My obsession with idler pulleys

what size belt are you using? Did you make the holes in enertion motor mount (assuming its enertion) what size screws did you use?

Not sure who your asking but I bought them because they have lots of room for larger pulleys and idlers http://www.trampaboards.com/trampa-urban-carver-motormount-kits-p-13623.html

@jmasta This is why you keep the idler to the slack side. If you run it on the drive side it will cause premature wear and increase drag within the drive. During braking the slack side becomes tight but the intermittent usage does not seem to effect belt life.

@scepterr you need to enclose your bearings with a low profile bolt to get the clearance.

8 Likes

Hey guys, how warm do your belts get when using an idler? I added an idler today and at full speed the belt gets noticeably warm.

I did add idler pulley few days ago no problems yet , no belt warming fix the Pulley properly and warming issues will be fixed took a lot of effort to fix warming issues but it is fixable just a proper fitting

What does “fix the pulley” mean? There is only so much you can do with the pulleys - the only thing left is belt tension then. How loose should it be to not be left with the same slippage as without an idler?

Got 10mm wide bearing in

5 Likes

thats damn sexy

3 Likes

I dont get why anyone hasn’t done smaller bearings mounted directly to the motor like me…

Shorter center to center distance(idler bearing, motor pulley), less leverage on the bearings, engages significantly more teeth.

4 Likes

Still waiting on proper recessed bolt…almost there lol

3 Likes

Where did you get the kevlar belts

1 Like

He’s got some surprisingly nice belts for good prices, just a wierd selection https://www.ebay.com/itm/GATES-RUBBER-POWERGRIP-HTD-122DS-330-5M-15-KEVLAR-MINIATURE-BELT-LOT-OF-2-/282544275035

1 Like

Mmm magic

3 Likes

My modded tb mount. I’m using a 285 belt, and the idlers make it really easy to tighten the motor.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Moar photos plz

There’s lots way up there ^^

1 Like

I went m6 for the strength, and have already stripped one of the m4 motor holes, so that thought never occurred to me when planning the mod. It’s a clever solution though, I really like the idea… have you had any problems at all?

After reading in your posts I also tried it with the smaller bearings - works like a charm - thank you!

1 Like

Ok so after a couple weeks playing with a couple configurations and idler placements (deck side or road side) I can’t have the belt any more loose than when I had no idler, and now the idler just heats the belt. Am I missing something? I haven’t tried using idler on both sides yet.