N.E.S.E / NESE - No solder module battery packs

@agniusm great solution for making battery safer and faster. I also found that what @mishrasubhransu suggested is right, a thin wall will make it sfare for internal series connection. One side completely close, while the other with a left space for the tab to go through. Plus I would also add a little cutout or a hole in the lid for the balance wire for the BMS. This modification are really easy and everyone can do it by himself , but maybe you can make it public too, if you are interested of course. I am making a deck with integrated enclosure and I will use your modules for the battery. Here same rendering of the prototype. The chambers are made to host your modules :wink:

image image image

2 Likes

My initial suggestion was to place a piece of paper, the one use for baking. Its thin, impregnated and can withstand high temps. I did not want to increase the size of the module at all, but if community is addressing this, i am all over. I will make necessary changes and re-upload to my website. I can add this to 2SxP packs too, would be triangle shape, sloping towards 2S tab to get it in but it should cover for cells not to touch. I it will increase module by .9mm as i need 2 extrusion to make up the wall @ 0.45mm to matter. @rey8801, fantastic work on CAD, love the board. At first glimpse i thought it was real photoshoot in light box.

2 Likes

Actually that is not desirable on the lid because then you can’t open the lid and service the cells(say you are upgrading them or replacing them). Ideal would be to do it underneath and route everything from underneath. Plus his current design has v shape cutouts exactly for that purpose.

thanks! yeh rendering is pretty cool. It makes photo realistic reconstructions. Concerning the 2SxP modules I also thought about a piece of paper in between. In that case I would opt for fish paper since it has been made for that. I also like a lot the slim version. If I missed in thread I am sorry, but do you perhaps share the CAD file of the modules? I mean STL is ok but a bit more nasty to work with it. Thanks for listening the community!

1 Like

True for the hole but the cut out in the lid would be on the side so you can still remove the lid since the balance lead will just slide out. At least in my imagination can still do it :grin:

IMG_20190129_142550

You have a terminal exiting at front and back. Why would you want another exit for balance wire and solder directly to the tab when you can use ring terminal and bolt it where it suppose to?

2 Likes

I perfectly see your point but in case of the internal S connection in the 2s module you need a balance lead there. No?

Its not internal. there are 4(2S4P) or 3(2S3,2P) connections at both ends of the module. There is no need to modify for balancing wires. All works as is :wink: You can see it here: image I am measuring voltage on 2S but at the bottom you have bolt on both sides to connect your balance wire. On 2S3P and 2S2P there is only one bolt on one side. You can also cut the tabs and have only wire exiting tab opening for balancing and leaving bolts out for compactness.

2 Likes

I basically chose not to have the compactness and made the series connection from outside. That’s why I was asking for a big divider in between. Haha.

I see. So just to be sure I got it

Is it correct?

Yes. That is correct

1 Like

perfect then no modification needed :wink:

took me also a moment the first time i build mine, but works like a charm.

1 Like

it indeed looks super clean. I am going to use it for sure

Made some changes for requested futures. Please chime in to asses before i print samples and waist plastic :slight_smile: This one is for 2S4P: 2S4P and for 4P+4P: 4P%204P The barrier is 0.9mm wide so add that to final module length

4 Likes

looks good to me :wink: Thx!

Why not have a wall with a constant slope from start to end in both cases. Save plastic?

Also in the 1st case you can raise the wall until it just hits the copper tab center. Did I make sense?

Edit: ignore the second thing I said.

Also, BTW, why .9mm wall? What’s your nozzle size?

yeh I tought it already passed the tab center. I need to print one and fit a tab to better visualise it

1 Like

very nice design, really like how you developed this product :+1: have you considered designing double stack module with the batteries nested. The hardware remains the same only new module design. I would be interested, can work on the design if there is a compatible fusion 360 file.

No point in wasting time or plastic. i would not had the wall at all but it is good to make these larger module more rigid hence triangulation. @sebaszz, can you draw up what you mean? On request i can provide CAD files. I believe @mishrasubhransu has some on gdrive as mine are exported and it is extra job i would rather not do :slight_smile: when there is availability.