Mark 48 | Landyachtz Evo 39" 2018 | FatBoy TB218 Drivetrain | Fatboy SolidCore WheelHubs | 6.5" Trampa | APS 8072S165kv 6kW | FatBoy HV ESC | 18S10P Panasonic PF

Since you have been so good at spending my cash, allow me to help you with that

:money_mouth_face: Now it’s needed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hehe, you talking about carbon fiber? I already figured out a way, but at the moment London Hackerspace is closed and moving so don’t know when I am going to do something…

London hackerspace?! I need a UK weekend asap.

Red hued carbon fibre made by the master of esk8 enclosures, that was an ironman tribute on a flexible deck but I’m sure something for the evo could be done with a lot more cell space.

Makerspace? You’re not thinking of a massive 3D print? Laying fibre/vacuuming is an art

Yep, I will need to make a shape of enclosure using foam then make out of it two part plug and then lay CF/Fiberglass :slight_smile: I will make a inside thick lip where I will drill and use rivet threaded inserts to bolt down through deck :slight_smile:

I am searching for this style of fibers for outside layer… Looks super dope sick

(I know its painted but still)

The closes I found was this style:

Regarding Hackerspace I need to make a form out of foam, which will involve a lot of sanding so I don’t want to do it or any epoxy at home :smiley:

2 Likes

https://compositeenvisions.com/carbon-fiber-red-kevlar-fabric-2x2-twill-50-3k-5-5oz-with-web-lock-stabilization-1959.html?zenid=75ce64d688c0becb5ec6ae0317ca32c3

The web-lock fabrics are super easy to work with. You can pull and twist it and it stays perfect

Sanding epoxy at home works nice when you do it with wet sandpaper under water.

Yeah, or having good vacuum cleaner, but I am more concerned of epoxy smell and etc…

put it in a vacuum bag for clothes. This way you have no smell when it hardens. And when you sand it under water it doesn’t smell.

My last experience with (cheapest epoxy was me passing out in backyard then I was 14) :smiley: So that’s why I am bit careful on this topic

Found a cloth for outside layer :slight_smile:

The enclosure I will be making based on this guide using 2 part plug

2 Likes

You could use this for the enclosure or something.

https://compositeenvisions.com/bmz_cache/b/b46dd73ade146e7d769657311eba75a5.image.400x300.jpg

I dont really want much black in the build, as main colors are red & gold

Easy composites and a silicone mold may be of use

Done some work on picking up parts for electronics, will be using of the shelf DC/DC converters as they have >90% efficiency and calibrated and etc, which I wouldn’t be able to reach without decent tools and etc (Trying to not waste energy on heat and etc)

I created a heatsink plate for 3.3V/5V/12V DC/DC converters and also Charge/Discharge/PreCharge mosfets (Same as in FatBoy Sparky AS Switch)

Those 3 modules can deliver total 1.5kW of power I amazed how efficient and small they are

Next hardware work:

• A bit over complicated USB hub with each port 3.3V/5V power switching so I could disable OLED/RGB strips/GPS and other devices from consuming power in sleep mode in which only main board + modem will run.

• Speed control module which will take in PPM / nRF24 / BLE and will control ESC with protections if something happens like lost signal or etc it will slow down this will mission critical so not many other peripherals will be running inside it. I also think they will be independent

• Programmable USB RGBW strip controller / Light Controller

• USB to OLED screen module

• Main BMS controller with MOSFET switching logic, I2C (to connect balance boards), USB to connect

Software Side:

Will be running something like ElasticSearch/MySQL/InfluxDB combo for storing data.

Each ride will be automatically logged every parameter, GPS, Battery, ESC’s, 10-DOF.

BMS will store each 12S1P packs voltages, current consumptions, temperatures and etc, then 1 current sensor for peripherals, 1 for ESC’s, 1 for charging.

My modular balancing will provide insight into each battery pack modules voltages and current equalization and also let me calculate battery current capacity based on coulomb instead of voltage. Also tracking each cell health and they behavior while charging.

All these variables will be visible in web dashboard with graphs and etc.

Here are some examples of what I imagine to be able to visualize based on all these parameters:

As my ESC projects are still undergoing and at first I will be using FocBoxes I decided start working on HTML5 based VESC-Tool which communicates to VESC via WebSockets in my case each VESC will be connected to USB to the main computer and will have its data stream available via WebSocket for web tool to let me configure each VESC and etc. (Will be working on Mobile phones too) For this stuff I am also working on ESP32 based BLE/WiFi module. (Maybe one module for two VESC)

This is just dev board end result will be similar to existing HM-10 board :wink:

Also thanks to @b264 for real nickel strip rolls for my battery pack :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

So a small update with big changes in the spec of the build. As I am finishing work with my High Voltage ESC I figured out that I would like to use it on this project so to show off/test out high voltage capabilities I am switching to 18S10P configuration so I needed to redesign the PCB for 18S1P group balancing with extra sensors and etc.

The board is based on new 4th generation LTC6813 chip (Multicell Battery Monitor Ic), onboard there will be 6 NTC based temperature sensors, bi-directional current sensor, eeprom. The boards will interconnect via I2C to main BMS board. I will need 10 of these boards that’s why I choose I2C to be easily able connect all of them in chain.

Also as I am going to 18S I guess I will use APS 8072S 165kv motors with new 1:3(4/5) all aluminium gear drive anodized in red…

12 Likes

Amazing! That VESC I posted a few months back which was like a high voltage VESC 6, could also do 18s. Does yours max out at 18s or is it capable of more? Any plans of selling these on your site?

Yes, 18S is maximum described voltage but if you crazy and don’t care about the parts you could do maybe 19S but some IC will be next to their limits. Yes, they will be available to buy but first I will try them on my board and with few people if everything is alright then it will be available to buy, but I will need to finish my firmware which is at the moment pretty scarce on features…

Higher than 18S is hard to make as for e.g. Bidrectional current sense IC max common voltage is like 80V I could make bidirection from two unidirection IC which can go even higher but then I will need to double everything and space/cost not efficient. Plus who the hell needs more than 18S on longboard :smiley:

This is already crazy stuff…

2 Likes

Who the hell need more than 12s really? :joy:

1 Like

This project is in all aspects first I guess :smiley: Like who has server running in their longboard :smiley:

1 Like

Have you considered what kv you should use? I was just looking at this link the other day and figuring it out for up to 18s.

So using his formula:

8570RPM / 75.6v = 113kv - 18s

Since APS does custom kv, you could request a kv as close to this as possible.

Using those formulas @chaka came up with is how we determine that 170kv is the ideal for 12s, 200kv for 10s, etc…

One thing I am curious about is whether you’re supposed to calculate this figuring your battery fully charged or discharged (Li-on 4.2 fully charged and 3.6 discharged). If you figure these using the discharged amount, 12s would be 198kv, which incidentally enough, is the highest kv you can run 12s before its erpm goes above 60,000 erpm…

Also, with 18s and 165kv your erpm would be 87,318. Obviously the VESC 4.12 Couldn’t go over 60k, and I heard the VESC 6 could go up to 100k, just curious if that worries you at all or have you got it all figured out??

Very excited to see this ESC come along! I’ve really been looking a lot into electric powered surf boards and similar things like that and I think those are the perfect application for an ESC that can run such high voltage since you have to run a decent sized prop very fast with a ton of resistance, so I think in that application, an ESC like this is a great idea!