N.E.S.E / NESE - No solder module battery packs

like it, want it maybe enough to reprint, share and care? It is Christmas after all, my guess is 20mm height with lid in which case HAYA can do

NOOOO! Its 17mm in height :joy: you will need to hamer down your cells to make them that :joy: Cell height is what you get so 18mm

3 Likes

Sure will share if interested.

2 Likes

Tardis? Wait it’s smaller then the cell radius, oof you clever man

2S4P SlimLine STL

3 Likes

Nice way of reducing wasted space! I like it. Would making the v-slots solid help with rigidity? 15c5967433d49c1dd665bb9ce84139b76d35b27d

2 Likes

No. The cutouts where cells protrude make it flex. I know it might sound like a waist of space. But i have tested various thicknesses to have as little material as i need to to make it rigid enough for assembly and protection.

1 Like

You can make it rigid with exotic materials but those cost 300-500usd per 0.5kg and require special printers to print which are very expensive too. So this is a compromise made so anyone could print them, they are safe and easy to assemble.

1 Like

Just a reminder that offer expires in a week so don’t miss out :wink:

What offer?

Winter offer with 15% off

1 Like

More common way of wiring PCM’s balancing port(s), like bestechpower.

10S8P_assembly2

10S8P_assembly

3 Likes

why switch between the negative and postive terminal?

it does not matter to which screw you tighten the balance cable, they both are literally the same spot as far as the BMS can tell

1 Like

Was quicker to cad and have them inline. I think this is basic stuff electrically and all should know that it is the same where on conductor you place your connection, it will get connected :yum:

I made a new enclosure for DieBieMS. It is a bit wider(5mm) than the standard NESE box and I have moved a few things around to attach the balance connectors while BMS is already mounted in place. It has more space for routing the balance wires and restricts them in a channel. The copper tabs are very easy to DIY now. Only one 90 degree bend.

Rest of the pics here. The pic below is a completely assembled working board. IMG_20190119_064319

5 Likes

Rear view IMG_20190116_233028

Front IMG_20190116_232937

10 Likes

Such a beauty! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

So, i want to be grumpy :slight_smile: I had flames thrown at me for making some statements. Don’t want to tag Winfly here as i don’t want to put him off of hes development endeavour. Will quote hes first post: 1. Cost _ * It’s kind of expensive. €103.35 for a 10s4p module to ship to the US_ 2. Size _ * it got that extended part for screws terminals. I don’t see it as a necessity. It adds length to the whole P group and IMO length is pretty important since most battery packs are made laying the 18650s along the length of the deck_

So the cost: 100USD NESE vs 80USD Winfly (and this is early access which most of the time is cheaper than regular) 20USD for stamped proper tab with raised nipple, plated, then proper low set foam for compression added must be worth that? What got me is that he even does not want to share stl files, not to mention CAD’s cause its bad for business. In the end, the system started taking NESE shape with lower quality components costing marginally less. Maybe its me but it does not make sense to me, and i was flamed for the things i said that became true in the end. Am i weird?

On the better note, my system is going to be used in student formula E. Pakistan team will be using it.

We were working on implementing temp sensors. Rules require to have one probe per 3 cells max with proximity of <10mm. I have found the sensor and implemented in NESE 8P module. it got wider by 3mm but is still compacts for car: (Illustration, middle probe is placed correctly now) Its not public, but if someone has project requiring this capability, its available on request (stl or cad)

9 Likes

The integrated temperature sensor looks fantastic. Congratulations that your system is going to be used by the Formula E Team.

My next battery pack will be a slightly modified version of your thin profile module with some easy way to pass the balance data from one module to the next in a modular way and finally into the DieBieMS/other BMS along with thermistors per cell pack.

Don’t be grumpy, you have a great tested product. I love the modularity, the safety, use of big m5 bolts for joining connections … Even though these modules look good on paper, when it comes to more people adopting it, well, they will need to see several different implementations that has been tested in real world condition for 1000s of miles(collectively). What would really help is for you(and other existing users) to assemble and showcase their functioning system. That would instil the confidence required and give users ideas to put together their system. To put that in a different way, understand that a lot of the experienced builders just use welded cells because they can make very compact system and a lot of the newer builders are afraid to try NESE because they don’t see a lot of builds based on that here(esk8 forum). You have a huge potential customer base but they need a bit of hand holding.

2 Likes