Murad I - Vanguard 42" Flex 2 | Caliber II 50 10" | Dual 6355 190KV | Whoosh boards mounts | 10S2P Sanyo 20700b | 2 x FOCBOX | 90mm ABEC 11

Didn’t take as many pictures as I wanted.

• Orbital sander with 80 grit took the spray on grip tape easily. (no picture for this step)

• Drilled some holes for the flat copper cable: imageimage

• Taped flat wires with kapton tape image

• Heat Shrink and bullet connectors to save space image

• Used XT60 on the battery side image

• Motor mounts pre-assembled and flexible cable wrap on motor wires image

• Main electronics box was a tight fit. Added a bit of hot glue on all cables/parts that I didn’t want movement image

• Rubber Gaskets in place image

• Enclosures in image

• Making sure the pulleys and belt are well aligned image

• Simple grip tape design image

• Ended up removing the idlers image

• The Murad I joins the fleet image

13 Likes

Did the maiden voyage yesterday. Everything worked really well as far as I can tell! Max speed is hitting 41km/h which is great since I geared it to hit 42km/h

Here is the ride log: https://metr.at/r/DOZ6l

I set Battery max to 20A for each VESC so it’s drawing 40 amps max and there is some heavy voltage drop in the graphs since I’m using a 2p pack. I know the Sanyo 20700b is tested to do well with 16A continuous discharge without overheating so my question is:

Is my setting of Max 20 Amps for each VESC too aggressive?

Another setting that I’m concerned about are the cutoffs, I think I have soft and hard at 31 and 28V

Sweet lord! Nice build there! I’m completely new to the eSk8-world but whenever there’s a question about batteries I’d run with Mooch’s tests and recommendations. He’s been testing 18650s for the vaping world for ages and there’s a test of the Sanyo 20700b’s up on e-cigarette-forum, too.

In vaping it’s not a big deal to exceed the continuous discharge rating by a good tad cause we’re only pulling those amps for a couple of seconds at a time. For an esk8, though, I’d stick with the given (i.e. Mooch-tested) limit because you’re pulling in a rather continuous manner. Everything above that is quite likely gonna ruin/degrade your batteries much quicker than usual/necessary.

1 Like

Did my first commute to work this morning, lowered the max battery amps to 16A on each VESC: https://metr.at/r/dZQWa

That flat wire is really cool. Where’d you get that? Seems like a very elegant solution

Flat Tinned Copper braid:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003HGHQYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a version that is not Tinned but Tinned is easier.

2 Likes

Very nice build! I like the minimal grip tape design. The whole build reminds me of this one with the ownboard enclosures.

What kind of range are you getting now that it’s done?

Yesterday I rode 22km and still had 33V in the battery. At the end of tge commute there was sag but I was Still Able to go a up a hill at 25km/h. I’m 225lbs. Pretty happy with the range.

I mentioned the skatenetric build in the first post in this thread, however there were many boosted clones built in this forum before that.

That’s awesome range! I might just start building the same thing next summer. Don’t know if I can get used to the belt noise and drag coming from hub motors though…

For this 22km ride I had battery max at 16A on each vesc so the power was just a bit underwhelming. 10s3p would be the sweet spot. it would probably give 30km of range for my weight with higher max batt amps, but then the build would be a bit more complicated.

Currently the battery is the bottleneck on this build, but I was aware of that before building it.

A few other observations. Flex 2 is really stiff compared to Flex 3, even for my weight it feels much different then riding a boosted v2 I didn’t expect it to be that stiff. 42" is also a bit too long for a deck.

1 Like

Congrats on this build!! mine was similar to this except i’m doing a single motor set up and i used the ownboard 10s2p 4.0ah battery. Right now, I am waiting for the flipsky vesc 6 to arrive. Originally i had the torque board vesc 4.12, but it was dead on arrival and they want me to pay to replace it and i am not happy with that. Hopefully everything goes okay with the flipsky fsesc 6. Can’t wait for it to arrive cause all i want to do is ride! i have never ridden an electric skateboard before.

I hear you. The return policy from torqueboards is really bad. I bought 2 of the VESC 4.12, didn’t even remove them from the packaging and they wouldn’t take them back. What does that say about their confidence in the product? Still trying to tell them brand new.

Now that I have about 60km on this board things are really changing… I LOVE IT!

I’m really appreciating the 42" long deck and the flex on it now, the riding dynamics are just great! I find myself preferring to ride this board over the brand new lacroix I just got.

1 Like

Jerry9800, how did your build go? I’m about to start something similar.

I’m 170lbs, and was going to do a setup with the 10s2p 4ah battery from ownboard and 6355 single motor.

if you’re done do you have any range data that you could share?

cheers, dp

The worst and only problem with my build are the motor mounts, had all sorts of problem with them. I’d try the dickyho mounts instead.

I rode about 22km once and still had a bit of juice left. Dual 6354, Focboxes, 16A max battery and 80A max motor current for each Focbox. I’m 225lbs and tall.

Power is good, probably better then a boosted stealth but nothing crazy because of the 16A battery max for each motor. It might be worth going 10s4p 30q or 10s3p Sannyo.

Hi SecrIT,

I finished my build, however, my battery is in for repair. I have only gotten to ride my board twice for a short period of time on my street outside of my house. I am itching to go on longer rides as soon as i get my battery back. Sent it off sept 14 and still waiting for it to be sent back :frowning: . sigh…

i’m 160 pounds and it seemed okay. I was afraid to go top speed on it lol. I felt like it did not accelerate as fast as i like, but speed seemed fine. Make sure you put some loctite on your clamp, cause mine started loosening after a very short ride. i did put loctite on my clamp, but i decided to only to not put loctite on one of the screws and that was the screw that went loose.

i can update you when i get my battery back.

Hey! I know this is an old thread but I didn’t want to make a new one for this… I am working on my first build and using the same Sanyo 20700b 10s2p battery on a one 6374 motor set up. Because it’s one motor, is it safe to put max battery amps at 30a? Thank you!

For the battery it’s safe. Even 32A is ok

Update to the build.

We are going through a harsh winter here in Toronto, Canada, so it’s building time. Finally upgraded my motor mounts from marcmt88’s mounts to Whoosh’s mounts. I haven’t ridden it yet but I’m very happy with the upgrade in terms of quality and design features. A lot of the problems I experienced are addressed with this design mounts.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting your build. Gives me inspiration to start upgrading my Meepo NLS. Pre-ordered a Focbox Unity and going to order a 10s2p Sanyo pack from Meepo as well.

I was really worry about the range on the 10s2p setup once I go for Torqueboard Direct drive or Belt motors once I get bored of the Meepo hub motors but my concerns are lifted due to your experiences. :+1::+1: