NEAT Trampa | 17 ply HolyPro | Infinity Trucks | E-Toxx Dual Direct Drive | APS 6384S 170kV | 12S 11.6Ah 25C | ESCape

Yeah, try to explain that to a guy who has made his battery box out of cardboard. :smile:

So have you done any riding yet?

1 Like

Still got that big list to get done first! I want everything completely wired up and ready to go before I power up and sort ESC settings. I’m hoping for the 1st test run tomorrow, but that does seem optimistic now I say it! Challenge set…

1 Like

:grinning::grin::blush::star_struck::heart_eyes::metal::raised_hands::ok_hand::+1:

Only gone and got it working!!!

Holy crapsticks is it fun to ride with power on tap!

Didn’t quite meet my Saturday target, but 11pm Sunday night I got to have my first test run round the block. Set it up at half of max power for now (40A) and it still has scary amounts of power. Runs beautifully. Big thanks to @Nowind and @stewii for providing such awesome products to power this beast. Can’t wait to truly start testing it out…

4 Likes

So here’s a few pics of the working (but not quite fully finished) board;

20180806_082339

20180806_082351

20180806_082416

20180806_082425

Inside the box has turned out super NEAT!;

20180806_082451

The spaced off perspex cover works a treat to give a perfect fit for the battery, keep the wires & connectors protected, and keeps visibility of all the status LEDs on components (even when the battery is in).

20180806_082559

20180806_082617

7 Likes

To get it running ASAP, I left out some of the non-essential features for now. I fitted a plug in between Rx and BEC as I’ve not fitted the BEC for now, but it’s plug and play ready.

So from my previous wiring jobs list, the remaining items to get to the planned final product are as follows;

• Connect my surprise auxiliary accessory to the Aux Switch
  • Wire up the 2 switches from the BEC
    • Switch 1 to full length 2 core cable for rear lights (cable is in ready)
    • Switch 2 to the underbox lighting (wiring is all ready)
  • Mount rear lights and wire up with connectors

Other items I didn’t previously list but plan to do;

• Make plates to cover the large HolyPro holes above the baseplates.
    • These will be used for a front light mount, and rear cable tie-down.
  • Fit Wire Mesh Cable Cover over the 2 main cable assemblies from Box - Motors.
  • Epoxy in the loop key plug (It’s just blutacked in at the minute).
  • Make a spare wheel mount for the top of the box.
  • Make some ‘storage brackets’ on the top of the box to mount the hanger/drive assembly to for storage purposes when not mounted on the board.

Then that’s it!

Lights are my priority so I can get around in the evenings safely. Hoping I can do this tonight…

1 Like

Man, all of that turned out super NEAT! This looks awesome. When I’m upgrading my board, I’ll just copy all of your design. :smile:

1 Like

Surely the best compliment one could receive! Thank you sir!

Done 2 stupid things though…

1. I hadn’t yet actually got my Metr module paired to my phone. So I went to test it all today and I needed the pin to pair didn’t I?! Which of course is on the back of the module which I’ve buried deep into my box, securely stuck to the ESC with sticky-back-foam, and hiding behind my perspex cover. :angry: That was an annoying stupid faff to sort out!

2. Quanum remote is working fine, but then I dropped it on the floor causing batteries to eject. Battery tray would no longer stay clipped in properly which I found was due to a broken plastic lever. Damn! So I thought why not, I’ll give it a bash, and I remade this tiny fiddly little thing in Aluminium:

20180806_150718

3 Likes

Damn. I have told you before that this remote is a hell of problems… I wish that you dont break your neck when having issues with this remote! I already had multiple problems with this remote. So i just put it in the bin. The Best Option you can do with this remote!

I make you a deal: ill print you a gt2b mod. You only have to buy the gt2b and Assemble the mod. In return you destroy your shitty quanum or Leave it as an emergency spare. What do you think?

I am only concerned about your safety!

1 Like

This remote is the cheapest most durable remote I’ve ever used. I had a quanum first, and switched to this: https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-Radio-Binding-Plug-Remote-Controller-Receiver-For-Electric-Skateboard/192223853151?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2F0%2F0%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192223853151%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D101ec9751650aad951e0e34ffff91090&ul_noapp=true

You did tell me it had problems yes, but I thought you said binding issues? It bound fine for me and is working fine so far so I’m not as worried as you want me to be. What can go so wrong with this remote to cause safety issues? Any more details on specific problems you’ve had and how it’s risked your safety?

