MAD Fury. MAD hubs Direct Drive conversion

146 or 126, close enough! Might be some inductance in the actual mid point thats hard to compensate for.

This morning back to the road. I needed to use it to go to work. I took it really easy since I don’t want to fall again in case of something brakes, plus need to set the truck ecc… Anyhow I have to say that with the unity I feel more power compare to before and more gradual control. The acceleration is better and the unity temp stained so low compare to other VESC i have tried. These MAD hubs are really nice and at 12s they go really fast. Unfortunately the @Ackmaniac app has some compatibility problem with the unity. It does work but it stops recording during the commute and 50% of the time doesn’t receive the data at first try. Here the screen from the ride this morning.

vescmonitor

I can tell you that I maybe reached 45kmh but there is more room (65kmh was a free spin), around 53-55kmh should be no problem with my battery, a 4-5p will do better. To finish faster I printed the motor can cover in ABS (just for eastetics). Still holding fine but not sure how long it will last. Well I have the metal to make it, but I am working on another DD at the moment Which will be a bit overkill I think but why not? :laughing:

2 Likes

Hows the upper part off throttle curve with the unity? Guessing its somwhat unlinear like all 4.x hardware cause of the 2 shunt design?

yeh to me it pushes more during the acceleration than at the top when it’s more a smooth increase, but I didn’t feel any steps or whatsoever. I had used the flipsky 6.6 before, not too much with these motor though (or at least for really short time), and rode them in FOC as well. Both of the vesc give a really nice feeling, compare to my old Maytech 4.12 you feel the difference.

Update after one week of riding. I still have to get use to these hubs at 12s. They ride super smooth but the power is too much for my short board. At least for me :grin: Switched back to 90mm…despite the lower clearance I needed to feel more stable, now it rides like a super car. The torque improved a lot and I can not believe how strong they are. I never tried a raptor hubs but man these MAD hubs push a lot. Still didn’t find the gut to push them to the limit. Went over 45 kmh for sure but you get there so fast that I am not sure how fast you can actually go at the end. I can not log any telemetry data since ackmaniac’s app is not working properly with the unity. I will use some running app to at least show something. Ah the unity BTW gives way better brakes then the other vesc I have tried (same setting). What is surprising me is the efficiency. The 130Kv were usigg a lot of current while the 75Kv for the moment the consumption is really good. Did I already told you how strong they are? Ahahaha

IMG_20190216_113345 IMG_20190216_113448

With a kick tail would be perfect! Love my little buddy… Time to get some black 90mm abec. If someone has a set to sell hit me with a pm!

11 Likes

What’s wrong w the popocas?

1 Like

No they are perfect. But I made the Pulley for Abec core :grin: if you see I have a Abec clone at the back and popoca in front. Now I am making new direct drive so no time to make a new adapter for kegel core. Popoca are amazing. Plus now with the 50% discount. Unfortunately I am in EU and shipping + taxes kill the deal.

1 Like

I like the popocas a lot. I hope he decides to have a bigger version of them.

Yes they are really nice to ride and I immidiately feel the difference when I use them.

I know me too.

1 Like

I will probably use them or caguamas blue for the next build I am starting.

When are you gonna put up the form? Not enough testing yet?

Well not sure if I want to make them available because you will need the hubs which are quite expensive and then the cnc work. I think the lower I can provide them is around 450 euro and 250 the kit only. For sure they are worth it since to me are really nice hubs. Plus I like the idea of a conversion kit but maybe is better to just drill the motor and go for a 12mm axle all the way. Simpler and stronger for sure. In that case to come back you will need just a small cylinder adapter, but why come back when you can have the as DD? Probably my design is enough storing but I weight 85kg. Do not know if someone of over 100kg decide to jump on it :rofl:

1 Like

I like the idea of having a hub drive that is modular. Meaning you could switch to any tire you want.

For that you will only need a different adapter or what I am designing now an adapter with several holes that can fit kegel and abec core.

Exactly and I like the idea of supporting innovative forum members.

Ok I will first make the second direct drive and then I will present it. I think there is space for both. The second one is just for hardcore. We’ll this one is already too much power for a short board but the other is gonna be over the limit. Believe me :smile: Just a little spoiler of the last 3D printed test fit with tlreal bearings and motor and axle…

IMG_20190213_014612

Just a little bit more power… :laughing:

6 Likes

It’s better to have power right off the bat since you could always dial it down from the Vesc.

Absolutely, plus it will run way cooler in that way. But the MAD Fury is more compact for short board too. The other it’s gonna be a bit too massive I think. More for > 35 inch board

1 Like

That’s perfect. I have two hummie decks