MBS MATRIX II truck failure

Sweet! Can’t wait to see it when your finished.

1 Like

Not as critical as David, I don’t really know when the fracture appeared and I didn’t notice a thing until a random inspection. And I was able to ride until the replacement part arrived, still I’ll be happy if an alternative comes out :wink:

2 Likes

Buy the metall version from trampa, you could 3dprint a new mount. This mount is open sourced btw

Maybe that part of truck section could use a hugging metal band/shroud this i guess would have to bolt on through the deck next to them back nuts on the top truck, it would make it safer in case of a fail, though not sure what metal would be best as its quite a tricky bell shape to fabricate.

Quick snipping piccy… of what im trying to convey. truckfix

2 Likes

Hi @DavidC and all…

I’m a little late to this conversation (and this forum in general), so please excuse the delayed response. I hope to make up for it in the form of knowledge I can share moving forward.

Really sorry to hear about your Matrix II top truck (baseplate) breaking. The bubble makes it 100% clear that this is due a manufacturing defect and thus covered by warranty. Hopefully you’ve already received your replacements. If not let me know.

I know the real issue isn’t whether or not something is covered by warranty. It’s about confidence.

The story of our nylon composite top trucks (and all our nylon parts) is a long one… In short, early production runs of our original Matrix top truck and first generation RockStar hubs (early 2000’s) had numerous problems (as mentioned above) and really gave nylon parts a bad name, deservedly. We were learning about manufacturing in Asia at that time fell victim to untrustworthy suppliers changing materials on us, something that has been a struggle for many years, but that we now have control of 100%.

In addition to controlling our material and process, over the years we’ve refined our formula and process to the point where I’m really happy with our nylon parts. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a RockStar II hub break (same nylon formula material as Matrix II), and the warranty rate on the Matrix IIs is actually incredibly low. BUT, unfortunately it’s still possible for things to go wrong in the mfg process as evidenced by the bubble seen in your truck.

When nylon is at its best I truly believe it’s the best material choice for a top truck. The strength to weight ratio or our nylon formula is amazing and nylon’s ability to absorb shock prevents a lot of bent trucks (top and bottom). It’s the risk of it NOT being at its best that complicates things, and thanks to the encouragement from all you in the electric community has ultimately convinced me to offer an alternative version of the Matrix II with an aluminum top truck (baseplate). Ultimately it should be about choices.

I hate riding heavy boards so for more than twenty years I’ve always pushed to make boards lighter. But for your community it’s clear that durability trumps weight, so we’ll just give you what you want!

I’ll save the details of what and when for our official release. I just thought you guys deserved to know first given your interest in and support of our products.

By the way, thank you esk8 community! I’m so excited about what you’ve been doing with our products. The quality and spirit of your builds is amazing. I haven’t been engaging online but I’ve definitely been watching and appreciating. Now that I’ve finally taken the plunge I’m looking forward to interacting with you all - learning for sure, and hopefully sharing some knowledge as well. Just not next week because we’ll be backpacking. I love my job but everyone loves a break - yew!

Joel

36 Likes

Hi Joel,

Thanks for joining up our forum, and explaining situation with parts and nylon.

I and @3DServisas would be interested in your new products as we already developing compatible gear drives for your products :slight_smile:

Aurimas

4 Likes

I think I speak for the most guys here, that we very appriciate your interaction with us here. Allways good to have a close communication portal besides service hotlines or single mails…

4 Likes

Hi Aurimas,

Very happy to hear that. I’ll be posting more info on the new stuff when it’s available. Until then let me know if you ever need any help from me with respect to compatibility.

Joel

4 Likes

@MBS

Welcome to the party Joel :beers:

4 Likes

JOEL!! Wassup! Great to have you here and to see how supportive you are of or esk8 community. And especially how transparent you are about your products. I figured MBS was on board with Esk8 in general after the LaCroix release, but hadn’t seen any official MBS representation in the forums, so welcome! I love my Matrix 2 trucks and Comp 95 board as well as my Core 95 with the old Vector trucks (although it’s in pieces for a build right now, hehe). Can’t wait to see what insight and innovations you bring to the Esk8 scene. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for your good word Joel & welcome here !

As we’re already working on it, maybe you could save us some time here ^^

Big Up to the MBS Team by the way and we’re all waiting for the new parts.

8 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome!

4 Likes

Nice skills @Riako. What a great time to be alive.

3 Likes

Love you, MBS!! I’m building a MTB on MBS deck and your move to work with Eboarding is awesome!

1 Like

@MBS

Hey Joel, wanna say hello from E-Toxx. Nice to see you here on Esk8B as active member.

We have build some Drivetrains for the Matrix2 Truck, Chaindrive and Beltdrive and Gearbox. Latest product was a helical geared Mini Gearbox with integrated Encoder mounting solution.

K800_P1040172

K800_P1040230

K800_P1040247

K800_P1040287

Cheers from Germany Jens

20 Likes

well exactly this occurs in the mould when injection molded. seems that Matrix factory doesnt use a degassing outlet. mostly happens when two flowing fronts of molten polymer hit together like around this hole for the truck. everyone who uses Matrix trucks should be aware that the maybe all of their baseplates have those bubbles in them at exact this position.

EDIT: Added @MBS for posssible mould optimization.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say that you got another follower for a cnc’d top! The bolt hole snapped on mine as well, just after the third ride…

2 Likes

Wow! Looks like a LaCroix board…what happened?

1 Like

Yeah it is! Not sure, the only thing i can think of is a few railroad crossings and a little piece of construction i went through. Starting to think that i may have overtightened it tho. Thats the only thing i can think of since not many have had this problem

Yeah i probably overtightened the bolt… ill take it you never touch that bolt then and keep it loose?