Maytech vesc help Please

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Big shoutout to @Jinra for helping me out with the VESC and BLDC tool setting up the remote control.

1 Like

Is this VESC any good? Thinking about getting it myself, Thanks

Yes, it works as good as any other vesc. The only difference is they put the maytech name brand on it. My other board has a non maytech brand vesc, they both work fine. Check out @psychotiller, psycotiller.com, thats where I bought my maytech.

Not true - don’t say that. Maytech VESCs come without a bootloader which is a significant difference!

they also work only with the original BOM, not the upgraded one

I’ve been using a Maytech VESC on a single drive for 100 km without any issues. So far so good.

Is it not possible to flash a bootloader, if needed?

They often work fine, but you should know, there are better Vescs available. It´s like you get what you pay for. Without a bootloader, you have to get a St-Link V2 and upload the bootloader and after that the firmware yourself.

sure but going online and buying an ST-Link, reading up on how the upload works plus performing the upload just to save like 10 bucks? Plus the chances of inferior quality?

@TarzanHBK Ah I had no idea extra HW was needed. I often follow the approach “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” so can’t imagine needing to upgrade the firmware. BLDC mode is working well at the moment.

@Maxid On the quality front, Maytech have years of experience manufacturing ESCs for the RC hobby market. So if anything, I would expect their quality to be higher than the small “VESC-only” suppliers. This is pure speculation though.

Experience on this forum has shown that these chinese VESCs are inferior to the “established” manufacturers. Also just because you have the experience to make a good product does not mean you actually do when you use cheap parts of lesser quality to put it together.

I don’t want to argue but the heart of your vehicle is in my eyes not the place to cheap out on. Get worse wheels that don’t cushion vibrations as good or worse trucks that might make handling a little harder - but the VESC controls the entire thing!

Maytech is fine as long as you don’t want to use the latest firmware and cutting edge features like FOC

Can somebody breifly explain the bootloader thing about the maytech Vesc? I got one cant i run inte without doing a bootloader?

bootloader is necessary if ou want to update your firmware with for example @Ackmaniac’s version. If you are fine with the version it came with there is no need for you to update.

1 Like

Some infos on how to handle that:

I plug mine straight into my computer with no stlink and. It works fine with no firmware update.

1 Like

If you think you always need to do firmware updates fine. Get a boot loader. But give people all the info as to why you think you need it and stop just saying they don’t work without it, because it just isn’t true.

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, but there are patches of maytech vesc here on the forum without any bootloader and firmware.

oh ok thanks, i got may tech vesc from e-green and people has been saying they come without bootloader that is why i was worried

I got mine from @psychotiller and its working great, i just did a few tweaks, thanks to @Jinra, i’m still new learning the VESC, alot of learning still to come but also, i’ve built 2 eboards in 5 months and so far so good thanks to this forum, i’m learning something new everyday.