Mounting your Enclosure

The washers and inserts from Amazon the screws from local hardware store.

So Im finally at the point of installing my enclosure I was wondering if I should go 4 or 5 screws each side. I’m leaning toward 5 each side since it’s gonna have a pretty heavy battery.

I’m glad the m5 hardware fits perfect on the lip of the enclosure. Edit: I didn’t take Dave’s @psychotiller advise on how to mount as you can see from the pics lol

20180928_170154 20180928_165755

2 Likes

Decided to go with 5. My first time using insurts and it didn’t come out perfect but I like the way it looks.

20180928_182900

9 Likes

I used inserts but they ended up popping out of the wood deck then I drilled through completely and went with T nuts. The T nuts are a bit unsightly. I would like to hear from others on what provided a secure hold and good aesthetics.

Which threaded inserts did you use?

1 Like

Really? Mine are really strong I was gona epoxy it but decided not to. May have to do it anyway in the future. I used M5 hardware though.

uxcell M5x10mm 304 Stainless Steel Self Tapping Slotted Thread Insert 20pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077G5P27P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mJ-SBbZ8DJW8V

I used these.

2 Likes

Some types of inserts are just the press in and they do pop out but you could epoxy the sides of the insert

Enclosure holes tend to be around the circumference of the deck which is not too critical, so @psychotillers figure is entirely derived from edk8 calculus and can be relied upon

Go crazy and see what happens, or 8 bolts a side and a sprinkle in between

1 Like

Do you have a link for the washers? It seems you’re using a rubber gasket as well, if so mind sharing it? Thx

Question for you guys who epoxy threaded inserts into the board:

How do you stop the epoxy for coming back up into the the threaded insert before it dries? Is it an issue I should be concerned about?

Not saying that this has happened to me yet, but I’m worried that it could and I’m careful not to put too much on the outside in case it does.

I don’t put the epoxy in the holes I put it on the outside of the insert so as it is screwing in it is filing that area with epoxy

1 Like

Yup. That’s what I have done so far. I guess while screwing it in the epoxy is unlikely to somehow get into the thread.

Wondering if “Araldite” would be suitable (if that’s in your market - I’m in New Zealand).

1 Like

I still wonder which end you insert first? I always thought the sloted end was to for the screw driver, until a while ago a forum member told me is the other way around, the slot is intruduced first and act as the insert shaving mechanism into the wood hole as you screw.

Then, this week some one posted a video in Instagram in which the guy was introducing the insert the other way, with the flat end first (??) So, which end goes first?

AC_SY400

flat end goes in

1 Like

Are you 100% sure? Because I don’t really know anymore. There are too much contradictory opinion over this that I don’t really know which one should I follow.

So, whats the reason for the sloted end? What’s the purpose of it?

The slot is the ‘self-tapping’ part of the insert. Its not for a flat head screw driver. Use a bolt and nut of the same size, in the insert to mount it.

4 Likes

are you sure? it looks a lot like the ez-loc threaded insert. they sell a tool that utlizes the groove.

2 Likes

6 Likes

install_illustration_thread

1 Like

lol i don’t think any of this is helping answer his question

1 Like