MAD Fury. MAD hubs Direct Drive conversion

I would imagine curve is either x^2 or just linear, and this was nothing of the sort. Lol.

Those motors drained my old space cell pro 4 in 8 miles :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My og point was they seem to drain significantly more, but what is the difference compared to the 75s?

(I was supposed to order the 75kvs but went for speed…🤷)

What do you mean?

Yeh probelm that I am now using unity and the only app compatible is metr, but I don’t have metr module. Ackmaniac is great but not compatible with unity yet. It does pair 1 out 5, but the connection is not stable, always stops recording ecc… Anyhow the difference is immense. I don’t know why since I think they are the same motors, one in wye and the other in delta. Probably one is more efficient, but with the 75Kv I hlget same range than the Meepo hubs so like 13-14watt/km while riding pretty fast and lower to 11 with more cruising style.

I have not compared a kegel wheel to a abec wheel. I was simply wondering if somebody had made a metal ring which went on both sides of the wheel which allows a kegel pully to go in an abec wheel with the metal ring adapter on both sides.

Maybe the diameter of the holes will not allow it…probably a dumb Q

1 Like

What @pat.speed said is correct they need more amp for the same torque so the efficiency is toward high rpm. Although it’s true that is not linear I get 30km out of the 75Kv and barelly 10-12km with the 130Kv. Same setting. You can think to switch the termination. It’s rather easy. The tricky part is to disassemble the rear bearings from the stator.

1 Like

Wow so I really fucked up getting the 130! :roll_eyes::joy:

Oh well, maybe I’ll get the 75s and make them into a direct drive when you release your how to guide? :wink:

2 Likes

I would like this also as I’ve got a bunch of Acton hubs to play with now.

This It’s really customized for the hubs. You can covert all kinds of hub but you need different parts and approache

2 Likes

Yeh I didn’t know before hands. I also bought both of them. You can reterminate them Here the lower Kv conversion, easy

2 Likes

Like @rey8801 said converting hubs to dd is very simple. Since both sides of the motor already have bearings. All that is needed is an extended axle and a core adaptor that can bolt straight onto the existing plate that covered one side of the motor.

The other great thing is they are nice and compact meaning that can probably be squeezed onto some 180/195mm trucks

1 Like

Thanks @pat.speed I have some don’t trip slalocybins that I’m not using any more as I got the new dh-cybins down hill slalom truck and won’t use the slalom again so I was thinking my two separate single Acton hubs mounted to these 90 mm hanger I might go see a machine shop and get them shaved a bit more and beefed up the Axel’s as I’ll need custom ones…I’m not a heavy weight at all at 140 to 150 pounds…been tempted to buy a metasurf motor also Screenshot_20190218-083104

1 Like

Those don’t look very wide, you will need at least 55mm of room between the inside of the wheel and the bit of the hanger that starts to curve off to attach to the bad plate. 180mm might fit depending on the truck and 195-205 should also fit. I could be wrong tho as I’ve only done a little bit of measuring. You probably won’t have to beef up the axle as long as most of the aluminium hanger stays there. You should aim for 16mm hanger but I guess it depends on the size of the hub motor and bearings

1 Like

Converting hubs to DD is for sure not too much complicate but not to discourage anyone do not thing is a one night shoot. You need to right fit everything in order to have a reliable finish product and the parts you need will cost you some if you don’t have the machine and the skills needed to manufacture by yourself. I mean you can also ask to a company but you need to give them precise measurements otherwise every try will cost you as a new motor.

2 Likes

Thanks gentleman

How much did it cost you in the end? According to you what is a reasonably priced DD?.maybe for something similar to yours?

Guys if it was easy, Carvon would have delivered all his orders long time ago. Even torqueboards had to delay their delivery dates for their new DD.

I imagine it looks simple but is actually quite complicated.

I have managed to convert the 130kv to 75. Pm me for instructions.

3 Likes

Man that is great. I hope that the efficiency will also be the same I see with the 75Kv. How did you menage to remove the back bearings? Heat it up or what?

Time wise a lot. I had to take all the measurements to make the model and 6 rounds of prototype to make it fit right. Then I bought a small CNC and a lathe. Of course also for other things I do but otherwise not possible to make it without. Then the metal itself both aluminium and steel. The trucks, the motors ecc…so only parts I would say 300 euro. Plus the machines and time, a lot of time. I tried to ask a company. Only for making a prototype of only the few metal parts, still have to buy motors and mill the trucks, threads ecc…was 360$ plus shipping, and you are not sure it will be correct at the first try. I then asked them what if I order more, then the price became competitive. For instance 20 sets of this kit would be more affordable but still it is not cheap.

1 Like

Thanks, that gives me some insight. I was amazed how the skullboard people can keep their prices so low. I got the front and rear for $139 shipped. So was curious how much you though was making a DD from hub motor. image