MAD Storm...The attempt to create the Most Powerful Direct Drive_LoL

How did your stator already have a keyway? or did you make it yourself (how?)

Stator had already a key way. A lot of motor use that system to hold them in place. I will make the other half on the pipe.

1 Like

Did I fucked up? The motor spins a little but it is certainly not right…

https://youtu.be/wym2LVdAKfc

@Hummie

Screenshot_20190309-211056

Hopefully u have easy access to the 6 magnet wire ends and u can reterminate them. The inductance and resistance numbers scream “short!” Though. Actually I don’t know what u even did

You sure you’re on the right thread? Lol

2 Likes

Oops, we talked about this on the DD mad hubs thread… Got confused

1 Like

Awesome project! I have been mulling over getting a CNC mill as well but it is likely to be heavily under utilised…

How is your step craft holding up when cutting aluminium? So far in terms of budget and availability (being in Asia), I am severely limited by what the local distributors carry. But I do have a step craft dealer, so that’s one possible option.

I had previously not looked at it because it’s still a router… Not ideal for metal work. But seems like you got it to cut metal just fine…

1 Like

Yeh it’s not correct by the value are shorted

1 Like

Thanks! I follow your pejects, really inspiring. As I wrote in another post I chose Stepcraft to have something to use instead of building but then I spent the same amount of time to make it right. So with the s mount of money you can male your own CNC with better spec. It’s not difficult you have to read about a bit and you can make one. As a good cheap entry level around 1200-1500$ you can get a CNC 6040 frame (classic one you find every where in Asia), but buy the model with supported axis, miche stronger, then there are kit for the motors, drive and breakout board with nema23, perfect to start with, and a spindle 1.5w or better 2.2w air (easier to maintain) or liquid cooled. That’s it. The rest you have to learn it anyway. How to use a CNC doesn’t chenge between the model. Now I order same kit to make the stepcraft better. I won’t buy the same one, just build one.

Actually I have been researching on converting a proper mill to CNC. The routers no matter what have less mass and as a result are not as suitable for metal.

I am narrowing it down to a Sieg SX2.7 as it’s one of the very few desktop Mills I can get my hands on locally. Then kit it up with CNC. But the pricing is going to escalate easily way past a 6040…

Also I am pretty sure I am going to get an earful from the Mrs.

Of course converting a manual
Mill to a CNC one is the best option for metal. D Fixed spindle is just way more rigid than a router. Although I would still chose a router because the mill is more expensive and I understand the extra rigidity for production parts where time is one of the main factor. But a router with supported axis,screws and few reinforced parts of you want the extra kit it’s plenty for aluminium. You will have problem with steel thought. The sofferenze is that will take swallow passage and overall more time to make the parts but you will have the versatility of a router and work on several applications. Of you want more you can go for psed loop motors, 3 times more expensive bur anlther world.

Just checked and the mill you suggested is actually pretty good. Here a guy the converted and seems a feasible job https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnczone.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D305810&share_tid=305810&share_fid=11158&share_type=t The axis are easy accessible to install the stepper motor. Apparently nema34 for Z, due to weight. As software I use mach3 but UCCNC is cheaper and easier.

3 Likes

Today I have done some progress. The MAD Fury are ready for release. I will update that thread too. For the MAD Storm I took the time to think about what @Hummie said. Played a bit with the epoxy and indeed if I heat it up a bit it becomes really thin. Nice trick! Tired in some metal parts I think it’s feasible to use to to cover the wires. Finished the stator, made the key way, super professional one :joy: I also reduced the gap and between stator and pipe. Overall I gain 1cm along the entire axle. That’s a lot!

IMG_20190310_202104 IMG_20190310_202137 IMG_20190310_202149 IMG_20190310_202120 IMG_20190310_202051 Here you can see how much space I gain. It’s short fatty rocket now :grin:

12 Likes

how did you heat it up? did you use a container you can spoil?

Hot gun, easy life. Few seconds and immidiately you see the difference.

2 Likes

Yes heating the epoxy a bit helps a lot for these sort of tasks I needed to fill a bit of delamination on my deck and it looked like the ‘warm’ epoxy pored in the gap without a struggle

2 Likes

Yeh it really makes a difference. I will feel up the magnets and the rear windings.

1 Like

What is stator exact dimension? Don’t you think that 85kv is going to be too much with big wheels?

I am going to use 90mm. Should give 50kmh at 12s based on the calculator. That’s why I chose it. Although the MAD hubs 75Kv goes 54kmh at least at 12s. So maybe I could go 75Kv. These are real 85Kv tested. Stator is like 53 x 52mm. Bigger than everything is out there as DD afaik :grin:

2 Likes

Shit that’s a big stator, even 6080 motors only have about 40-45mm long stators

I know they are massive :smile: I Will measure it again but are really big. The MAD hub has that stator size. I thought they were more 6355 motors. Maybe that’s why are so strong. IMG_20190309_003120 IMG_20190309_003157

6 Likes