N.E.S.E / NESE - No solder module battery packs

Why i can not see the 2s4p image above :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

dunno, i can see it normally

I also interested with nese module, i’ve tried with vruzend kit before, its working but i notice that the nuts keep coming loose. Maybe i should check the image from my laptop not from my phone.

the v2 kit oder v1.5 and older? mabe try some locktide

The new v2 kit

The overal dimensions are 167.1 x 74 x 22mm. I will get the modules done for uigiroux and will post findings

I’ll post many pics as well. This has so many more benefits then being easy to assemble and no soldering required, but this makes it so you can fly with any sized battery you want, plus if you notice a problem with a cell, you can easily swap out cells. Additionally, I was just thinking how these may be the largest size you can get, so 4p is the largest they make, but you could easily add another p group or more. Just order 2 of the 6p models, and make it a single 12s series. You could double this for 2p, or more easily would be to get 3 8p units and just components) combine these with the other pack and you have 12s4p + 12s1p/2p/etc…

1 Like

Planning to built 10s3p with nese, but this 2s4p idea also good option to go.

1 Like

I sure you could request a double sided 6p module. Would be very easy to build :smile:

So after collaboration with uigiroux, we have 2S4P module. The listing on my shop was created for him to get first batch but someone from here i guess snatched another 2 modules, naughty :slight_smile: Had one batch failed so it takes more time than anticipated, but we are getting there. mounting holes were changed to M3. 4 x is plenty and they allow for thicker walls. I have assembled first sample without mounting holes and it feels and looks very good. Here are some shots i made yesterday:

So if someone finds them useful, you can thank uigiroux for kicking me in a butt :smiley:

Another thing we are working is same type of enclosure to fit DieBieMS BMS produced on these forums and i am personally very excited for the brilliant products engineered by DIY folks.

12 Likes

Some brainstorming needed.There are 5 power connections to the bms and as i was told 2 are linked, common- and pack-. So we have 4 power connections which is good as 2S4P has 4 power outputs. BMS also has USB, CAN, dont know if VESC has another connector or connects through CAN and display. BMS enclosure will have output for sense wires similar to this:

i thought perhaps it would be better to route OLED, VESC as well as sence wires like that as there will be two openings, one at each end? …and leave USB without access(i think i read that it could be programmed through VESC(even if not its one time job)? i think making a bunch of openings is a bad idea.

BTW I will have some tube ring terminals(for NESE modules) in my shop later this month, 2.5mm²(10AWG), 6mm²(8-7AWG), 10mm²(5-4AWG) and 16mm²(4-3AWG) to be used with this tool: or larger:

3 Likes

This could all work together quite nicely, it’d be possible to offer pre-wired configurations with multiple NESE modules already strung together to the BMS module itself. Only thing left to do would be to insert the cells and that looks pretty hard to mess up . . . assuming you get polarity correct.

A few thoughts.

There’s 5 power connections you’ll need to expose; battery positive, battery negative, load positive, charge positive, and common negative (for charge and load).

There’s a connector for the display, another for the power button, and two canbus connectors. It can get annoying having cables running inside an enclosure such as this as you have to open it up to connect/disconnect them. I don’t have a good solution for this, ideally these connectors would be on the case surface. The small hole you’ve shown above could work, these are all small gauge wires.

The other side of the sense wire connector is quite large. Imagine that black connector being 30% wider, with that extra 30% extending off to the RHS. It wont fit in your current design mockup. Then there’s the wires themselves, the whole section between the two RHS terminals may need to be removed.

Ideally the canbus would be used for setup and monitoring, but last I heard from jtag the firmware wasn’t quite ‘there’ yet. That leaves USB as the only reliable way to configure it; as you’ve said it’s a one time job. You can also get diagnostic information via USB (cell voltages, current state, etc), it would be a shame not to be able to get at this easily. I’ll usually check the cell voltages/balance when I remove my deck enclosure, but this is pretty infrequent.

2 Likes

Battery negative and common negative are linked internally I was told, so you can use either. I will not get into building full systems as this takes lots of time, systems varie, and people want different setups. Mockup is with other end connector plugged in so there should be space for balance wires. I tried 15s with lesser space on 6P module. It almost fitted :smiley: The reason I dont want holes is for water and dirt to have less chance to get in as its delicate electronics inside. Something like this could be used:

I love the idea of having a BMS enclosure all wired up only requiring the addition of cells! Though I would like to mount the LED display on the outside of the main enclosure, not the outside of the NESE module.

Another thing I would really like is a cable professionally made that allows you to connect two VESC’s via canbus, but also has the canbus from the BMS connected to that as well. I know this can be made on one’s own rather easily, but I’d prefer a professionally made cable.

I’ve noticed a few people making 13s builds using charge only bms that are very small. It would be cool if you could make a 2s4p module, where the other half is fitted for a small bms!

yeah, you’re right on both counts, I probably should have looked at the schematics. I still have my doubts on the sense wires though, but I’m sure you’ll figure something out.

Guess I’m not as concerned about holes as I can’t imagine anyone would use NESE modules without them being inside another larger enclosure anyway. But in principle, fewer the better.

I can make access for USB no issues and if you say its fine, i’ll do it. CAN cables could be routed through the openings i was referring to earlier. BMS still could be pushed to the left some to allow for more clearance. It will be more space there, i just used standard module enclosure without modifications. About that momentary switch. Do i need to get that built in(if space allows) or are they mounted on external enclosure? I have asked to include me on the second run list to get BMS and have physical object to test fit. I think i will get it by the end of the summer if enough people come on board. @uigiroux, i will concentrate on these two additions. If i will start wander about, none will be done :wink:

1 Like

Lovely. No worries about heat from the mosfets softening the enclosure?

Perhaps a thin heat sink could be placed at the bottom of a module?

Very interested in the 2s4p modules, are they going to be a semi-permanent offering?