(Name Coming Soon) DIY Evolve Bamboo GT Clone! - 10s3p Custom Li-Ion Pack - dual VESC - Dual Racestar 200KV Motors - My Second build/first dual motor build/first custom battery build

Hey Everyone, This is my second Esk8 Build and my first time posting the entire build. My entire spending is about 1000 USD, but I already had some parts, which allowed me to have a budget of 800 USD.

I’m Going to start out by saying that there are a lot of things people will not agree with. Just to mention a few things - Having Double Kingping Trucks - Soldering to Li-Ion Cells instead of spot welding - Heck, even not just buying a prebuilt. The reason for many of these things is simply due to budget, preference, and wanting to get my hands dirty and have fun making it myself. I have done HOURS upon HOURS of reading to educate myself on the process and internal workings of skateboards, and after the trial and error of my first build (and crash), I think I am finally ready to get into the “big leagues” of DIY Esk8. (The reason I had my first crash was because My enclosure was not mounted properly and all my electronics fell out, went under my wheel, and I went flying).

This is a link to my PARTS LIST. Don’t be surprised if it changes, I am actually making a change as soon as I make this post.

Now To discuss the parts: (FYI I have not purchased anything yet)

• The deck is homemade with 3 plys of 1/4 inch Baltic birch plywood that I purchased from my local Ring’s End. I will post pictures tonight when I get home from sports. FYI, It is an exact copy of the Bamboo GT Deck, I love the look and design.
  • The Trucks are going to be (as of right now) Gullwing Sidewinder II with the Evolve hangars
  • The Motor Mounts are going to be the Evolve Ones (AORN)
  • The Drive system is a cheapo from Ebay (link in parts list)
  • The Motors will be 2 Racestar 200kv 5065 Motors
  • The Electronics enclosure will be made out of either ABS or Kydex most likely.
  • The Battery will be a 10s3p Samsung 25r pack
  • There will be 2 TORQUE VESCs

If anyone has questions or improvements please leave them in the discussion below. I will be posting Pictures and Questions along the way, so please follow the discussion if you are willing to help or want to see the progress of my build.

Thanks!

1 Like

Here is where I am at with my deck. YES THE EDGES HAVE TAPE ON THEM so that I don’t have to sand them again and so they don’t get scuffed. 20180709_23285320180709_232836

6 Likes

Hey does anyone know of a way to stack 18650s like double a’s? I dont know how they would stay together…

1 Like

Hey Esk8 Builders, Can someone go over my part list? I’m ordering tonight and the only thing that’s changing is the wheels and the charger. Specifically my BMS, cause I’m only using it for bypass.

Thanks!

1 Like

Update: All parts have been ordered without a problem. I wound up saving a little bit of money because not all websites will charge tax and those that did had little coupons on RetailMeNot (amazing website always check there before buying things off of big name companies) The total came out to 717 USD, so I saved $53… Not too shabby My Parts will come by the end of the month, and my batteries should be here in about a week so I can start that.

1 Like

Be careful soldering your cells… You need a top quality iron and should be soldering at <460 degrees Celsius. Iron should only make contact with the cell for 5 seconds at a time, so get in and out quick!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I have a 120 watt iron and some good flux so I think I should be fine. Great tip!

1 Like

That’s great, also make sure you have a large chisel tip - surface area is directly proportionate to the amount of heat you can transfer. Bigger is better :wink:

1 Like

Haha I see what you did there :joy: Yea the tip of iron is very large so we are good on that front. I would post a picture but you would think I’m at an antique show.

1 Like

Just wondering, why are you planning on using 25R’s and not a 3000mAh cell like the HG2?

1 Like