My parents won't let me get an eboard

As a parent I wouldn’t allow my kids to ride esk8s unless I had built them myself, allowing me to control max speed etc.

You’re lucky to have parents that care about you not getting hurt.

Time is your friend.

4 Likes

I could make the argument that building and falling is good cuz it teaches what works and what doesn’t. I started with all Chinese parts installed super sketchily, it didnt go over 15mph. I slowly upgraded everything until I had a dual 6384 beast (it got up into the high 30’s low 40’s). I bought full pads tho, body armor, full face, etc.

All I’m saying is that there is definitely something to be said for learning completely independently

3 Likes

dude, do what i did. At 16 i wanted to build an esk8. So i picked subjects at school accordingly so that i needed a major project. I picked electronics :wink: Basically i gave my parents a run down and said “i need financial assistance in this”. and because it was my hsc major they sort of needed to help me lol. BUT in your case, you can do the “I’ll be building an esk8 for my major. but dont you worry! I’ll be paying for all of it!” 95% chance it’ll work. Also dont be a pest. for you and your parents sake. leave it till they forget about it and then bring it up again. don’t be impatient. the more time you have to think about it, the more research you can do and the more knowledgeable you will be. Trust me on this one :grin:

2 Likes

My advice respect your parents don’t be a snitch who goes around talking about the bad-ish things they’ve done.

And maybe you won’t find yourself on reddit asking for advice because that’s a slippery sloap that could lead to stupidity .

Try be rational and don’t do anything stupid.

1 Like

What if… “your friend got a new board”…

If you snowboard… skiers are no different than cars. You are moving, they are moving… but you probably won’t die if you hit one… or they hit you…

Ever consider getting a straight up long board to start with… demonstrate to them that you aren’t worthy of a Darwin award and that you aren’t going to die without the help of Edison and Tesla… then mod that thing after they get used to that last idea? You can always McFly your way around for awhile… just don’t get caught…

I think it was said… they probably just want to keep you alive…

Take off one of the rear wheels, wham it’s a scooter without handlebars

Yeah that could actually work

Yeah, I understand, there’s just such a low chance of anything happening

Thanks! That sounds like a great plan

Yeah definitely, I think if it didn’t go as fast I could work my way up

1 Like

Agreed, wish they’d let me get one

1 Like

Yeah, that could work, I can even say it’s school related

A lot of things are more dangerous than eboards😂

Nope, it’s just outside a nice town so there’s funding to keep the roads nice

1 Like

I think it’s a “anything that goes fast and a car can hit” issue

Threaten them! Tell them you are going to give up on sex, drugs and alcohol and devote your life to study 14 hours a day. Everybody knows it…that kind of people end up bonkers so they will let you ride. Btw 15mph is enough for you imo.

1 Like

Honestly what parents make a contract based on good behavior for 17 days? Wth have you been doing recently?

6 Likes

Yeah, 17 days isn’t long…it takes longer to get parts from China half the time

1 Like

@Agrelle i dont know how old you are or how you saved up for a boosted board but i used to have a good agreement with my parents where “money i earn is mine”.

They set me up my own savings account that i had sole access to, this was for money i earn only, gift money didn’t count. Things that i brought with this money belonged to me and were not under my parents control. If i saved for a phone or games console it could not be confiscated as punishment because it was mine and i had earned it.

Once i realized this I had both incentive to save money and an appreciation for its worth. This quickly encouraged me to get a paper round and then a weekend job. looking back this was a great idea from them. It taught me to respect my possessions and also to be financially responsible. honestly i made some great purchases and also brought a few things that turned out to be a waste of money but i guess that’s part of the learning process.

It might seem like stating again from the beginning but maybe you could convince your parents to enter a similar agreement. earning money is different to saving money. if you can earn enough for a boosted it shows that your committed to the idea, you understand its worth and your likely to look after it. its cost your parents nothing and if it doesn’t work out then you’ve learnt a life lesson.

. . . if all that fails then pretend your interested in getting a motorbike, suddenly eskate doesn’t sound so bad :smile:

4 Likes

@Agrelle I think you should stress the educational aspect of ESK8 to your parents. Building an ESK8 (especially if you design some parts yourself) teaches you 100X more than any course you’ll take in highschool.

1 Like