N.E.S.E / NESE - No solder module battery packs

Never had anyone complaining about customs and most of my customers are from US

This is prefect for lots of things but not boards in my personal opinion. Yeah you could strap on a 12S4P pack thatā€™s almost the size of two 12S5P packs but i donā€™t really see the advantage there other than swapping out individual cells or even P Groups when they die out for age which is kind of a bad practice anyway.

Iā€™d put these on a bike or in a fun cart. Power wheels, electric paddle boards maybe. Iā€™d probably not put them on a skateboard. Anywhere i need cell protection and ease of maintenance but have no concern for space constraints.

home power storage is also an ideal candidate for these.

These seem like a good idea if you travel with your board on planesā€¦just take the cells out in put them in the carry on bag. No welds, just batteries in their stock form.

My only concerns are the fact that you need almost 1kg of filament to make a 10S4P pack so you are making you board heavier by 1kg. The other is how the connection between the tabs and the cell will hold up over time. Spot welding ensures a solid connection with high amp delivery. Will a pressure connection be able to do the same?

longhairedboy, it might be larger, than glued pack, but you are missing the point. Not all can or have equipment to spotweld or solder. This allows least literate to still build a usable battery which will beat every spotwelded or soldered battery in power, hands down which equates to most efficient.

Ronny_CTS, 1kg of filament prints 14 6P modules. The spring is made out of low density low compression set foam with certain deflection force. The low set means that after 10 years of compression, when released foam comes back to its thickness loosing about 5% so say 1mm foam after 10 years will become .95mm. Spot welding will never deliver same amount of power NESE can, and here is why: Nickel is of lower conductivity than copper, check iacs table Welded nickel strip is usually up to 0.2mm thick where my tabs are 0.6mm. Spotwelding means that you have couple 1mm^2 spots of good connection where here precision stamped tabs have ten times that. Do a test, spot weld 6p and pull 200A and see what happens:)

Here is promissed video:

19 Likes

How much can the buzzbars handle con?

Not tested beyond 200A

I donā€™t know if it would be too difficult to add a fuse on every cell. But ya that would be the ultimate!

1 Like

yeah. I get some flavor of that response a lot. I know that $150 is probably a crippling investment for some people for a spot welder but how much are we going to pay for 12 of these? Wil it be more than a $50 soldering station and a couple hours of youtube?

1 Like

For a larger battery such as 10s4p it seems cheaper to buy an arduino spot welder.

Ofcourse you donā€™t get the benefit of modularity with a spot welded battery, but if you wanā€™t to get away as cheap as possible it still seems like a better option.

plus i guess you have to figure cost of nickelā€¦ which is cheap on dollars but expensive on wait time. Then i suppose you have to learn how to use a welder without blowing holes in the cells. Or i suppose how to solder cells without destroying their cycle life.

ok maybe I am spoiled on experience.

1 Like

yes you are :slight_smile:

It totally depends on you, what you want. I am not pushing my product and i would rather have people who have no appreciation for it leave it be. My point of view is biased, its my baby but then again, i am in electric bikes for some 10 years and the only thing kept me of 18650 was the hassle. I even build my own spotwelder with dual pulses and pneumatic electrode clamping(have some tests on youtube, my channel). I went from ordering packs spotwelded to doing it myself, ordering nickel strip, receiving nickel plated steel strip, dialing in pulse duration and power while damaging some good cells with electolite siphoning. I was working on this design for three years, learning plastic properties, materials that might be suitable or not. BTW those 150$ welders are a pile of crap. Good welders cost in exess of couple kā€™s.

6 Likes

Anyway, i am not here to tell the tale or explain my pricing. If it suits and you have questions i will answer them. If its too big for application, there is no need for discutions, all specs are accessible to size it and see if it fitts the needs, if not, skip along. There is too much debate going over nothing

1 Like

I didnā€™t wanā€™t to come off as negative. I can definitately see this being a viable option. I for instance will most likely move abroad next year for studies and the modularity your solution provides would solve the problem of getting the battery on an airplane.

4 Likes

HA!

Youā€™re new here, arenā€™t you? Just to crash course on the culture quickly: We debate nothing here on a regular basis and let me tell you, brother, we get a lot of nothing resolved. Why just the other day somebody posted something and a few of my colleagues and myself had almost nothing to offer, but we offered it anyway and wow was that nothing special. It was quite the spectacle.

To further my point, i hand you over to Vice President Sharktopus to resume the considerations for your product.

17 Likes

Me neither :slight_smile: Just dont want this to become a debate over size or price:) Went through that

Thanks for the video. Are you going to offer a similar compartment for dual/single VESC, BMS and remote receiver. Would be cool if they all fit together. Would still need a balance wire cover to have an all in one solution (just thinking out loud).

Nice Job!

1 Like

This is golden, haha

Managing battery stuff alone is quiet some task so at the moment i have no time on full system. With tools available and lrimting services all arorround something could be designed by the community here. I dont have vesc or other hardware to even start.

@agniusm Awesome NESE modules! Do you have any recommendations for 18650 cells? Any that fit best and best discharge characteristics? Have you tried LifePO4 18650s?