M1 Clone | Dual Hummies Hub | Dual VESC | 36" Cruiser

Hey everyone - I’m working on my first ever DIY electric skateboard. I have decided to go hub motors because I like being able to coast with little rolling resistance. I am going dual hubs because I am 6’2" 195lbs. My main reason for this board is to get my my house to the caltrain, and then from the caltrain to work in San Fransico. There is a medium hill on the route I take which I would love to get up, but I could take a flat route instead if need be. So I dont need to really go very fast or very far.

Here is a list of my parts. I have a few questions at the bottom I was hoping to get some help with.

$290.00 - Dual Motors - Jacob’s motors http://vesc.net.au/product/83mm-hub-motor/

$200.00 - 2 x VESC diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-the-best-electric-skateboard-esc/

$7.00 - VESC Connector diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-canbus-connector/

15.00 - VESC Programmer diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-usb-programmer-stlinkv2/

$60.00 - 2.4ghz Controller / Receiver diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-2-4ghz-nano-remote-controller/

60.00 - 2 X Zippy 5000mAh 4S1P 20C lipo Batteries (2 in series) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8580&aff=1086883

35.00 - Battery Charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_15167__HobbyKing_8482_ECO6_10_200W_10A_6S_Bal_Dis_Cyc_Charger_w_acc_US_Warehouse.html 100.00 - Deck

43.00 - Power Supply http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_19680__HobbyKing_350w_25A_Power_Supply_100v_120v_US_Warehouse.html

10.00 - Parallel charging board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=41306&aff=1086883

Misc: ~36” deck from a local Skateshop Truck Risers Enclosure

Questions: Ok so batteries. Should I just sack up and buy the enertion battery pack? If so which one? I would be very happy with 20mph and 7mile range. Would their 6S2P ok? I obviously would like to keep cost as low as I can, but I dont want to skimp out and regret it either. The 6S2P pack (comes with charger) isnt too much more expensive than 2 batteries from hobbyking, and a charger. If I really need to get one of there more expensive packs, I would need to think more about it.

If I end up getting battery packs from hobby king can I cut the pack open to get the batteries to lie flat? Also, Jacob’s hub motors site doesn’t seem to have a recommendation for batteries. Right now I am spec’d for 8S 5000mah.

Are there any other wires / random pieces I am missing?

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Jacob hub motors don’t work I have them in the nice box they came in stored away. I would suggest belt drive.

While shopping at hobby king, get some: -10 awg red-black wire -12 awg red-black wire -a pack xt60 connectors (never have to many of those) -xt90 connector w anti spark -shrink tube -flux, always solder with flux -solder -flush cutters, always usefull

Oh and save yourself 15$, you don’t need stm programmer, just a mini usb, it comes with the bootloader already in

2 Likes

@hummie’s motors are very solid, and I’ve been running a set really hard with only good things to say about them.

I’d definitely pick up a set from him and keep the rest of your setup the same.

165mm arsenal trucks rear, 180mm front. kegels front, hummie motors back. That will give you the perfect wheel spacing.

1 Like

@cmatson Do you have the Steel/Aluminum set or the all steel set?

Huh, what do you mean?

@maxid Hummies seems to have 2 options: http://tppsf.com/steel-hubs/#store

Steel/Aluminum for 265 All Steel for 400

Urethane slip and the connection between the motor and truck is a poor design that isnt going to last

I would stay away from Jacob hubs. After preordering them then waiting months for them I received his recall email stating that they may be too dangerous to ride due to urethane slipping and to be patient for either a refund or a working pair. Well less than 10 miles on my motors one of them started slipping then the other motor somehow started spinning and ripped the wires out. Not to mention the front wheels were lopsided as hell. So now I have EMF paper weights. Been trying to resolve issue for over 3 months now but nothing but crickets from Jacob. you will have better luck with alibaba.

just because there are issues (that can be solved by the way) you can’t just say they don’t work. There are reported problems but also reported solutions:

• double sided tape for urethane slipping
  • broken screws can be replaced with better (steal) or bigger ones

You are in a DIY forum so this should not be too much to ask in my opinion.

1 Like

I dont want to take anybodys side just objective: Jacob sold a complete set. Even with a real product box! This does not seem like DIY. Thus i can understand if people have problems with these issues.

But yeah the fix is probably simple…

I agree that they turned out to be not as advertised. But everyone who is able to build themselves an esk8 should be able to fix these issues.

What deck are you getting?

Why were the last 2 negative but true comments deleted about Jacob hub motors? That’s funny I thought this forum was to inform the uniformed about new and tried products in the market. In my case it has been a 6 month nightmare all documented. I don’t mind taking the loss and chalking it up to a life lesson but that’s no reason anyone else should have to go through the same thing. Unless you want a beautiful box for your wife to store her cowboy boots in?

@airmacx Not sure yet. Something in the 36" range. Just going to stop by my local skateshop to pick something out when the time comes! I really like Santa Cruz decks.

Anyone have any comments on the battery situation?

had aluminum, sold them to @longhairedboy after I bought a steel set. Can’t tell a temp different from the aluminum to steel as hummie has mentioned, but I definitely think (In dual only! no singles) they are the best solution to a reliable, clean looking board.

Hey im just trying to save this guy some money. If you like these motors so much I’ll sell them to you. I didn’t like them because they’re slow and not as advertised on 12s plus the mechanical problems aren’t worth risking injury.

they’re probably going to end up on my powell peralta deck. I tried them out breifly on my Scarlet but i didn’t have time to really mess with the VESC settings and they really needed some tuning. I couldn’t get them to start from a stand still yet, and the brakes were almost non-existant. I’m sure its all just VESC tuning, but like i said I haven’t had time.

heyimdan I dont sell either of those motors anymore. I’ll have different motors coming, instead of the 80x56 size matching the kegel that I had before and on the website I’ll have 80x101mm! long motors. 3x the power all steel and with bigger sealed bearings and 78 duro rubber. If you want to get in on the first batch of those best write me soon as anyone in on the first batch gets them cheap. they’re likely to be 200$ for me after shipping from china…I’ll sell you one for 300$ and comes mounted with a pair of paris v2 trucks and with 2 of the new nitrile tires. i can mount it so it’s recessed and will have an equal distance sticking out the side if you want, and it’s more so under the board, or have it sticking out and get as low a deck as possible.

@hummie That sounds great! I’ll PM you later today! Are you based in SF or SoCal?