Low Guido's hack board. For Science | now with hub motors

Definitely one of my favorite control variations I’ve seen, I can totally see this for casual commute or beach cruising!

I forgot you posted a video, but I watched it now. That is sweet! Your explanation was still very informative cause I would still be wondering how you would slow down or stop. Seems like you’d need some kind of leash or proximity kill switch in case you fall off at speed.

As soon as your foot leaves the board it would stop driving anyway. It is automatically a kill switch. If you had a lot of momentum it might still roll a bit, but that’s what you would expect from any skateboard motor or not.

@lowGuido this is brilliant. Nice work!

I actually really enjoy riding this board. its cool not having anything in your hands. it feels a little bit more like a real skateboard and you actually get a bit more exercise LOL.

To speak about the nunchuck being unreliable : maybe i just have an old version of it I had to remove my 2 triple A batteries and swap out with some huge 18650 batteries so that it doesnt die in 15 minutes of use. lol but other than that as long as it hasa strong battery in it its okay.

Also I switched on my old board and it does have cruise control! BUT it only works if youre on the throttle, meaning it doesnt have rpm sensing. I want to try it on a sensored motor and see if it works.

there is something wrong if your nunchuck runs out of batteries alot. My regular AA’s last for weeks! also the code for perpetual steez doesn’t have any feedback loop as far as im aware, so even with sensored motors you would probably need to alter the code and electronics to make it cruise control.

cruise control senses the speed and alters the throttle up and down automatically to hold the same speed. Perpetual steez just holds the throttle in one place.

1 Like

I wouldnt be surprised if there was something wrong with it. I have a brand new one ill have to try it and see if its any better. and thank you for clearing that up I didnt know there was a difference. I just like your build so much i was trying to implement something similar with what i have.

the easiest way to do it is with the VESC. everything is all ready to go. just add nunchuck.

Can it be done on a arduino or flight controller and a car esc? switching forward and reverse emphasized textwould be amazing too.

reverse is certainly an option with VESC, It’s not something that I ever use, but i could easily wire a press button on the other end of the board so that when you switch the board drives reverse.

This is a bit off topic but how did you mount the gear to the dregs wheels? I’ve wanted to experiment with riding on smaller wheels.

The dregs wheels were the easiest wheels to mount pulley to. They already have 5 holes in them, i just drilled 5 corresponding holes in the pulley and put 5 bolts through. I don’t have a real good shot of it. But you ca kind of see in this video.

Think I’m gonna make my custom 55 inch longboard like this…how did you power the nunchuck?

i guess you could leave a extra reciecver in there if you want to be able to switch off

the nunchuck just gets its power from the Vcc and GND pins on the VESC. (red and black in the vid) I’m not sure what you mean by extra receiver?

I think some people assume it’s a wireless nunchuck but its a regular wired one isn’t it ?

I’m sorry that didn’t make any sense …

Meaning if you wanted to to use a regular hand control … You can stick a reciver in there and switch the wires when you want to switch … Meaning you aren’t stuck having the board one way or another … Hope that makes sense

@trbt555 Yes it is a regular wired nunchuck, not a wireless one.

@Michaelinvegas there is no reason you couldn’t have a receiver wired on as well. you could use a DPDT switch on the data and clock to toggle between push assist and wireless. not a bad idea…

I think it would be a great feature to have on any … Maybe something like Kickr with that temporary Velcro band with a button…and when wanna use the hand control…just disconnect it and make the switch