My parents won't let me get an eboard

Alright then last resort Make a PowerPoint Include all the pros and cons Make the cons sound good Lie about the price And make them feel guilty when u cant finish it. (Dont do this its a dick move) Finish the board.

And if this doesnt work tell em your gonna use the money instead to buy drugs and spiral down into a pit of depression and drop out of school.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s, that things fun in the winter though

1 Like

This could work​:thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Go to a grocery store and buy a visa gift card with your cash. A lot of vendors take them!

No wait, don’t…listen to your parents!

7 Likes

Whats really fun is riding boards in the snow

I would probably get grounded and then they’d take all of my money and buy my brother an eboard and not let me use it

Yeah, that does sound fun

As a parent to just a 4 year old. I fight myself in what I would “allow” my daughter to do in the future. I would LOVE for her to ride one in a few years, but going very slow and not next to cars. but I fear what would happen with this kind of transportation freedom when she gets older. I would’ve gotten into all kinds of trouble (regular skateboards took a lot of my study time in high school and college)

Knowing a few people who died from this activity really messes with your head as an adult and parent. It’s not the rider’s ability that’s in question either, sometimes it’s the environment around you, If you ride next to where cars drive, one crash in the wrong direction might mean a car hitting you. So parents keeping you away from it is understandable.

At 15, no “contract” is binding as you are really not at a legal age to sign documents anyway. Best to really TALK to your parents, 25mph is actually really fast on something that can have a fault and throw you off. Consider going a bit slower and be FULLY padded to win parents approval.

If you build then it’s educational as well and this can lead to future passion for design/CAD work, mechanical/electrical engineering and such. Make this a learning thing instead of a pure riding thing.

11 Likes

Thanks, that helps a lot👍

Shit how did i forget this one.

3 Likes

Parents love facts… give them examples of activities they mY approve lf thaf are more dangerous, tell them about the safety precautions you will take and honestly, the last resort would be to call them out on them not honoring their deal. Is that the example they want to set? Does this mean you can back out of commitments with no recourse?

2 Likes

My response to when my dad attempted not letting me go to a Metallica concert when I was 13 was to punch him in the chest. I got to go to the show. But I regret that to this day. Basically what happened was I had never acted in such a way but I was so impassioned that it boiled over. Maybe try to find a less violent way to convey

1 Like

I just threw everything from this dicussion at them and it’s still no. I don’t know what to do, I want to be a part of this community so bad

1 Like

Let them sleep on it. You don’t want to annoy them. Explain that your speed controller is programmable and reiterate your plans for safety.

Or just sell out for it and ask them what amount of chores it takes to make this work

2 Likes

I’m also 15 and I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I just finished building my first board though. The thing that convinced my parents to let me make one was the brakes. Before my longboard was electric, I was regularly bombing hills at over 25 mph and hoping I didn’t crash. I actually fell 3 times at high speeds, and have a nasty scar to show for each fall. I was going 25 mph without a motor, so the idea of no extra speed and the addition of brakes was really appealing to my parents. Also, my parents really loved that I was learning from it. They want me to be successful in life as an engineer or entrepreneur so they didn’t want to suppress my creativity. I would stress the idea of being able to slow down, and say that the process of making the board is just as fun and important as riding it in the end.

7 Likes
  1. -if you need the original contract I can see why they don’t want you to have a esk8 2.- you’re 17, I think the best way it’s to wait till next year
  2. Think like them, they are worried for you health, as someone that almost die I can tell that looking your parents cry while you are at a hospital bed not knowing if you’re gonna walk out of that or not its a shitty position, and I’ve seen more that 1 case of dudes running over esk8s 4.- part of having something that can go 25mph+ or - it’s like they giving you a car, and at 17, with friends, we can do stupid things… Believe me. 5.-calm down and think, then talk to them, then showthem this forum and reask if you can have 1 with the facts. 6.-dont know what you want to study at the degree, if you want to be an engineer, then showthem this forum, and tell them what you want in the future and that this will help you developer yours skills 7.-sorry for the long post
2 Likes

take it from a kid who’s 12, freaking beg. my parents didn’t care what i said i would do, they wanted action. they also needed to know how safe i would be cause i’m a daredevil. i’d been skateboarding for a year before and had proven i could be safe. i also promised i would set the best settings so i couldn’t go faster than 10 mph. (like i actually did that. :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

XD “a daredevil” blind and dangerous?

Ok, so I am 16 now and here is what I did to get my parents to be ok with me esk8ing. I first chose a board and told them about the speed and other things upfront, then when they said no, I thought I would do some math to see how much money I would save if I were to ride my esk8 to school and work, which was a decent amount including insurance and gas. They then said they would think about it. I later went to a local electric vehicle store which had a bunch of e bikes, scooters and the inboard m1. Because my dad used to skateboard I thought he would like it and thus allow me to buy one. He really liked it and was actually interested in getting one for himself to go to work but most pre-built boards don’t have the range he needed (this was before I new about DIY and the forum). He ended up buying an ebike and convinced my mom that the esk8 was safe and stable. I wish you luck on your journey :smile:

2 Likes

Okay, I think I’m going to talk to them tomorrow about it because they are not going to change their mind about it today.