Mountainboard Build

image cid:D1150618-3703-49B0-87A9-EC5D92CCA9A0@telus the new Turnigy SK8 6374-149KV Sensored Brushless Motor (14P) is awesome . Love it , better torque, more rpm’s and !!! better range .

1 Like

Glad you like em!

Thanks so much for all your commentary. This is definitely helpful. Have not been logging on much. Currently doing a few 3D printer projects as I wait for all the pieces to slowly trickle in lol.

I will certainly be figuring out the best way for me to get the heat out from my FOCBOX. I have a few ideas in mind. Using CPU paste is a great idea!

Unity right? I bought one of these and it’s on the way. Fits the unity very nicely

https://m.banggood.com/22-Tooth-120x69x27mm-Oxide-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-Module-Black-Heat-Radiation-p-1264301.html?rmmds=orderdetail

1 Like

Are you planning on shortening the fins? They seem quite long

1 Like

Definitely depends on space I have haha

1 Like

Would love to see a list aswell!

Aye, the Unity. Can’t wait till it comes :slight_smile: I will certainly look into this heatsink. Looks like it’d bleed a ton of heat!

Its been a while, but the FOCBOX Unity JUST came in the mail! (Literally an hour ago) Initial notes; XT-60 (Not 90) Wires and connectors all seem a bit small. The whole thing is super small actually. Almost concerning so haha. 20190325_165108

Luckily I happened to already have an XT60-XT90 adapter lying around!

I also still had the 5.5mm female bullet connectors that came with the TB Motors/ The FOCBOX came with bullet connectors for whatever size it is (4mm I think? Does not list it on the site) The nice thing was, the solder end of the 4mm slipped right into the solder end of the 5.5mm! I just slipped them together like so

20190325_170303

And soldered them (it could not have been any easier)

Then added some shrink wrap

20190325_173635

All ready!

20190325_173707

So far the build is looking amazing! 20190325_174026 20190325_174039

Re-using the 3S Lipos I had for my first build for a slim 12S 5000MaH pack.

The motor mounts from @Idea are amazing!! Super sturdy, went together very easily. Also shiny aluminum :wink:

However, one thing still remains. The TB motor shaft is too long, and would end up digging into the wheel. So, I need to cut a bit off the end. (You can see that I am unable to push the wheel all the way in to align the pulleys)

20190325_174058

I’ll need to go get an angle grinder :smile:

Getting excited!!

6 Likes

You can use a dremel or like me a cheap copy of it for cutting.

173436h

It is very important that the motor is fully covered because of metal chips.

195843h

Or you take a fine metal saw, hold it on the shaft and give throttle :sunglasses: but it could be more tricky to cover the motor.

5 Likes

Ahahaha, thank you for the suggestions! I stuck a plastic ziplog bag over the motor and very gently cut away the end of the shaft with an angle grinder.

Question for you Unitu FOCBOX users out there. Or generally anyone who knows anything about versions and updating the Unity

2019-03-26_183928

I am unsure if updating the Unity is the same as updating the (Singular? lol) FOCBOX

What the heck do I do lol

Do you have the focbox ui app on an android phone?

1 Like

Ahaha, I forgot to actually send the post a day ago.

Yep Venom, I found The solution. I had the FOCBOX tool, not the FOCBOX UI downloaded. Also I found the ‘update’ button and clicked it, hoping I wouldn’t mess anything up.

It worked though so thats :ok_hand:

Promptly took it out for a spin, and Oh My Lawd is it smooth!

The terrible roading that would usually cause leg-numbing vibrations on my longboard is now smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Its been raining quite a bit lately though, and I still need to design and print enclosures, so for now, that is all I can say.

As it stands now;

20190326_195323

3 Likes

Exactly how a maiden voyage should look! Keep up the good work man, looking good

1 Like

This is ideal for jumping as it is. Can’t get any lighter than that :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you thank you!

I am running the bare minimum to see how it fares in terms of lightness and a small battery profile. They are, however, 20C 5Ah packs, which put out 100Amps max. Great for a single-motor longboard. Not so great for a dual-motor mountainboard. Batteries are expensive though, so I am more then happy to use these for now, despite the fact that they only give little more then half of what the rest of the system can take.

Tiny tiny update.

Organized the wires and focbox a little with some zipties and heatshrink for abrasion protection.

Also added an extension wire between the focbox and the battery so my right foot actually has room, and I dont keep unplugging the battery with my toes.

Designing my focbox box

Contemplating a ‘flexible’ battery housing design that will flex with the board, but still allow the batteries to lay side by side as shown. (Wow that is SUPER slim. I am very happy to not have a GIANT box between my feet) (No offense to those who do have giant boxes. Personal preference)

20190328_125425

20190328_125335

Need to figure out wiring the sensors in. Starting from a stop is near impossible at the moment.

Took it out in the field behind my house. Its really weird transitioning from a longboard to this; I keep bracing for bumps that this board makes negligable. Also the soles of my feet get sore super fast from all that bracing.

Right motor seems to be acting a little funky.:face_with_raised_eyebrow::unamused:

3 Likes

small thing to add

the longer the wires the higher the inductive voltage spikes can be. that shouln´t be a big issue for everything that is around 50-70cm, but non the less, if you run 12s better hold them short and don´t run the wires in circles like you did on the wires from the battery to the esc.

3 Likes

Right! This was simply a short term solution using two 2’ wires I had on hand (Hence the little loop of slack wire). Once I have the battery casing finished I’ll cut the wire down to the exact length needed so as not to waste anything for future projects :ok_hand:

1 Like

I feel you on the sore heels. Especially the back one. Such a different game!

1 Like

Interested in your final mounting solution of the FOCBOX Unity. Mine just arrived today. Our setups are quite similar. Following

1 Like

Hi there… Can you share your measurements to apply on the twistar hubs? Got the same here :frowning: thanks