Metasurf Direct Drive ?!

I can confirm that the torque was definitely there. The brakes were a bit lacking at low speeds but @Aeroquiv said that high speed brakes were fine. I imagine that at 13s the torque will be even better, and the speed will actually be fun.

2 Likes

Yeah these are def meant for 12-13s… Any less and it’s boring

1 Like

I hope that drive didn’t catch on fire after we Parted ways today lol

2 Likes

Lol​:weary::weary::weary::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Don’t think those motor are going to last 100 miles :-1:t3::-1:t3:

1 Like

At least they have nice trucks and wheels …

@sofu, so cast aluminum and steel axle, right? (guess the axle runs thru the front wide truck all the way) Very interesting for a DIY build .

Forged and steel I think they said. Axle is one piece.

1 Like

Yeah, axle one piece is good.

1 Like

Ok as promised, here’s the Metr data @Aeroquiv collected today. It is quite powerful seemingly without using much current. Probably because of low kv…

As mentioned above, braking at low speeds sucks. Braking at high speeds seems to be OK. Not sure why that is either. Torque starting from low speeds was also not great going up a hill. Not super sure why yet, we’ll do more testing.

The right side motor on my setup ran very hot today, to the point of burning. The left side motor is fine. You can definitely feel a ton of resistance when you spin the right side compared to the left side. We think it might be a seized bearing because of the issue with the spacer before. Metasurf is sending me a new one right away.

One thing is the trucks start out very slightly canted, making a sort of “v” shape. Metasurf tells me when you get on it, it should flex. If it was brittle, it would break. You can see a video of that here:

It’s apparently normal but we’ll see if it works out.

There were otherwise no problems today on 20+ miles of rough SF roads and a 180lb rider. Everything held up fine except for the right motor which already had a problem. We need more time to see if it breaks though

1 Like

u mean it’s a problem with sensorless motors? because i can’t confirm your statement

it’s forged from damascus steel…

2 Likes

That is some crazy flex there. Very worrying. One motor is tight yeah?

They probably suffer from this

1 Like

We think the bearing in one of the motors is seized. The right one looking at the back of the board to be specific.

1 Like

and what does that mean exactly? because i get no conclusion from reading that.

I really hope this is an anomaly. It does look though watching that video that those motors are flexing with the axles. This will destroy delicate motor bearings very quickly. I really hope with all the effort you have personally put into promoting these drives, that again, this is an anomaly.

That with DD or Hub motors there is a limit in braking torque the motor can generate. Small motors (which these are) only can do so much. It’s the reason why I replaced the Lou Hub motor with a belt drive.

1 Like

i knew that already big motor > small motor

1 Like

It has nothing to do with sensors though.

1 Like