Mounting your Enclosure

Loctite a spare bolt in there and remove once the loctite is set. Hoping you didn’t loctite or epoxy the threaded insert :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Haha, I didnt. Do I need to use red or would blue work?

Can you install those with a hex tool or would you recommend doing the nut and bolt trick?

Red is preferable but blue might get the job done. A dab of epoxy will ruin the bolt/insert but certainly get it out

1 Like

It can be easily fixed and painted that no one can detect that it had gotten messed up. Fix hole with epoxy. Sand paint and top coat.

1 Like

thanks for the reassurance and advice folks. Today felt like some big steps backwards in my build haha

1 Like

Why pull the insert? If the bolt lines up with the enclosure, just epoxy/superglue+baking soda/wood filler, etc with the screw in so it sets straight, and pull the screw when it starts to set. I may be looking at the picture wrong or reading the problem wrong though.

@longhairedboy made it look easy although I think his have a coarser thread.

Yeah it’s gotta be partially my deck. Ugh

If you can get them out and use furniture inserts and perhaps go to m5?

At this point after I get them out and refinish the deck I may come up with a more creative way to mount the enclosure :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Or I’ll practice on some other wood first for sure

2 Likes

Are those ezloc inserts cause I got those and had to go up a bit size and that helped with the bulging

1 Like

They are yes. I tried going up a bit size but hole was too big insert didn’t hold.

You need to go up exactly on bit size of what they recommend not just one bit size of what you have. What size do they suggest on the package. it buldges because they are made more for softwood and have very course threading

Didn’t look at the package but I will. I’ll consider this whole endeavor a learning experience :joy:

Not sure if it’s a typo or not but for clarification’s sake, this is untrue. The finely threaded inserts are for hardwood. Much as steel screws have super fine threads and furniture inserts have loose threads for softer wood.

@ryansinatra I used 4 of these on my top mount and have had no issue. They went in super smoothly and have held my heavy ass battery/esc/electronics on to my deck while riding through the woods.

1 Like

He stated that they are the ez lok threads which are the same that I used and have a very coarse threading. The fine threaded inserts like you said are for hardwood which I totally agree with you. Even though on the website it says for hardwood using them with the drill bit size they recommend cause the bulging of the wood. To fix this I had to redrill the holes with the next size up bit .

Ok I can agree to this :slight_smile:

I would still go more coarse on the threads for you application Ryan

Yeah the ones I have definitely seem to have finer threads.