MAD Fury. MAD hubs Direct Drive conversion

I mean if you go to mass production than the price is really cheap but you need to put quite some money in advance. Now I am making a DD from scratch, from an out runner motor. I have to make more parts but i can design how I want. To me it’s simpler like that because from existing motors you really need the parts to fit perfectly.

2 Likes

No no, absolutely. For you it’s an engineering and learning project, so it’s never going to be competitive. I was just curious about your opinion now that you have built and tested a DD.

1 Like

basic motors like the one skullboard and meepo ecc uses, are around 10-20$ in mass production

1 Like

image WOOT! \o/ Imagine them stators be like 60x110s… BIIG mean fuckers hehe :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Have you thought about what youre going to call your [Outrunner motor -> DD] system?

1 Like

of course that the first thing!!! :laughing: So this one is MAD Fury, the next DD would be MAD storm and the board I am going to make Stormbreaker. In line with the previous board called Avenger. Without the name I can not work :grin: Anyhow back to the 97mm wheels. 90mm was too risky for the motors. I compesate the high by removing the nose and tail guard…now the board should be at the same height of 90mm wheels. What to do with the extra speed, no idea still didn’t top with the 90mm wheels.

3 Likes

do you mean the motors?

I think he might be talking about wheels, like the TB110s

If you were to make a kit that I can buy that has everything to convert besides the hubs themselves… :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

2 Likes

if there is enough interest I will make it, I foudn a company willing to make CNC parts in EU too. Do not know the price though. I have the quotation from oversee, the price is good.

2 Likes

Btw how is the bending in the truck, does it deform when you stand on it?

yeh difficult to check it but I can tell you that even with 90mm wheels that it’s really few mm from the ground you have to go over cracks to touch the 3D printed can. So I do not think it bends too much. Yesterday I check the truck without the wheels and the adapters are still there in place. nothing moved. So far so good and I am using everyday. I also not super heavy, like 80kg plus gears and back pack probably 90 (all the gym stuffs, food ecc, look like that I am leaving for camping every morning). Anyhow I think that the easiest way it’s just drill the motors and make all the way 12mm. I might redo it like that, just for fun, but already now it’s 12mm along the whole axle.

3 Likes

Ah if he meant the wheels @composites_r_awesome then the Kv is too high. The next DD I am making use custom motors and you can put whatever motors inside as long is the same stator size. To me for 110mm wheels you have to go like 50-60Kv max.

1 Like

Ah yes I mean the ‘imaginable’ stator, didn’t specify that:)

Ah ok. The only limit is how wide you want the truck and how big is yuu battery. For instance the next DD I am making has way bigger motor but you will need to pair it with bigger battery too. So at the end its a balance otherwise you will move around 50Kg skateboard :grin:

Ok first day back on the 97mm wheels. I have to give up and keep them. The 90mm gives too low clearance. Anyhow I removed the tail and front guard risers and now the overall height it’s still the same as 90mm wheels, so really nice. Riding feeling is really good. Popoca is better even if 90mm. Probably need to upgrade to Abec reflex 97mm. Anyhow based on my calculation rode about 70-85km with them. All fine. Being outside the PU makes them running hand warm and nothing more. Efficiency is really good. Conperable to the Meepo hubs but with double of the power. Increased motor max to 60A to comprate the bigger wheels. Amazing torque. Tried to hit the top speed this morning but strava stopped to log. Here the evenkng riding. Pretty fast one considering the traffic and traffic lights :laughing:

strava

5 Likes

Please tell us @Winfly!

1 Like

tldr is 130kv is delta terminated. and 75 is wye terminated you can cut open the phase wires. and identify 3 pairs of winding ends and re-terminate it to wye termination.

2 Likes

I know that, but rey said something about taking the motor apart being very difficult… Any tips?

Might have missed it but what OD did you end up with on your motor can ?

I can see you were running 90’s which were preferred but changed to 97’s due to concerns with clearance.

Obviously will change with road conditions but how much clearance do you think is needed ?

97mm is good. You go around without problem. 90mm it’s really a super car, you have few mm left, plus the compression of the wheels underload leaves really small clearance. I would say 97mm is the minimum. The OD is imposed by the origianal motor can, so the final one is 76mm