N.E.S.E / NESE - No solder module battery packs

I’ll share the files with him.

@mishrasubhransu Cad links for me too! lack of cad stopped me making use of them. tried to reverse engineer the model but slow progress due to being too n00b.

I have iges and solidworks files. Hope you both can use them.

2 Likes

Has anyone mentioned using a 2 sided end plate what gets bolted to the deck? Instead of wiring say 3 packs to make a 6s4p, you would put 7 ends and have no wires

Basically a end divider with contacts on both ends to make series more compact

1 Like

A quick sketch maybe?

Oooh this is clever if I understand.

Basically, NESE uses copper things with 2 holes to do the series connections. I think Zach is saying to change the tab to have a section that can be bolted to the deck. An L-shaped extension.

So the brackets would serve as mounting tabs, and as series connections.

I’m thinking, since it’s bolted, you can just add a piece of L shaped metal to the bolted together stack – no need to modify the series tab.

This could save me hours of cad work, but worried about vibrations.

1 Like

Ignore the calc

The bus is common to both sides

1 Like

dude plz rotate lol. my neck!

I like your idea but it makes the modules rigid. Which is okay for decks that are pretty stiff.

Aah, I get it. You are saying to do away with the plastic boxes but just use the copper tabs with support to directly mount on the deck. Could work. You wanna cad it up and show us how it looks?

Makes no sence. Enclosures are there to restrain cells from flying arround so they are properly seated even with exsessive vibrations. Also mechanical and weather protection, at least first stage. The space you are saving is nothing compering to trouble you are adding. Its better to go and spotweld the pack if you are counting millimeters.

1 Like

Have not answered all the questions. Most print with 0.4mm nozzle and extrusion width with it is 0.45mm mostly so 0.9 make two perimeters which is enough for it not to be floppy and matter. You cant have both cases with the same slope. 2sXp has full tab and the wall would not allow it to be inserted while 4p+4p has 4 tabs and full separator is no problem

By the same slope I didn’t mean same slope for both of them, but rather a constant slope. But you have explained above why.

Yeah, the cad looks nice. Thank you for listening to us.

1 Like

Just to confirm, by the slope you mean trapezoidal cutout i have and rectangular separator in your model?

Yes, exactly.

How many sensors wires you think you need for a whole pack of 48 cells? Be nice if could use one long sensor wire for numerous cells. Looks like that’s what you’re maybe doing in the photo

Its a 3 wire sensor so you need to parallel required amount of sensors on 3 wires. They work in parasitic 2 wire mode but some data is lost on larger arrays. The SAE rules require one data point per 3 18650 cells but i would not go that crazy myself, one sensor per module would be enough.

1 Like

Assuming one sensor per module how much would that roughly cost? Like the possibility of having it work as a safety feature sending info to the Vesc if it gets too hot n could tell u

Diebiems can take cell temperature data and relay it to the VESC. Already.

It would be adding sensors either way. Getting the voltages would be nice but the Vesc could accept a temp sensor as is with no more electronics I think