Making your own Vacuum Forming set up CHEAP

Not sure what you mean by Armadillo design. My oven is 21" wide and 24" tall inside.

The overlap of the different enclosure pieces is like the armour of an armadillo!! I dunno what the technical term is but I was picturing the two pieces overlapping in a similar fashion :wink:

Ok that’s a lot bigger than the portable ovens they sell here… thanks!

Gotcha! I just call the split enclosures “Tongue and Groove” Armadillo works though!

Will definitely want to do this.

guys, here are the links I found, hope they help someone :wink:

http://volpinprops.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/budget-build-mini-vacuum-former.html <-- WOW! http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/HintsTips/Articles/VacForm/VacuumForming.htm

1 Like

My former is a bit overkill… 2x smoker heating elements and about 1m x 1m vacuum box, with 1 vacuum for now but I don’t think it will be enough, so I might get another. Anyone know where to get ABS in China/Australia?

This things in the scrap heap now. Best idea that never worked.

1 Like

Nice work l have bern looking st this on YouTube Have you tried acyrilic?

Acrylic isn’t as durable as ABS , harder to form without bubbles. I’ve tried a couple of times.

1 Like

Has anyone used hdpe. Like the same plastic on motocross fenders. I like the way it bends and it’s really slick. It also comes in many colors; not just black, grey ,or white.

That’s one that I’ve never tried. I agree though. It would be durable. I have to go to the plastic shop today. I’ll pick up a sheet and report back.

1 Like

anyone tried polycarbonate? strongest stuff and comes in translucent. There’s also some other plastics that are translucent. There’s a million different plastics. Im making one of these formers this weekend.

also anyone tried making a tab and slot to attach the plastic, or you could call it different names, but with a tab on the plastic that inserts horizontally into a hole in the deck? I’ve got these decks with holes cut in them like 15mm deep for the electronics, and I’d like to put (3) thin slits into the 2 sides of the deck and cut the plastic so it has 6 tabs that fit in those slits and snap it in. so no screws. not waterproof but i dont ride in the water.

I have a square of this on my bench at work, its great for cutting and assembling on because of its density. Unfortunately its also much heavier than ABS.

I’m sure it would be tough as nails, but if you want an extremely durable enclosure (more durable than ABS, why would that even be necessary?) I think fiberglass would be a better alternative as its just as strong and much lighter.

1 Like

HDPE has a melting point around 280° but the info I found suggested a 330° working temp. Also to heat it until it sags 2" before forming. Hdpe can also be done inside the house as there are no harmful fumes produced. I’m still working on a way to tilt my oven 45° so I can fit a 24" frame in flat horizontal. Otherwise I’m stuck with this 20" crap.

1 Like

Lexan is frickin indestrucstable its not easy to work with it, I had a pretty fun time while making a dash for my boat with it

1 Like

no one’s done polycarbonate? that’s all my plastic shop has on hand and giving my first go at the former tomorrow with it I guess

I’ve found that polycarbonate is pretty brittle when cutting it. I score the rough shape, then snap pieces off. The I sand for the overall finished shape. Then progressively drill bigger and bigger holes for the rough slots and then use a file to make the final slot shape.

2 Likes

How thick were u doing Mike? I was going to do something thin. Forget exactly how thin they have for sale. What u cut it with ? A dremel good enough for an outline cut?

In usually use 8-15mm stock. Get you a big fat flat edge and a scoring knife to make the rough shape. I use a bench sander to get my outside edges, a Dremel and file to get my insides. Just be careful how much pressure you put on it. When drilling the bit will try to grab and pull through, don’t let it. Back off and keep the nit just barely cutting until your through.

1 Like

Make sure you dry it first in an oven to get all the moisture out, it can cause bubbling otherwise