Making a DIY enclosure!

Your going to need atleast 2 layers but I would shoot for 3. Also remember that pan has to have some way to bolt onto the deck so you might want to put some resin on the bottom edge to give it a lip.

1 Like

Is there a secret to getting the cloth to stay in the tight areas and not bunch on the corners?

vacuum bag

Just wet down the first layer, apply the cloth, and vacuum bag it?

Come on man! I’ve sended you all info just few posts back:angry:

1 Like

First layer is dry and hard but it really didn’t form as tightly as I hoped.

1 Like

I’ve also used really soft high compression foam (like memory foam) and weights… works surprisingly well and kept the corners “pretty tight”…

Or you can ghetto bag it like @ninja has mentioned a few times…

or you can bondo/sand/paint!

1 Like

I’m certainly going to end up painting the enclosure so I’m sure I’ll fix the blemishes with bondo.

Be very careful with that, bondo when layed to thick will just crack off. The only bondo that should ever be used for anything structural is fiberglass reinforced bondo also known as bondo glass or kitty hair filler. There is short strand or long strand even then its smart to keep it as thin as possible. Make sure to sand down the fiberglass before you try and add filler. Bondo brand fiberglass resin in particular develops a waxy surface once cured and if you don’t sand through it not only will the paint adhere poorly but that bondo will flake off in a heartbeat. Make sure to prep in between steps. Sand it down while cleaning it off periodically with alcohol or a small amount of acetone. Then clean it once more before you apply any filler or paint. For paint you can get a tough surface out of something like rustoleum textured paint and an outdoor rated primer color combo. A one stage paint is a solid option in this case since you’ll be touching it up every now and then. Its going to see a lot of rock chips and scuffs lol.

1 Like

After three coats of cloth and resin my enclosure is finally made. Now to clean up the high spots and prep for paint.

Ideas for paint that will hide flaws? Plastidip?

I know this is going to sound crazy but…

It builds up fast and if you can heat it, it will dry like a rock.

Black spray paint if u used mat it looks nice if you used fibers ull need something else

I had a can of plastidip so I used it. I would like a little thicker coat for rock chips so I will probably try your suggestion!

I found it kind of by accident. Sprayed some on a piece of metal just to see how it sprayed and forgot about it for a couple of weeks. Came back and it was so tough I couldnt scratch it with a screwdriver. I spray metal parts with it now and bake it in a toaster oven, low heat for a 20 minutes. It sets up rock hard.

I cover my mold in packing tape than a thin layer of wax.

Looks like a bundle of cocaine

If your going with something thick and rubberized just go with bedliner as paint. I chose textured outdoor furniture paint with my color being shot over that.

lol that’s what my neighbor said :joy:

my question is if your doing three layers of the fiberglass do you do one layer let it dry before doing the next? or can you just do three layers at once?

Im wondering how did this hold up im planning to do my own in the next week or two