My obsession with idler pulleys

M4*24mm

M4*8mm 6.5mmOD steel threaded spacer

4135mm bearings

2 Likes

I am super-confused. Everyone keeps saying “slack side” but they are all referring to the side under the most tension when braking – because during hard braking is when belts skip. So the “slack side” when accelerating is actually the side that takes the most force [during a hard brake].

TL;DR: the slack-side switches sides constantly

3 Likes

Iv’e seen the slack thing mentioned a lot. And I believe people are talking about best practices for idlers and belts not best practice for esk8 performance.

The slack side is normally(around here) the “drive” side instead of the “braking” side because that’s the way the belt is running for the majority of your ride. You are moving forward way more than you are braking.

Most of these belts are ran one direction their entire lifespan(outside of esk8)

2 Likes

Im currently running 20T-32T on a 12S 168Kv 15mm and it never slips with light belt tention. currently im changing it to 20-45. Personally I would never go with anything smaller than 16T due to the tention in the belt to stop slipping.

1 Like

@ANTONIO @Maxid @Deckoz what’s going w the flag war in this thread? Can you pls take the debate into a PM?

2 Likes

@treenutter Ah I was just trying to keep the topic on something useful other then who was first to do what. There’s tons of good info in the thread. No need to derail with a “I thought of this first nonsense” lol. Continuing the silence unless someone asks something of me. Feel free to remove my posts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thx. I’m going to delete the “I was first” subthread that happened here.

4 Likes

Thank you!! You mods are REALLY awesome, I want to be one

as do I, unfortunately it won’t happen :joy:

So I was planning to run 18T on my dual 6374 setup, do you think I should fit an idler still? I take it I’d have to make a mount with a dedicated hole to fit it closer to the motor pulley.

18T for higher top speed and reckon two 6374s will give me enough torque to move my 90kg self.

1 Like

I’d think you’d have enough engagement with an 18 or 20t that and idler wouldn’t be of benefit. Both of those should leave you with 12+ teeth engaged on up to about a 50t wheel pulley with a 85mm+ center to center…

2 Likes

finally i did it too! on belt short 265mm. it doesnt engage the whole 15mm but works great!

2 Likes

@chaka can you explain how your idler is assembled?

Do you think you it can be made to work on a shoulder bolt? If so can you sell the bearings and the part that goes around it? Really tight on space and something like this might work. For 15mm

2 Likes

I’ve got some low profile idlers for sale, $10 or 2 for $15 shipped. Works well with 12-15mm belts, has adjustable spacing.

1 Like

I can make these available.

1 Like

Would it work on this shoulder bolt. What bearings are you sing 8x16x5? How much $?

1 Like

Are these the enertion motor mounts? I want some on my R1 but for me it looks like it’s too sketchy to do it on the side…

what do you mean by on side? big one is holding by bolt and nuts. small one is threaded

Because that part is carbon and the hole you would drill is quite on the side of the mount… So you pulled thread in this carbon fibre for the small one ?

@Titoxd10001 My pulley comes with an 8m threaded bolt and locknut.