N.E.S.E / NESE - No solder module battery packs

You can just thermal glue a piece of aluminium or PC-type heatsinks to the FETs if concerned about heat with high discharge

1 Like

These packs look awesome :slight_smile:

so am i right that this 2s4p module has one 8P tab and two 4P tabs ? or how is it constructed. btw is this now avbailable for everyone? Just to clarify

1 Like

Is there any way to wire this up into a 4s2p configuration?

just buy the 2p modules, but to your question. I don’t think there is a reasonable solution without changing the design completly.

As a single unit by itself it has one 8p and two 4p tabs, but as a whole unit for a 12s4p, it’s got twenty two 4p tabs, and one 8p tab.

2 Likes

I think that absolutely could be done, so you’d need three modules to make a 12s2p system. Just draw out three dual sided 8p modules, and you’ll see what you would need to make it work :slight_smile: That’s another reason I like this design is you can expand beyond just the 12s4p if you add two 6p (12s1p) modules or three 8p (12s2p) modules.

1 Like

@TheMachine Yes, i think they will be permanent. @Benjamin899 Its on the shop ATM, description and other bits on the website are not filled yet though. @boardman In theory you could do 4S2P but it will be impossible to nicely route sense wires inside the module. There would be loose bits like 2P tabs to be inserted one by one with cells holding them. As Benjamin899 mentioned, needs heavy alteration of the design or heavy DIY. So for the design as it meant to be, best we can have is 2S4P. It has full tabs which are not cut and soldered, they are all constrained on one end at least. Even 2S4P needs full tab to be bowed out to be inserted which is fine.

1 Like

I see. Thanks for the detailed response

OK. Reworked 2S4P module for the BMS. Added access to USB(not keen on it. The hole must accommodate whole USB connector with casing which makes it big. If i push it to the wall it will still be not enough to reach as enclosure walls are thick and it wont allow for tabs). I think it would be better to use extension cord and route it out along with OLED, switch wires:

Grey grommets are where the wires would enter. They will be made out of softer TPU material. I don’t know if the angled grommet is needed. Some good news is that i was offered a BMS from the first batch to advance with this faster so it just might happen sooner than i thought. Great

5 Likes

Nice will you make an STL available when happy on 18650.lt ?

Sure mate they will be available. Just need to iron out so its 120% :wink:

4 Likes

@agniusm @uigiroux I don’t understand, what is the goal with these 2s4p modules?

2 Likes
  1. Less modules to mount
  2. Smaller overal size
  3. Less series connections outside the enclosure. If you dont need it there are 4P modules still available. Would you not agree that broader choice is better? You might not need it but the world is bigger than that and some might benefit.
2 Likes

They make it so you can use 6 modules rather than 12 since both sides have screw terminals. So I’m using 22 single sided 4p tabs as the pic illustrates, and then 1 8p tab that doesn’t need any screw tabs, as shown in the bottom module in the pic.

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

5 Likes

@agniusm, thanks. I get it now. I went back and looked more closely. Five modules to make a 10s4p battery, and the pack will be 375mm x 167.1mm x 22mm (14.75 inch x 6.57 inch x .86 inch) instead of 10 4p modules at 375mm x 195mm x 22mm (14.75 in x 7.75 in x .86 in). @uigiroux, thanks for the drawing. I’ve been following the developement of NESE modules all along. I was thinking about doing a 10s3p pack because of the width of the 4p modules. This design saves some space!

1 Like

That was exactly why I wanted a double sided unit, it saves space and cuts the number of modules you need in half. Only down side is it can only go up to 8p, where as I’d of preferred to make a 12s5p battery, but I guess 8 is a wide as they can go, I was told 10 couldn’t be done cause it would maybe start to bow or flex a bit in the center.

1 Like

Yes, I wonder about the flex because my deck has a large amount of concave. With a router one could make a flat spot for the pack if necessary.

Are the 4p bus bars as secure in the 8p modules? I was impressed by @agniusm monster shake test videos on his modules with the continuous bus bars (tabs?) I know this is a beta product. Shake test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93JBo87LJiU