But anyway I’ve already bought the gt2 ready to do the mod. Just been focused on getting the board itself working 1st and the quanum is just a stop gap til I print a case for the gt2. I don’t intend to use it for long, but I am going to use it for now.

The binding issues are scary enough. I had luck that it only happened when i shut the Board off. But what happens if it unbinds during Riding?

I had to rebind it by using the jumper wire…

Besides it seems wrong to have such a clean build with such a remote :smiley: i am glad that you are planning to use the gt2b soon

1 Like

Actually I haven’t tested a failsafe scenario yet so I’m gonna go see what happens… (This is always a part of any normal RC setup). I’m assuming (and hoping) that upon lost connection the Rx goes into failsafe with a neutral throttle. If so then I see this as a very safe failure and if that’s the worst that happens then I’m happy to keep using the quanum (even though I won’t be for long).

Next think i remember is that it does Not hold a charge for very Long. It lights up but does Not work. It took me some time to realize that the batteries are empty.

Just check that the neutral Position in vesc Tool is the same Band width as the remote sends with a fail Safe Signal

Failsafe does work as thought so that’s good. Glad you raised this again actualy otherwise I would probably have forgot to check the failsafe scenario at all! And I’ll keep some spare AAAs with me whilst using this remote now you mention battery life. But again, I had already taken the advice and the gt2 was purchased so I shouldn’t be running the quanum for long.

1 Like

Just thought actually, I am gonna have to get this gt2 ready ASAP… If the quanum does unbind then I’m a bit stuck as I’ve direct soldered the Rx and covered the pins with hot glue!!! Won’t be able to rebind it in any rush!

1 Like

No problem mate. I just dont want to risk your live :wink: my luck was that i had cables for Bluetooth which i could use as binding plug. It Was messy but it worked on the fly. Otherwise i would have to walk 5km to home.

As i said before: your nice build deserves a nice remote! :ok_hand:

Soooo…

I gave it its first proper thrashing last night :grinning: Holy bejesus its bloody awesome!!! :star_struck: Went up and down the coast (plenty of nice wide paths and open grassy areas to explore round Whitley Bay - perfect eATB territory) for about 45 mins - 1 hour, pushed speeds of 25mph ish but didn’t dare go any faster in just shorts and T-shirt (and obviously a helmet). Power’s good, brakes are good. Its all good! Plus riding my mountainboard almost non-stop for nearly an hour… What a novelty! Got more mileage on my wheels in just that one ride than all the riding I’ve done all year to date!

Though the one big bummer that had me actually quite annoyed; my Metr app failed to save the recording!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: It was working fine for the 1st 15/20mins as I had a quick chill on a bench and checked the app. Carried on riding then checked it again when nearly back home… Nothing! I feel really gutted that I missed out on the record of my 1st ever proper ride. I can’t get that back now. :sleepy: Route would’ve looked awesome, I was doing plenty of testing on the way (heavy stop start test, hill climbs, pushing for speed) as I also really wanted to evaluate the date.

To test it again, it did actually record the last leg of my journey home (from noticing the failed recording). So I do have a tiny bit of data;

@rpasichnyk?.. any idea why it might have failed to save my record? Any common causes for this? I was stopped for 10mins or so at one point, but I don’t have the auto timer on. Is it worth putting the auto record function on so it creates multiple records between any stops/rests? I was really hoping to record and keep a log of every ride on this board and I also want the total All Time stats to be correct…

2 Likes

This^^^

Got me thinking… There’s been a lot of talk going around about how long parts are lasting, mainly tyres and kingpin bushings. It now makes a hell of a lot of sense. Mountainboards were never designed to see this much mileage! As unpowered mountainboards, they only get used in short bursts really, and definiately won’t be racking up anywhere close to the distances that powered mountainboards are starting to see. So it’s completely no surprise that @rich can get through bushings as quick as he does. Also, the weight of the duel drive on that rear hanger… landing jumps is putting a lot more strain on these bushings than on an unpowered setup. I got some air last night and I could practically feel those bushings being crushed on landing. The future of eATB needs some proper truck R&D… But for now, bushings checks will be part of all pre-ride checks.

2 Likes