Master Evo | Landyachtz | ABEC 107| 13S5P | FocBox | 6374 190kV | metr

@lrdesigns What motor is that?

2 Likes

Its a taobao special, I can not vouch for its quality as I didn’t buy one but looks as decent as any other motor. 10mm shaft is a bit annoying. They even have one size larger than this.

I have it book market to maybe buy in the future.

3 Likes

…thoughts? Feelings? Emotions? Very impressive assembly write up on the installation too.

1 Like
  • upside down sounds like a box of rocks
  • riding with load is basically the same noise as cruising on belts
  • heavy acceleration and braking sound louder. But the torqueblows away 20mm belts. And I thought 20mm belts were top shit coming from 12 & 15mm
  • it free rolls alot easier. Which is surprising because again I thought loose 20mm belts were coasty.
  • mother f***** install dear god. Y’all have no ideas how many times I took it apart and back together over the past 3 days for alignments, tweaking. Understanding the right way to Seattle vring. You name it. It was not an quick task…it was monotonous “f*** I gotta take it apart again”

Now that it’s on there. 1/4 mile ride on it. Brought it back,took it apart again and fixed the backlash on one side. Rode it for a mile after that. Can’t complain other then the install and being close to having a paperweight. We’ll see how maintenance is as I start putting miles on it… :slight_smile:

Tl:dr holy fuckin torque man.

13 Likes

I was biting my nails hoping you’d get it working :joy: F*cking CONGRATS decky!! About the torque, for you this is a move from a 2.25:1 (107s at 16/36) to a 2.4:1, no?

2 Likes

No @PatRocks . 2.4:1 (15T/36T metroboard) to 2.4:1(15T/36T spur) Identical reduction.

Torque is instantaneous. Where with belts is got a slight “delay” as the belt tightens on different sides when your braking vs accelerating. Not sure how to explain it

3 Likes

Ahh, I thought i read 16t. Actually, you nailed the description, that’s a perfect explanation.

2 Likes

If you’re curious

17 Likes

I blew my own thread up today. But man…

The free wheel coast is amazing lol. Like no resistance, I keep getting confused going down hills and thinking I’m on an analog, it just rolls forever.

Sorry for my post bombs. Lol

15 Likes

Nice to hear you got it working

About the torque, do you think it’s just eliminating the losses of the belts? Because other than that, if your belts wasn’t skipping teeth it makes no sense to have more torque

Or is just the feel of the system that is more responsive?

2 Likes

Morning, my inbox blew up after @Deckoz posted stuff :smiley: I always tell people be aware of torque when starting and when braking. Everyone told me same thing as @deckoz instant torque transfer. Like electric motors themselves you push throttle and you feel power instantly coming to the wheels. With belts I think there are a lot of variables which affects delay of power transfer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The sound is more like a Tie-fighter rather than Jenso’s x-wing delicious irony master

Let the awesome continue!

4 Likes

@banjaxxed So more darkside? Or less darkside. Lol

I will say Jen’s helical setup(I still haven’t posted a video but I’ve run the drive) is quite a bit more tame, mostly with the backlash chatter, which aids in it’s silence.

1 Like

Try and stay in the light :rofl: I’m saying in comparisson to non-helical Jenso drives.

2 Likes

Want a comparisson?

1 Like

Hahahaha it totally sounds like a tie fighter under heavy acceleration lol

1 Like

No extra charge AFAIK. This must be why you got black superflys even if you didn’t realise at the time

1 Like

So I’ve taken it over some of the bigger transition bridges close to my house with absolutely no issues.

The Lowest point of the drive box before the wheel is 38mm. 2mm less then how my belts were setup. So no real loss there.

Something interesting I have noticed between different builds is the closer to the kingpin your mounts are the more likely they are to get hit. At least from what I’ve seen. Where wheel pulleys are less likely to get hit because they’re tucked up by the wheel. Idk I could be wrong. The point I was getting to is. The drive system basically resides where my pulleys we’re, so I think the chances of striking are actually pretty low…

Here it is clearing my big ass garage hump.

11 Likes

So even 25mm belts have no chance regarding power transfer?

@LukePL As far is instantaneous torque. Nope. There’s always gonna be the delay from the belt tensioning when going from coasting to under acceleration or braking, as the side of tension depends on the action performed.

The backlash on these gears so small(less than .15mm or 0.075mm per side of tooth) and gears do not shift the side of tension, just the side of tooth.

To give an example of this. Roll your board backwards so the road side of the belt is tight. Put a mark on the ground where the center of the axle is. Slowly roll your board forward until the sky side of belt is tight. On my belt drive system this is about 9-10cm of roll distance. On the gear drive to move from one side of tooth engagement to the other is less then 0.5cm of roll.

So while technically the torque “should” be the same end result in ftlbs. It’s more so about the delay of transfer.

Riding for me isn’t constant, I’m always on and off the throttle. I guess the only way to explain it, sometimes when im riding and I start braking I pull back super slow at first, because if you switch the side of tension to fast with a belt, it almost has the tendency of “bucking” or bouncing. So you brake wait for delay, feel engagement then pull back strong.

With gears there’s no delay or bounce/belt bucking.

8 Likes