My Trampa caught fire last weekend

i soldered my first battery pack straight to cell (160+ joints!) with no issues. If you check the datasheets for these cells, they test them to pretty extreme temperatures. I doubt soldering directly to the cell would cause any issues.

Also, I’ve shorted balance leads before and since the wire is thin, it should fuse out and disintegrate. Even my 10mm nickel strip disintegrated when i shorted it once.

It’ll likely be impossible to tell exactly what caused this fire, but should be a good reminder to be as safe as possible when constructing these lithium packs and insulate, insulate, insulate!

4 Likes

ouch, sorry for the loss. I wanted to make a flexy Trampa board as well. Maybe the flex is an issue? Was there room between the wires and bottom of the deck? Maybe the compression, vibration and rubbing caused the short.

is there an isolator instead of this? or no isolator stickers at all?

1 Like

I used those isolators in all other builds and never caused any issues, I remove the battery enclosure several times prior this incident, at least 20 times, the insultators, wires connecting the packs, nickel strips were always perfect, no pack was bad or unbalanced ever, this was a pretty good looking job.

I wouldn’t like to start causing doubts to all innocent components, I’m pretty sure the issue was wires vaporizing and igniting the fire, later they melted the silicone isolation and shorted the batteries.

For me, no more BMSs on flexible packs or maybe use conformal coating on the balance wires

Those strips were later replaced with dual 16AWG wires, so they did not protrude as shown in the pictures.

This is not the original battery but the job was the same:

But yes, that is one of the possible culprits.

I had a short on balance lead and it caught fire so definitely a possibility. I wonder if there is something we can spray to make things less flammable inside a enclosure

I wrap my entire setup in kapton, so broken wires or anything won’t be loosely moving about.

yea and I wrap everything in pvc shrink so no loose anything when it’s installed

Dam sorry to hear about your loss.

I use a 3" x 3" aluminum square fence post and slice it so it works as a tray for the batteries. I line the inside of the tray with peel and stick vinyl hot glue the batteries and heatshirk the while thing.

Road debris can easily penetrate the batteries if there isnst a hardshell. Here you can see how something tried to penetrate the aluminum plate.

I feel like this whole thread should be moved to the lobby.

Re: YouTube vid…

19 of the most important people in the world have seen it. We wouldn’t care if you deleted it😉

Sorry for your loss man, that was one beautiful board

I’m sorry for your loss.

I don’t think anyone here would mind if the vid got removed…

1 Like

Hey man, sorry about your board. I know exactly how you feel, your scene looks identical to what happened to me: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/some-fun-video-of-my-longboard-exploding/26120. It really sucks when something like this happens, but i hope it inspires you to make your next build even better. Your trucks and motors are probably still salvageable, it’s a good conversation starter for me when I tell people that my motors survived a fire.

sorry Alan for your loss :frowning:

i remember this.

maybe the same or not, i recall you used audio cables for your battery connections, i think that may have been the cause of your fire.

have you attempted a new build?

Video removed, I got PM requests to share the video, not a good thing

6 Likes

No stickers at all The glue on them is flammable Take one and light it up

@Eboosted I’m working my on a pcb to assemble battery packs, will share once is tested. With this all connections will be done on the pcb and the pcb spot welded to the battery, so no direct wires on the batteries.

3 Likes

Let me know as soon as you have them ready man, meanwhile I need to start saving :pensive:

1 Like

Could you implement a fusable link into the pcb? Either into the pcb itself or a set of pads that can be soldered/welded to?