Mystery round connector [replaced w/ custom made]

Hello I’ve spent some hours unsuccessfully searching for this connector. The close I’ve got is some kind of amphenol connector but I don’t think that’s right it’s from a chinese board so probably in metric? These measurements are approximate.

If anyone even just knows what these kind of connectors are called or help narrow my search, I guess something like this would be on digikey…

The replacement battery I ordered came with a 4 pin version and I need to a 3 pin version.

connector 20190415_173131 20190415_173144

This is an example of the 3 pin connector I need. If anyone has any ideas, thanks!

It’s a GX16-3

6 Likes

That for sure gets closer! I think the pinout is compatible but all my searches online seem to show the inverted gender, and slightly different style keyway.

The keyway probably isn’t important but finding a panel mount female connector is the trick I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, upon closer inspection, it appears to be a

“GX16-3 that’s been modified to be proprietary and not obtainable anywhere else so you have to pay up”

4 Likes

I would just change it all over to actual GX16-3 and be done with it.

3 Likes

Probably good advice, I’m going to continue the search now that I at least know the pinout it should match.

1 Like

Good advice from @b264 You’ll probably be trying to find a match for the proprietary version until the cows come home. Best option is to replace both connectors with the generic version.

1 Like

Ordered some GX16-3 I think I might be able to retrofit the female part to the inside of the part I already have. It appears to be held in place with a set screw so if the diameters are compatible I just need to drill out the current guts, replace it with this and then drill in a place for a set screw.

If it doesn’t work I’ll just give up and focus on building my own board instead of repairing crappy Chinese ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

20190417_151957

Drilled out the old connector.

20190417_152557

Left plastic on the internal diameter to match the insert. Had the perfect size drill bit already, hooray!

20190417_153713

Drilled the hole for the lock screw (in the wrong place, had to do it again).

20190418_124423

And… voila! The connector is a bit fussy to get on/off compared to the “original” one that uses a rubber surround. But it works!

Anyways if anyone is curious this was because I bought an Onan x2/x3 battery thinking it would work for the x1, but after ordering it found out the connector was different. Don’t be like me.

2 Likes