My Landwheel V4 Build

I’ve just purchased the drive. I hope to see great improvements in the future from this company. I was thinking about the onan x2 before deciding on the landwheel purchase, but after gathering some information about their hardware durability, I changed my mind. On the other hand, mellow is just too expensive, it’ll just make me feel like riding my track instead. Giving landwheel a shot may just be a highly anticipated risk, but I have a soft spot for companies that thrive on their customer service; making their product have a potential status. Will update once I test out the drive, thanks for providing great information on this thread and the original landwheel thread.

U can hear that sound when u manually rotate the wheel by hand

Also, I have noticed that there are arcs between my battery and the charger when i am trying to plug the battery into the charger. This happens even with the charger turned off.

I got a refund on the Landwheel drive because I decided to go diy. I did not test out the system, I asked for a refund before shipment as I changed my mind. The product needs improvement from what I have read about it. I do hope all goes well for the Landwheel team because they’re definitely one of a kind. Customer service is still outstanding for me, for all the b.s. they dealt with while I was undecided. Even after the purchase was made, they continued to resolve my payment. Like no other company I have came across, these guys truly do a outstanding job being a honest company. I would still love to have myself a boosted drive like the Landwheel to attach a board of my choice onto it. Once the Landwheel have resolved all their current issues, it’ll definitely be a good purchase!

1 Like

They are awesome and the product is slowly but steadily getting there (been working closely with Landwheel for months now).

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’ve been using my v4 for a while and I have noticed a couple of things. Aside from the braking issue, which is indeed way too strong and it seems to only have one “strength”.

In fast mode, when I accelerate too much too fast, the board cuts out and throws me off. I wish the board would just have a set max acceleration and that’s it.

I’ve also noticed that on a full battery I can take it full speed (which is insane) but after a few kilometers, 3 maybe, the board cuts out at top speed and I coast until I let go of the throttle completely and accelerate again. As the battery goes down, that cut out speed also goes down. Meaning if I only have one “bar” left, I can probably just throttle 50% before it cuts out. I know it’s a voltage thing but is the drive’s tolerance too low or is it the batteries?(I have 2)

Are you guys also experiencing the same thing?

Voltage sag I’d imagine…

I agree with @Ezekiel28-17. I have experienced the same top speed/acceleration limitations at around half the battery level. It seems like the board refuses to accelerate once my battery indicator starts to blink at the 2nd light, just before the red one. Which is roughly after 7km worth of skating. I wonder if this is because the drive is trying to save battery life??

@Landwheel

Hi, Ive been looking at the Landwheel as an option for a while now, any news on a V5 release?

Any updates on this, I’m keen to pick one of these up when the issues are resolved, @Technotron has there been progress?

Current news is that the TEST units will be shipped mid November

Is this of the V4? I saw on reddit that they’re now teasing the v5

V4 is crap now, We are all looking at “V5” replacement.

these V numbers are named by us, the customers. To Landwheel, the product is really only called L3 and the latest will be L3-X which is what we are calling V5

The history of their failures are:

V1 - Melting phase wires V2 - Melting and shorting battery connection (arcing) V3 - Beep of Death (for me at least) board stops and just beeeeeps until a reboot V4 - Harsh brakes and low battery life, their safety feature cuts off the board at 50% battery life giving us only a 3 mile range V5 - Supposedly fixes the above issues and also provide thicker wheels

Sounds like you’re losing the faith. Really appreciate the great information all of you have put out to this thread. I’m going to wait until I see your thoughts on gen 5 before taking the plunge.

It’s hard not to lose faith when a board constantly tries to kill you! One version somewhere between V3 and V4 had brakes that went from 0% to 100%, it was either go or stop. The current V4 that’s out does something like 0% - 20% - 60% - 100% so it jolts from one point to the next. The V5 is supposed to smooth out that braking jolt.

Their customer service and promise to provide us with a better improved product is great though, it is just frustrating paying for two units over a year ago and just haven’t had anything really usable so far

I was wondering if it was just me with the V4 range issue. Brakes and range are bad but it feels close to be a fully working product. What do I need to do to get a replacement?

I’m experiencing same issues. Its tons better than the other versions but I tend to go high speed and when It loses power after 5 seconds its something I cant recomend either.

@pkasanda should we invite all these people into our group? There are quite a few more “public” LW users who are experiencing problems or should we suggest that Landwheel just contact ALL of their customers and consider the V4s a recall?

@Ezekiel28-17 @adman where did you guys purchase your drive from? Have you reached out to Landwheel or your sales person in regards to you issues?

alibaba. I will let eileen know whats up. This is my fourth one so far.

