Motor Detection Mishap - munched finger WARNING NSFW

So I finally got around to plugging in my VESC tonight. The main goal was to update the with the recently released firmware for the Enertion VESC. That all went off with out a hitch.

Next I moved to doing a motor detection of my R Spec+ Everything was prepped and I had the mounted to the truck (without any belt or wheels connected). I held the TRUCK which was attached to the motor with one hand and hit detect. The motor spun up instantly and ran at what seemed to be a much higher than normal detection speed… the truck spun out of my hand and the motor fell onto my thumb when it proceeded to pulverise my thumb… I am in a daily decent amount of discomfort with this one. :sob:

Every video I’ve seen of this process shows a short burst and then a second smaller pulse. This one ran at approximately 2-3 times the rpm! After wrapping myself up and decided to get back on the horse and run it again (since I was more concerned with my bloody thumb the first time) to test and apply the settings. This one went as suspected and did the two small short bursts. After applying the settings i still note that it hasn’t written any settings to the BLDC page. Shouldn’t this occur at this point or am I missing something?

So… I have learnt a painful and dangerous lesson… respect these motors on the bench! Had this been directly on the knuckle it would have been even more serious. Be careful kids!!!

Dude I hope you recuperate soon. Did you get that checked?

This reminds me of an initial observation I had when I started working on my Vesc. In every youtube video I’ve seen about setting up the controller unit on a quadcopter (i.e. Naze 32) the youtuber emphasizes that you should remove the props and keep your fingers away from the motors and excercise extreme caution. Not so much on Vesc videos, even though the motors are massive.

Maybe we esk8ers should start with safety warnings in out videos as well.

1 Like

No, its late night down here in Melbourne and my amateur assessment is that there isn’t much that can be done. Its one of those injuries that will just need to heal I think. I’ll be loosing the nail for sure. I’ll keep it clean and protected in the meantime.

You are right though WARNINGS should be attached to this process. Has anyone else had their motor detection behave differently or similar to this?

ouch… fuck… we have a warranty to cover that… replacement fingers.

5 Likes

Thank god this sucker isn’t nuclear!

Just out of curiosity, what made you want to hold the motor down during detection ? Just curious.

Do we need a saftey thread???

Come on guys

I’ve done something like this before. Bent down to feel how hot my motors were and accidentally tapped the throttle while my thumb was on em. The little air cuts on the outside of the motors ripped my whole nail off and took a sizeable chunch out of my thumb. Grew back though :muscle:

If I didn’t hold the motor up off the ground motor would be running a long bench and causing damage. I think because it’s the larger rspec motor there wouldn’t of been enough clearance to just leave it sitting there.

@Stevemk14ebr impressive I could totally see that happening. It was the air vents that did this to me as well.

That should be another feature of @chaka’s motors. “Won’t mangle thumb if you hold it when you’re not supposed to”

To be clear, wasn’t holding the actual motor! That would’ve been stupid. I was holding the truck that the motor was attached to, but due to the power of the motor detection start up came loose in my hand. I just wasn’t expecting it to spin up as much as it did.

Gotta respect the power of a BLDC motor! By the way, are you done with your build? I’m curious on how it turned out, I’m using the same wheels as you on the Enertion pulley and was wondering what you thought of it.

No still trying to find the time to finish it. Shouldn’t be too much longer I would think I’ll have time to finish it by this weekend.

Ouch! that looks a smidge painful. Gotta respect the power of these motors - safety first!

Why… Do you think this would be over the top?

2 Likes

ouch damn! safety tip: don’t hold the motor when running detection…

2 Likes

Oh god yes please don’t! Again I hope nobody would think they can hold the actual motor!!! I was holding the truck that was attached to the motor and lost control of it.