My obsession with idler pulleys

They created a bit more resistance. Since removing them I haven’t had any issues with belt skipping so I have kept them off.

@GrecoMan if that’s your bet, you should avoid vegas. The Bestorq belts from Amazon I mentioned I got from Amazon a few posts up were a perfect fit.

Woah my bad, just knew you had a bad experience with belt sizing before

Makes sense. I’d assume you were not having a whole lot of problem with slippage due to your huge motor pulley, 22t iirc. I wonder if it would have been the same non issue had you chosen to run a less insane ratio with a motor pulley of 13-16t. :slight_smile:

I’m running a 15T motor pulley but still no slipping.

How’s your uphill/downhill performance?

(Mine’s amazing)

3 Likes

I don’t have space on my motor mount to make a hole for a screw that would hold the bearings, would metal epoxy (or whatever that adhesive which is supposed to be as strong as metal is called) be strong enough to just glue the bolt on the edge of motor mount?

No epoxy will not hold

1 Like

JB Weld won’t hold up

1 Like

Uphill performance is actually ridiculously good! I haven’t found a hill yet that I can’t climb. There is a hill on my route to work that is steep enough that some cars have problems with while raining and I can ride up it about 22mph at about 3/4 throttle, of course while it is dry. Down hill herebis scare if you build to much speed!

1 Like

I’m telling you, the extra 1 or 2 teeth… They’re the key to taking control of the drivetrain. I am limited by my contact-patch alone. Again, however, I urge our readers to understand that the primary benefit of the belt manipulation is to afford relief to the stress on the motor bearings. Secondary benefits may include: longer belt life, better DOWNHILL BRAKING, unrivaled hill-crushing ability, and the satisfaction of knowing you improved something that is already awesome for an extended price of about $5+belts.

1 Like

I can get the tires to spin on acceleration when not on concrete or pavement and at full brake the wheels will slide on pavement. I see no improvement gain as for tooth engagement. I do however completely agree that running looser belts by aid of an idler is much much better on the motor bearings. Especially with the added strain of pneumatics.

2 Likes

Ill be rockin an idler by the end of this week, very curious to see difference

1 Like

Use a shoulder bolt! I’m going to take it all apart later tonight, and document all the little details that I left out of the original post. Hopefully by tomorrow, I will edit the original part of this thread to include the bolt size and type, and location that I used.

1 Like

I got the mount from @Lionkev55 coming

Damn! I just noticed the size of the wheel pulley in relation to the idler pulley. I can see that that location may do more harm than good. It would have to be much closer to the motor pulley to have any beneficial effects. The main purpose of the tensioner is to affect the smaller pulley. It seems that in your setup, the motor plate isnt wide enough for a proper pulley location

Sorry I didn’t realize that sooner, my B

That’s pretty much what I ended up figuring out. Thanks for the infor though!

14 Likes

Dude, sweet! Are you bolting into the motor directly?

how does it perform ?