Mike:

I think each person in this forum should contact the rep that they purchased from and document the specific problems that the are having. Instead of requesting an immediate replacement…request a replacement to be authorized for when the specified problems are resolved in the V5 (aka L3-X).

For those of you that have a Landwheel V3 or V4, Mike and I can share some early signals that there is good news around the corner. Mike and I have worked with Landwheel to assemble a team of beta testers around the world to evaluate the Landwheels and make recommendations for improvements. Landwheel has been extremely responsive. So much so that I think it is fair to say they have incorporated every single suggestion thus far. The beta team includes a combination of riders who are light/heavy, expert riders/novice, long distance/short, rough/smooth road conditions. We were also fortunate to have several experts in in battery management systems.

This team ran the V4a, V4b, and V4c through test rides where we measured both range and battery voltage at each power down.

In response to the extensive testing and feedback, landwheel has incorporated the following improvements into what they are calling the L3-X.

The beta test team expects to start receiving samples soon. So we can’t yet comment on how effective the changes are. Landwheel has shared with us what to expect. This includes:

1. Entirely new circuit board, waterproof, encased in resin. The limitation is that the battery connection is not waterproof. So while the circuit board is protected from dust and moisture, the absence of a waterproof battery connection means this is not a waterproof unit.

2. The thickness of the PU has been increased significantly and the grade of PU has been improved. This should reduce vibration. In turn this should, reduce stress on the motors, axles, electronics and the riders ankle and joints.

3. The replacement of the circuit board and the remote is intended to provide more progressive braking to overcome the risk of heavy riders being unable to maintain footing while braking.

4. The battery has completely new BMS. My understanding is that this should increase range and provide improved power down behavior. I believe that they may have also increased the battery capacity. I’m speculating a bit on the last point. I only know that that the L3-X runs on a different battery. I’m speculating the capacity has increased because I believe the beta test team was successful in convincing Land wheel that V4 battery capacity was a limitation. The L3 X also requires a different charger. This further supports my speculation that the battery capacity or voltage has increased.

5. I have been told that the tab that holds the battery in place has also been strengthened to better cope with potential sheer forces when riding over bumps.

I hope the above news provides everyone in this forum with some hope. The thing to do now is not to request an immediate replacement but to document your basis for an eventual replacement with a newer version. Contact your reps for this.

Keep in mind that Chinese companies have a separation of responsibilities. The reps, (who are not employees of the manufacturers) are incented to ship units and don’t really know if issues have been resolved. They also lack the authority to tell a customer that they might be better off waiting for a later release of the product. So if you have a Landwheel and it’s broken, my recommendation is don’t burn a free replacement until you have convincing evidence that all the issues are resolved. Mike and I can return to this forum to advise you of when the beta team has reached this conclusion.

As with most things, a cup that is half empty is also half full. You may have purchased a unit from Landwheel and it may have already broken or may not be working to your satisfaction. That’s not all bad. The price you paid is likely much lower than what the perfected product will cost. From what Mike and I have seen, the company has a generous replacement policy so it is very unlikely that any one of you will be disappointed at the finish line. The way I look at it, every electric skateboard is a gamble. For example, I purchase a boosted board G1 then waited almost a year for it to show up. Same story with the G2 boosted board and my Onewheel. I’ve waited for well over a year for my high capacity G2 battery and it’s still being delayed. I’ve tried building a few DIY boards but mostly, I’ve fried Vescs and switches. While I never purchased a Raptor, I understand there were many delays and early shipments had problems. What ever you might say about the Landwheels that broke, everyone seems to agree that Landwheel is very ethical about replacements and is working towards building a solid brand reputation. I’d like to conclude with a few hints about what might be the shortcomings in your V4’s. I’ll do this because some in the forum were wondering if certain issues were unique to just their units.

There were three different versions of the V4. The beta team called them V4a, V4b, and V4c. V4a: Over powered brakes. Circuit boards tended to fail. PU Wheels wore out V4b: Brakes slightly improved for lighter riders but still far too powerful for heavier riders. Circuit boards tended to fail. Sudden power cut-off when climbing hills or near end of battery range. PU Wheels wore out. Lighter riders rode these units very successfully but were fearful of the shut downs and sudden brake force V4c: This version saw the introduction of a graceful power reduction instead of power off behavior when climbing hills. Unfortunately, the range of the unit dropped to just a few kilometers, sometimes less. The brakes were changed again. Some lighter riders liked the reduction in brake force but noticed a significant one or two second delay in brake activation. Heavier riders still could not stay on the board. PU wheels wore out. The Circuit board had a near zero failure rate. Lighter riders rode these units very successfully (except for range).

So my advice is to report the issues that affect your unit and kindly request to get in line for an eventual replacement.

Mike and I will keep you posted on L3-X testing outcomes.

Thanks

pk

2 Likes