My 1st. esk8 build - Alani Lani Mauna 44" Super Cruiser

Turning ability of the evolve truck. In case anyone didn’t notice this evolve truck is a double king pin truck, which means it has double turning radius of most trucks. watch the video jed board vs evolve. Both are great boards but the evolve kills it in the turn. You can watch beginners jump on the the board first time and ride it in 5 min. no offence to jed boards but evolve is killing it in many areas. many are now saying bamboo is the way to go over carbon for deck ass well.

2 Likes

The 306mm truck is awesome until you try to kick-push your board and you keep hitting the back wheel with your paw. Everything else about them is awesome. It’d be killer if the front ones were 350mm and the back ones were 250mm, especially with the SuperFly wheels about to drop on the scene

1 Like

No If you install them on this 44" deck, you wont hit a thing, specially with sidecuts like those (this board was made with Long Distance Push in mind)…

6 Likes

Ok boys, this esk8 Mauna its taking shape. I believe is the first one ever sporting Evolve trucks and MBS 100 mms. I’m so excited. Parts been sitting there eating dust for couple of weeks because I was waiting for a minuscule ítem to finally start the assembly… $ 4 dollar thin shock pads!

I went double set with those for each cutout. The Evolve trucks beign drop-thru requiered doubble safety padding in my personal opinion, above, between the truck plate and the deck, and below, between the deck and the holding nuts.

All because in order to achieve this project I choose the stiff Mauna 44" (they come in just two simple flexes, soft or stiff) because I need to store all the batteries and electronics below deck. This brought a different challenge… I needed more cushioning.

…all set, 100mm on the Evolve trucks with Speedball bearings (also from Evolve)…

…and finally …44" inches (47" if you count the wheels) of sleek hawaiian cruiser taking form…

5 Likes

…next step to skin the goat: mounts and motors.

That’s going to be really awesome. How many cells do you think you can fit on that deck?

2 Likes

Talked to Barajabali and he suggested 10s5p. Lets see if we can place so many cells below.

2 Likes

Dope man! The 100mbs and trucks really looks good together! Also, Where did you got the deck?

1 Like

This is an awesome project. I think I might build on this deck one day. It fits my Big Kahuna style lol.

How do you plan on fastening the enclousure to the deck? Looks tricky with the uneven surfaves and CFbconstructuon.

What will u use for an enclousure? Id think a CF enclousure would be ideal, Master cho enclosure? What have u got planned?

1 Like

…I think it will be 50 battery cells if I’m not mistaken. He is the expert. I’m off hand in that department.

Alani Lani, built in Hawaii, offices in Evergreen, Colorado. Talk to Bill Adams, nice guy. He will be surprise if you call him because I told him the deck is just perfect to start a dreamed esk8 project. It was originally designed for LDP in mind (that is Long Distance Push, and is clear when you see the narrow side cuts that it provides a comfortable gap for the longboarder’s leg push below the shoulders). This deck is regarded as a thoroughbred in the world of long distance longboarding. A specialized board. Exotic as exotic could be.

The Mauna is made with precise machined wood, Baltic birch stripes side canted, sandwiched and glued together; cut to shaped form, reinforced with 22 layers of carbon fiber and designed with cruciform beams below for added strength. In all, just 1.6 kilograms (mere 3.5 pounds) of feather weight carbon Kahuna super cruiser.

Surprisingly, the Mauna 44" also offers a beneficial side effect… it’s the perfect platform to start your dreamed esk8 project. Comes with wheel cutouts which handles any size wheel and drop through mounting. In fact, the designer (who never in his wildest dreams thought about esk8) conceived the Mauna to carry the largest wheels available today, ABEC 11 107mm Flywheels and Ronin trucks. So if you are considering a longboard for your next project, I think the Mauna comes as a natural choice if you ask me.

This is my dream. Hope you guys enjoy this assembly evolution.

http://alanilani.com/

4 Likes

I’m thinking a 3d print enclosure (which will be segmented in parts off course). As for attaching the enclosure I’ve been thinking either, Velcro or some type of super stick black automotive silicone, no drilling holes for this one.

Hmm, velcro might work if the weight of the battery isnt on the enclousure. Im dealing with a similar situation on my trampa build at the moment. Im using 4 inch wide, double sided velcro straps fastened to the board that then overlap on top of the battery to hold it onto the bottom of the deck, so the enclosure doesnt have to support any of the battery weight. Ill still need at least a few holes in the board to fasten the velcro straps to the board. The 10S5P battery you’re using weighs like 6lbs or so, but industrial velcro is pretty strong. Im interested to see how it holds up for you.

I considered just using velcro between the deck and batteries as well but I dont feel confident it wont work its way free and crack my enclousure over time.

1 Like

Did you get those dimensions yet by chance?

2 Likes

Hey man, no, not yet. Coincidentially, I was today getting the paper to sent you the outline. Been busy beyond believe (like someone I know in the windy city). Just last night assembled the Hawaiian Kahuna…

So its gonna take a little bit, but will send it to you.

3 Likes

Damn that board looks like it rides nice af

2 Likes

Should ride like a flying carpet. It was originally designed for long distance push. As it is now, both trucks and wheels weight more than double as the carbon deck itself. It was also intended for use with the largest wheels on the market: ABEC 107 mm Electric Flywheels - 62 CP. So imagine the possibilities with this platform on the hands of avid e-boarders?

3 Likes

You might be able to use magnets to hold the enclosure on

2 Likes

Hey! good idea! :+1: :punch:

1 Like

This is what I have in mind for the battery installation underneath the deck. This is where my inspiration comes from (combat aircraft stores), the mechanics of the concept I got in my head. (never mind the bombs you see there) just the racks and pilons installation and configuration that matter to me for the task at hand…

…sometng like that :point_up:

3 Likes