these 4 stand-out encounters I had plenty of thumbs up and amazed looks from all sorts of people. The North East is generally a very friendly place :hugs:

6 Likes

Really wish I’d have taken my action cam with me though and recorded that last leg. :disappointed: Would’ve made a great vid!

Awesome board, the face people make is the best part, some love, some hate it

2 Likes

After going out on the board nearly every night last week (Sunday - Thursday), I didn’t get a chance to go out on the weekend, so finally got out again Tuesday night for a cruise along the coast… Only night I got to ride this week. And what a f*#@ing nightmare of a crappy night I had !!! One of those times you usually get early into any new hobby that really tests your commitment to the cause… Where everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and where one thing going wrong leads to more things going wrong. Where the weak and uncommitted give up and change their minds and sell out of the hobby. Not me though. After finally getting over what a bad mood it put me in, I put this down to teething issues, will learn from them, and rebuild and improve to reduce the risk of the same issues happening again.

1 Like

First sign of issues was immediately when setting off… it just wouldn’t go. Rolled down the drive but basically stopped itself when applying power. Quick investigation showed one wheel had mysteriously switched direction. Switched it in the Metr app, thought little of it and got on my way. Then a gently cruise turned into me thrashing around a mown field learning to drift and jumping off rolling features and mounds. That’s when things went bad… On landing a jump, I stripped a main gear in the drive!!! Had no choice but to walk the 2 mile home carrying the heavy end of the board as that one wheel had completely locked up. Didn’t have a bag on me so strapped my helmet to a binding to make carrying easier and keep it from rattling around on things and scratching the paint. Then I went and dropped the board out of my hand whilst stepping off a curb causing it to flip and land upside down directly on the top of my brand new RuRoc scratching it all to f*** :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: And i think this may have snapped my headlight off because I can’t find it anywhere. Pretty sure I lost it. So yeah, knackered after a long walk home with pumped out forearms and pretty pissed off. Could’ve cried when I scratched my helmet, I’ve been so careful with it and usually have the helmet bag with me to keep it nice.

But @Nowind being the excellent guy he is, he sent me out a new gear straight away no questions asked.

And I’ve now pinpointed my issues to a sensor cable having become disconnected. Probably explains why it spontaneously decided to switch directions and who knows what it could’ve been doing when jumping around and pushing the power which probably led to the gear failure.

3 Likes

Lessons learned;

1. Make sure all connectors are properly secured. I’ll be individually taping them before wrapping with the cable braid.
  2. Take my bag with me on all rides - I would have had tools (with which I could’ve removed the damaged gear and limped home on one motor) and I would’ve had my helmet bag with me to keep that safe.
  3. If I’m going to thrash around learning new things and testing the limits of the board, do it closer to home.
  4. If somethings not quite right or out of the norm, do a thorough check before going out on a ride.
1 Like

Having the board out of action for the week did have the one good advantage of giving me time to work on more of the planned features…

Got the baseplate top-plates made and fitted, along with M6 hardware throughout. Never actually noticed that I’ve always had these baseplates fitted with 4x M5s, even though 2 holes are for M6. So to improve strength and make things uniform I made it M6 throughout by dril ling out the bottom 2 holes on the baseplates. You may also notice that I’ve shifted the baseplates and re-drilled the deck to make the wheelbase a bit longer.

20180814_193330

20180816_080337

Front plate has a GoPro mount for my light (and/or for a GoPro). 20180816_174428

Rear plate has tie-down points for my cables with padding to protect the cables from rubbing. 20180816_174727

3 Likes

And I bought a nice little hard-shell case for a tool and spares kit; 20180816_193443

Has an elasticated pouch on one side, perfect for keeping spares; 20180816_193455

And a tray in the other side to keep my tools together; 20180816_193502

Everything one could need for any emergency field repair; 20180816_193611 Spares of nearly every nut and bolt found on the board, including a spare kingpin and bushings. Spare Inner Tube Spare Loop Key, Fuse and batteries for the remote. And tools to cover everything.

4 Likes

I feel your pain i haven’t even rode my board yet and its causing me problems “comp95 deck warped causing the board to banana to the right” i had a little inner tantrum about it last night with the feck it all off what was i thinking thoughts popping up in my angry head, but im in to deep in now, so i spent 3 hours jumping on/stressing the naked deck to see if i could get it to lay flat or flatter at least, it kinda worked but i don’t think i should use it now other than for fabrication/setup practice… :disappointed:

Battle scars. You’re riding a rugged mountain board. I honestly would be suspicious of mtb riders without a single scratch on their gear. It’s not about the looks, it’s about the fun.

Forget about the scratches, the dirt, the optics and go out and have fun. Also forget about fragile but cool looking mounts for gopro, lights etc. That shit should be functional and survive crashes.

My opinion/two cents anyway. :laughing:

Yeah I know, everything new has to get scratched and damaged at some point, it just sucked that it was from something as stupid as dropping my board out my hand.

Anyways, I’m over that now, board is rebuilt and I’m excited to get back on it…