Making your own Vacuum Forming set up CHEAP

yeah i kind of can’t wait. Its basically the only thing holding me back now. I just couldn’t justify getting a junker from craigslist to mess with when i knew one that will work would become available soon, just didn’t know when. Our current oven has a bad element on the range and the element is worth more than the whole thing, and its old, and the drawer underneath is total bullshit, bugs in the LCD display, the whole thing is awful and ready for the garage. so it was an easy sell. We’re waiting for the memorial day sales coming up in a month or so and its on.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor. Buy a $30 110v smoker element. It’ll come with a cord/maybe even a temp gauge. You just pop the bottom element out of your oven, then run the cord of new one out and through the back of your oven. The smoker element gets to the perfect temp and won’t require 220 hook up.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-SMOKER-BBQ-GRILL-HEATING-ELEMENT-ADJUSTABLE-THERMOSTAT-CORD-CONTROLLER-/272212034921?nav=SEARCH

1 Like

I’m pretty sure our current oven is 110 just on its own breaker, so all i have to do is move it to its new spot in the garage and run another line for it. But if this smoker element works better than a regular one, i’ll definitely try it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure all ovens are 220v. Could be wrong, but on the west coast you have to have 220 hookups done for all ovens and dryers.

1 Like

yep same here in canada

I’ll have to double check then, but it looked like the plug they used was 110 and not 220 when i was cleaning behind it the last time, but maybe i’m mistaken. I’m pretty sure the 220 rail is in the same breaker box though (we have more than one) so either way it shouldn’t be a problem. If i end up having to replace my spot welder i’m going to replace it with a 220v version, so i may need to go ahead and put a 220v circuit in the garage anyway.

Now i’m not going to rest until i pull the oven out and check the plug. lol

You got a real pretty box right there

How does cheap pine hold up to the temps involved? I’ve got aluminum flashing I might use as a shield if needed.

1 Like

I realize there was already another post detailing how to make one of these, but I figured this would be nice for those of us who learn better by watching a video :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Also another video on a cool way to heat up the plastic. You can probably do some pretty big plastic sheets with this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maH5Ech0wK8

2 Likes

Ahh, I always like different approaches!

2 Likes

I just bought white if anyone’s interested in a white enclosure.

4 Likes

That is beautiful !:heart_eyes:

New version of the 21" split low pro comes concave!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Looks fantastic! Do you mind sharing how you did the concave?

I sanded the flange around the outside of my mold until it had a nice shape.

Nice Have a pic by any chance?