My obsession with idler pulleys

How does this look 15/40T 330mm belt

5 Likes

Pretty damn good!!

Got the belt pretty loose and I can’t make it skip by hand, turning both motor and wheel towards each other or away

That’s great, the test speaks for itself! Just be careful not to drag your wheels, lol

that looks super loose almost loose enough to be able to pull the belt over the flange on the pulley

Almost but not quite, I tried giving it as much slack as possible on one side and pulling it over the flange. Also stuck a few twigs in there and let them get chewed up(seems to happen to me daily lol) all good. I’ll find out on my commute to work tomorrow how it handles downhill breaking :wink:

Ok nice looking forward to hearing this. I think I’m gonna use chain for my next board they have kits on eBay for $15au that is insanely cheap

Currently using the stock skate bearings I pulled out of my wheels when I put ceramics in them and they work fine as idler pulleys but I’m debating on if I want to get more ceramics to replace them. Anyone online that has done this? I thought if they were ceramic like the ones in my wheels I’d never need to replace them seeing as they idler bearings never get dirty.

Mine get filthy!!

Ceramics are not worth the money IMO. Certainly not for this application. When mine start deteriorating, I’ll replace them with another set for $1-$2 each. No sweat.

3 Likes

Anybody try just speed washers on a bolt vs bearings? I mean for our use does it really have to be a bearing?

1 Like

Although there’s little to no load, they spin really really fast. I feel like they’d heat up quickly that way.

Are there speed washers made out of a metal that wouldn’t heat up fast? Ultimately they could be cut from a tube of any metal that suits our needs and whatever width…

1 Like

In a perfect (frictionless) world, that would suffice. However, the ideal solution is a bigger pulley to minimize the bending that the belt is subjected to. The pulleys used in @chaka and @Nowind 's setups are the most ideal, for an example. You want to engage the extra teeth on the motor pulley with the least amount of intrusion into the motor mount, so as to avoid limiting the ctc range

Most of them are made of metal. Just the friction on the bolt would cause a lot of heat. Wear would probably be bad too.

1 Like

I’m trying to reduce the width of the idling device, in order to limit the mount length required to fit a 107mm/36-40t setup, looking at about 170mm mount length atm which is not acceptable lol Trying to cut distances anywhere possible

I wouldn’t recommend trying to use a smaller diameter idler. A 608 bearing is already undersized. The smaller the idler, the more stress on the belt

For 5mm HTD, a minimum diameter of 31.8mm is recommend for the idler. For comparison, a 608 bearing is only 22mm OD

3 Likes

Damn science always getting in the way

6 Likes

someone’s gotta change pyshics man… so annoying

5 Likes

I was using 13mm bearings and breaking belts like crazy, that combined with 12t pulley stressed the belt too much, like @jmasta said, 608 is already to small, but for our application bigger than that you have space constrains

Yeah but I didn’t get super amazing ceramics either these ones are 2$ if you get a set of 10. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested.