My Trampa caught fire last weekend

I´m sorry Dude that you lost your board, instead happy that it happens outside ! It was a very nice build for sure.

1 Like

10 bucks the balance leads or main leads got cut from the flexing shorting on one of the other wires or exposed ends of a battery pack. But thank God it happened outside the inside.

My condolences. Yeah, glad it happened outside for sure jeez :worried:

Besides the helmet, protection pads, truck tool, maybe some spare belts, always carry a fire extinguisher when rinding your electric longboard.

If this happens then there would be no short between then, they run the same polarity so that might not be the culprit, but I’m guessing that it could be the balancing wires

That could really be the cause, those wires were flexing along with the thick wires, if one of those worn our until they were exposed that could have vaporized in one second with even low current, so in this case not even a fuse could have saved the board from caching fire.

I’m thinking about removing the BMS on my next build it has been a proven to be more problem than a fix, at least on flexible packs.

Btw I’ve been riding my Trampa with no BMS for the past 4 months and the packs were perfectly balanced

1 Like

What BMS was that? Did you check the voltage of single packs before this happened?

It happened on one of our builds too! I think the common denominator is the flexy deck. The flex joints on the batteries won’t last forever. Even soft silicon wires break down from movement. I agree with @scepterr on the location of the problem. And once the short was there the other cells would have been effected as well. We had the same result. Nothing left to inspect…

Sorry for your loss!

4 Likes

Is the Trampa deck conductive? I think some part of it is carbon fiber

1 Like

So sorry for that!! That just sounds and looks terrible😥 How about a gofundme page so you can start with another trampa build and begin testing to help prevent this? I’ll happily help out!

1 Like

It’s glass fiber or some other non conductive material. I probed all the holes in the deck to make sure it was non conductive. (Not on this deck, but another trampa deck)

3 Likes

Shit man, Glad you are okay. I had a lithium fire on me about a month ago, its some scary shit. You really never know with these boards man.

Saw this in the no words pic thread, I’m sorry for your loss.

#dislike

So sorry man. Glad you and your family is ok

Man this is so sad and scary, an esk8 nightmare :scream: so sorry! I think when there is an internal short in the battery neither a fuse nor a BMS could help. They would cut off the vescs but in case of fire this makes no difference.

Very sorry for your loss. From the pictures… can you salvage any of it? Or no bueno?

im sorry for your loss :cry: damn that was a nice board

That’s serious environmental pollution!:cry:

Here is a small footage, I was hesitant to upload it as I didn’t want to cause panic and contribute on bans on eboards on the street with a viral video, so I uploaded it as private.

The video is impressive and sad at the same time at the end so I cut it out.

8 Likes

@Eboosted Sorry to see this happening

I think @scepterr is right on this,

the balance leads maybe got cut and shorted the hole thing, also in the future when working on this U configuration it is good to have a separator layer between the 2 row, I use silicone to make it one piece, alone the highlight lines, this way there is no rubbing of the cells.

Also connector soldered directly to the battery is a big NO NO, this connectors hold too much heat during the soldering process and once attached to the battery will dump all that heat into the cell, most likely killing it.

Lastly this guys

This isolator are no good, because in the event of a short the glue will caught on fire and burn the isolator pad of the battery and then the poles are just expose, leading to a serious short.

Man this is sad but luckily no bigger damage.

4 Likes

Im so sorry brother, yell if I can do anything to help you get back riding.