My findings on 18650's and 21700's and a little "awards" show at the end

Good work. I think it’s useful even if real life usage is different constant Vs burst, refering to imperical data and curating the info is extremely useful for those who face choice

But you need to add this bad MF

Mooch likes https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/bench-test-results-early-samples-molicel-p42a-45a-4000mah-21700-great-30a-battery-beats-40t.884615/

Also the widely available and cheap for specs #Sanyo NCR20700B

2 Likes

Last time I checked the 18650 cells for my ebike pack I came away with the impression that there is basically no difference between a 30Q and Sanyo GA or the MJ1 (or any other higher capacity cell) because the benefit of that additional capacity comes only into play at a voltage level that I usually want to start charging the pack again anyway as the voltage starts to drop rapidly.

21700 cells are too expensive for little to no benefit compared to 30Q (You could just stick an additional 30Q in your pack and be probably better of)

But that’s just my 2cts!

3 Likes

Depends on the price

image image

1 Like

hm? 30Q all the way in your example

A 10S3P Sanyo has 12750mAh and costs 145.5€

A 10S4P 30Q has 12000mAh and costs 141.6€ plus will be the better pack (as I said the added capacity is meaningless because of voltage level plus the 4P will perform better in terms of voltage sag plus will withstand more cycles as you are not pushing the individual cells as hard)

Edit: Funny detail - both packs will have the exact same weight of 1836g according to the data on lygte-info (30x61,2g vs 40x45,9g)

4 Likes

To be honest if you really want to compare cells for out use case, you would have to run them at the same conditions

For example, get the data from @bevilacqua , from the acceleration curve derive a current curve and put that in cells of various configuration that are equivalent to what they would experience on a battery pack of different sizes and cells

It’s a big and expensive project, but would certainly produce valuable data

Kudos for who has the money and time to do that

(@PXSS I know you can’t say much, but do you do something similar at work or not so extended like this?)

2 Likes

Yes exactly. I need to know how all the cells perform going like this.

3 Likes

That’s understandable, that information would be useful.

The only problem is I collected all this data by hand. If I were to curate it and equalize it for that specific use case, then it would be useless for any other different board.

If you guys want to be able to plug in your board specs and have it spit out battery choices, then it really needs to be organized like a database, with each battery having it’s own curves for different uses.

It’s just incredibly hard to do without a LOT of data, most of which isn’t supplied by the datasheet.

For that kind of information you’d need to turn to data collection IRL to record the entire discharge cycle at various currents. Same goes for cycle lifetime unfortunately.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a lot of work

I think the best we can do is look at all the data you compiled and also read the opinion of people that test a lot of batteries

1 Like

If you want really high re-gen within given specs I would suggest a high grade lipo. Some are “rated” for 5c or 10c charge!

But back to lion 18560’s, the charge rate is given as a constant rate from empty to full which will never happen in a skateboard. They can take a much higher burst charge. Problem is no one is making data on that use case. So long as the batteries are not getting hot I think you are fine. Also most people will set a higher regen rate (over spec) for safety over reduced cycle life.

I for sure would rather less cycle life then crashing into a car at high speed cause I didnt have enough brakes.

1 Like

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Molicel%20INR21700-P42A%204200mAh%20(Gray)%20UK.html

Never heard of Molicel before, but dang that’s a pretty beastly cell.

3 Likes

There was a guy on E-S using them for years on his e-bike (his company sourced batteries from them), back in the days he was very happy with Molicell :+1:t4:

I might still have his messages somewhere… Definitely this new one with 30A discharge & 4000mah is very interesting.

3 Likes