Making your own Vacuum Forming set up CHEAP

ok thankyou

building one very soon. anything to note before doing so?

I build a flange around my molds.

1 Like

i can’t wait to get mine working.

1 Like

You can use a wooden box with a propane fueled space heater as a make shift oven aswell. I use this and can heat my abs to about 350 in a few minutes

Does it bubble up? That seems hot.

1 Like

I heat the abs to about 320 on the oven and then i put a blow torch to the top right before i form to get it to 350ish. If im not careful it will bubble but so far it has worked great!

Ill post some pics of my whole setup tomorrow

P.S how do i make a new topic on this forum i just joined and cant find the plus button the wiki shows

3 Likes

Nice. I’ve noticed temp is an issue more when trying to utilize the smooth side of the abs.

I’ve made a box with a hole that fits my heat gun and was able to get up over 300° but not the 400° I need for kydex but I think a second heat gun would do it, but for ABS should work.

Yeah kydex needs higher temps than ABS.

Here’s to new beginnings!!

16 Likes

All the best in your new home!!

1 Like

That’s one nice looking shop!

1 Like

Nothing else matters. Beer and vacuum forming is all you need.

1 Like

Not mine anymore

Hope your new space is even better!

I just need to make an enclosure once in while, so I think it is a bit overkill to build a Vacuum Former… Can I get away with using a heat gun on some ABS and then (when it gets hot) just press it down on a form with a spoon or something?

Not really. You have to uniformly heat it, at the least you’ll need to heat it in an oven.

1 Like

If you don’t mind it looking like crap and not really protecting anything then it will work fine.

Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile: i think fiberglass is easier then :+1:t2: