My diy board was destroyed today!

VESC would time out (default 1 second I believe), but by default there’s no braking current set for timeouts.

He said already he adjusted it to 0.4 seconds. And when the timeout is triggered it gives no power or brakes. But it doesn’t give power.

Man I need to read better.

So definitely the remote huh?

I don’t know the exact cause. And I run out of equipment to test or reproduce the issue ;(. But yes, I can confirm the constant speed before and after I jumped off. Could it be the vesc was overheat and misbehave?

1 Like

My votes with the remote. If you still have it maybe you can do some testing with it and find out, exactly how idk maybe ackmaniac can think of something.

Yes, I agree there are number of potential issue; but the board was working fine a whole 10 minutes before this issue. I accelerated after a stop light, and my remote lost control.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the receiver anymore, it was threw away together with a whole mess of battery, vesc.

1 Like

I have to agree with @Ackmaniac that is some type of remote issue…not sure if it’s related to the actual signal or settings.

Man this Esk8 crashes are getting more and more epic

3 Likes

Its only a matter of time until someone makes the news.

1 Like

Tis true… … eh…people get hurt or killed all the time…it’s when it becomes major property damage…now that’s when we are fucked…let’s just say that fire set the whole dang train :steam_locomotive: set a blaze :fire: lol holy cheese and biscuits Batman…that’s when we get under the microscope and people start really paying attention.

Maybe we start collectively, some how police ourselves, by maybe setting up some standard rules of the road type stuff that’s common sense but not too restrictive. A difficult balance. Maybe some safety tips in various subjects. Maybe we have people re check some of the components that were used in his build, maybe other people have experienced the same issue. Collecting that type of data would be useful in many different ways.

Just ideas to keep the party going under the nose of the man.

I mean technically most of the production boards are actually illegal in CA according to the esk8 law which includes boosted/evolve, not to mention the DIYer. The law def needs to be changed as I’ve read somewhere that the law was heavily influenced by an esk8 company to have the it specifically cater to their boards specs of having a speed of 20mph or less. Lobbying at its finest.

More attention could be both good or bad depending on the circumstances.

Huh? Most production boards are not illegal in CA. Some are illegal, but most fall within the legal realm. Even those that have higher than legal wattage ratings are okay simply because it’s impossible to enforce.

2 Likes

I’m just going straight off this thread

not aware if the laws been changed recently.

Near the middle says maximum speed of 20mph. While its true no cop is gonna pull you over and check out your 18650 cells, it could be bad though if you somehow end up in a courtroom situation which is entirely possible given what happened to quietbun.

yea that’s why nearly all mfg’s limit their speed, but really no one’s gonna bust you for going 22mph either. Also, the law, IIRC, only applies the wattage limit at the motors, not discharge potential or watt hours of a pack.

Yea I have yet to see anyone get pulled over in SF for riding their board. Most cops don’t even give a second glance. How you find yourself in a courtroom is a different matter though.

What I’m saying is if someone finds themselves in a courtroom talking with a judge, they might refer to the law and see it stating max speed 20mph while boosted and evolve are blatantly advertising 22mph+ top speed. I’ve never been in a courtroom so I don’t know how closely judges follow the law or how lenient they are.

Makes me wonder what happened to the guy in this thread

It’s not illegal to have a board that goes over 20mph though, it’s only illegal to go 20mph. Like cars they can go much faster than our speed limits, whether or not you do determines whether or not you’re breaking the law.

2 Likes

Gonna quote evoheyax

The law mentions the design of the board based on whether or not it is capable of 20mph+, drawing a line between electric skateboard or motorized skateboard (which is illegal apparently).

ah guess I remembered wrong. There are a lot of boards that fit the bill (literally) though. Riptide, Meepo, Genesis/Koowheel. The cheaper boards should fall within legality.

Those trains are on market, also embarcadero, I was on market and I saw an ambulance and fire truck behind me. I’m not sure if it was for this accident but just after that one street over I no doubt was being stalked by cops! They pulled over waited for me to pass and then pulled right behind me. I just followed the rules as if I was a car. I’ve never seen that before, it definitely was odd. Probably a coincidence.