Morro Bay man finishes cross-country ride (on esk8) — and the Smithsonian gets his skateboard

Woo awesome. You ran a single board the whole way? No braking?

2 Likes

Well-done-GIF

Welcome. Thanks for joining

5 Likes

welcome good sir!

1 Like

Awesome to have you!

Will you do that run again?

Did inboard sponsor those boards? If so, that’s great of them.

1 Like

I think he had three, it’s in the article video.

2 Likes

It was an amazing journey, being 62 and having my wife as my support team made it even better. My favorite thing about the ride was riding the back roads of America, rolling through small towns. One town we went through had a population of 4…and we met two of them!

My favorite section of the ride was the Great Allegheny Passage Rails to Trail bike path, I was on it for about 130 miles. The part I rode only had about 10 miles of paved surface, the rest was crushed limestone. It was packed so tight that I was able to ride the Inboard on it. The path took me through some beautiful forests and over some incredible trestles spanning rivers and highways. Here’s a photo from the first day on the GAP Trail, just south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Great%20Allegheny%20Passage

22 Likes

Thanks for the kind words…I’m a very luck guy to have been able to make this journey!

7 Likes

Hey Mobutusan, I started my ride in August of 2016 in Eugene, Oregon and made it to Mountain Home, Idaho before I stopped…had a couple of close calls. I was riding Evolve boards for that part of the journey. When I decided to finish it up two years later, Inboard came on as the sponsor. Here’s a photo of me on an Evolve in eastern Oregon. Eastern%20Oregon

11 Likes

Wait what? My town

You from here?

7 Likes

I’m from Morro Bay, California. I’ve started all my cross country rides in Oregon.

6 Likes

Well, if your ever back in town let me know.

Its a good place to start. Oregon is beautiful

2 Likes

Hey Jack…congratulations…that showed a lot of ticker mate.

What was your motivation Smithy?

How did you deal with the leg cramps? What was the hardest part?

2 Likes

Congrats @OldSkateGuy! Really awesome story, what was the weirdest part of the country you went through?

1 Like

Oh hey I was there when he arrived at the smithonian!

10 Likes

SF, and Inboard owner here! How did you like the board? How did you handle the vibration on backroads? Will inboard hear suggestions from you for their next version?

1 Like

DAddye…I was very impressed with the Inboard M1, the only issue I had was receiving an overheating warning on the remote, and that came while I was climbing a 7,000’ pass in Wyoming. It was a 7-10% grade I had been climbing for about three miles, into a headwind on a 90 degree day. I picked up the board, walked for a quarter of a mile and then started riding again.

The biggest issue was my lower legs going numb especially on rough roads. To help alleviate this I installed Loaded’s Pushin’ Cushion under the griptape on two of the [Inboard Technology M1s. Orangatang provided me with a couple of sets of sleeves (softer duro) for the hub motors, I also ran Orangatang Caguama 85mm 77a wheels on the front of two of the boards. One board remained completely stock.

I wore Kybun walking shoes with thick soles most of the ride, when the roads or bike paths were smooth I would wear Vans.

When I felt my lower legs getting numb I would stop and walk around a bit to get the blood flowing again. This could be anywhere from 3 to 10 miles depending on the road’s surface.

I was very careful, and didn’t experience a single fall during the ride. I haven’t noticed any health issues since returning from the ride. I usually push my traditional longboard three miles every morning and try to get an eboard ride every afternoon.

Inboard has been very receptive to my suggestions.

Here are a couple of photos of the three boards I used. M1%20bottom

9 Likes

RunningOnEmpty…had to answer your question, the Jackson Browne album “Running on Empty” is one of my all time favorites. Here’s a photo my wife took in western Wyoming, if this wasn’t the middle of nowhere, you could definitely see it from there. It may not have been the weirdest part, but it was definitely lonely. We hadn’t seen another car in about an hour when this photo was taken. Thanks for asking! Long%20Climb%20in%20Wyoming

7 Likes

What are you doing in june? Lol Big 5 day esk8 event in Colorado. Would be really cool if you made it.

4 Likes

Hey Mars, I had a couple of motivations. The first being that ever since my first relay push across America in 1976 I have always wanted to do a solo ride. The second being, that I like to finish things I started…i first attempted the eboard ride across America in 2016, but stopped after about 450 miles, to be blunt I got scared. I had a couple of close calls with vehicles.

If you scroll up a bit you can find the answer to your leg cramps question in my reply to DAddye.

The hardest part was the chip sealed roads in Idaho, lots of vibration which caused my feet and legs to go numb, Here’s a photo. Chip%20Seal

6 Likes

@OldSkateGuy Nice to you here Jack, I’ve followed your journey from the start, hope to do something similar around here some day

What you can say about cops? I’m not from USA, but eboard being a grey area in most states and ridding on highways should have caused some problems? I remeber you telling about a highway officer suggesting a better route somewhere

2 Likes