Louboard 1.0 Mod, Upgrade | Lightweight | Portable

Some seriously bad looking shit right there! I’m doing a very similar build with my Banshee, which is a similar form factor and similar weight to the Lou.

2 Likes

I know!!! I have put your board in my cart about 20 times. Just haven’t clicked pay now yet! Im in Australia and saw a recent review by Jay Boston and thought this may be the way to go!!! Loving your work.

3 Likes

Hey! At least there’s one person thinking I’'m doing something right. Seems like all of Reddit wants to downvote my product to oblivion and upvote the 20th meepo clone coming to market.

If it means anything, I’m going back and forth with my partner on a risk assessment for potentially selling just the deck alone for others to use.

5 Likes

I mean meepo has its place. But I’m looking for a good backpack board that has some good power whilst importantly being very lightweight. I have electric longboards but I want a portable commuter. Hence this board. But I may end up going with the banshee. Just want to see more hands on reviews and opinions rather then just readit and deep analysis of the specs here.

The enertion raptor 1 got hit hard online. But I love mine. It’s such a personal thing. The only specs that matter is what matters directly to you. Aka I don’t need a board that goes 30km or at 30 km/h I just want a lightweight stable backpack board that I can take a incline and I can strap it to my bag and take it to dinner with the misses if I need to.

Yep! Definitely sounds like a good fit for you, that’s for sure… A beta unit is with Ronnie Sarmiento, who can probably provide more insight into how the board rides and all(since he basically tried every ‘cheap’ board under the sun). I’m pretty confident the Banshee will stack up well versus all the meepo clones… that’s for sure.

I had a similar idea of portable board and wanted only the deck. This looks promising if only they sold the deck.

4 Likes

So I have finished up my mod from a hub motor to belt driven Lou board 1.0. So to back up and explain why.

Essentially the original louboard 1.0 single hub motor was very very weak and was next to useless at taking any inclines. With parts I had handy and a cheap hobbyking motor mount.

I was able to give the board significantly better brakes and torque with only a little more weight. The board is still lightweight and portable. Just not as sleek as it once was.

The only thing I’m still waiting to change is the esc. For simplicity I have decided to simply swap over the hub programmed esc with a single belt programmed esc. I know going to a VESC would be far far better but without an antispark switch handy and not wanting to do a loop key. A cheap swap of the escs was the most simple option. This should give better throttle and braking as the esc will be programmed for a belt rather then hub motor.

7 Likes

Good job :slight_smile: It looks fantastic :slight_smile: Did you replace the battery?

Kept the same battery, With a belt system and not a hub it seems to put a lot less stress on the battery. So far I have taken it up some decent inclines and it only starts beeping at the end rather than at the start with the hubs.

3 Likes

I just contacted SoFlow to ask if they are selling the board separately. Want to do a similar build to yours :slight_smile: Just love the form factor and look of the Lou board. Have you tried 20700 and the focbox ? Since the focbox takes less room as the build-in esc I think

Tell me how it goes :wink:

Already asked them some time ago. They said they wouldn’t do it back then but they wanted to think about it.

A focbox would be the way to go. I don’t have one handy and didnt want to spend a fortune on this as it’s just a fun kick around board. I will be changing it over to a vesc in the next couple of weeks as I have a couple old ones handy, just waiting on an antispark switch.

This is my first single motor setup. I have 4 other boards with dual belt and dual hub. I can’t say I’m in love with the feeling or performance of a single belt drive. I’m going to change over to dual belt.

Because I want to keep things cheap and and simple i’m going to go with the diyeboard dual belt setup. http://www.diyeboard.com/dual-belt-drive-1400w2-n5055-motor-power-truck-p-658.html

The change over to a dual setup will require some reconfiguration of the boards internals. I’m going to need to get out the Dremel and remove some of the extra plastic and dividers that held the original electronics and battery.

No going back after I start cutting. I had planned on just playing with this board and then just selling it on. But I’m actually quite enjoying the form factor of the deck.

Sounds good. But wouldn’t going for dual drive diminish the purpose of a commuter board (lightweight). What about going for a 6374 ? No need for the extra Vesc in there.

I’m currently on the lookout for a used Lou board to diy it. Let me know if you want to sell yours :))

1 Like

I’m located in Australia so postage would be killer. The weight is important but not the most important. I have found I am able to attach this to my backpack which makes it so convenient. An extra 2kg max wouldn’t make a huge difference on a backpack.

I have tried a 6374 which is great. But again I’m not a fan of the single setup.

I bought someone’s used Lou 3.0 after it arrived to them with a broken speed controller. I ended up replacing it with the dual hub esc from diyeboard. It works great other than the range. As others have mentioned, the battery gets far less range than advertised. Also, I can’t brake if there is a full charge or it will shut off the board. I was thinking of replacing it with a 10s1p 18650 battery, but I’m wondering how which type of cells are in the stock battery. That aside, the deck is by far the best part of the board. Perfect commuter board. I’ll watch to see what you guys come up with.

I had the esc cut off on me going downhill last week. Very very sketchy. How does the 3.0 handle hills? All the videos I have seen still show it struggles. Hence why I’m going with belts. The deck is great! Everyone is saying just scrap it and get something else. But that’s not the point. I love the deck and it’s super clean and short. I have other electric skateboards that are great and comfy because they are long. But I just want a sweet small commuter and just something to keep playing with and upgrading.

1 Like

how much room to work can you get out of it if using a Dremel ? Possibly fitting a 10s1 A123 or 20700 pack in there ? Would you know if there is a difference in room between the 1.0 PU deck and the carbon fiber decks ?

I’ve thought about putting 90mm flywheels on it. Should I worry about wheelbite ?

I will get an extra 2cm in length I think. The carbon decks internals are much larger. The 3.0 needs to fit a dual belt esc which is wider and longer. Wish I had a carbon deck instead!

With wheelbite it really depends what width trucks you put on. I think you would get some wheelbite. Maybe a spacer or two would help.

1 Like

Yeah the carbon fiber deck is designed to basically fit the battery, the dual hub esc and the wires. No room to spare at all. The dual belt struggles going up even minor hills. It will start to beep almost immediately even with a full charge. I agree that it is a great commuter board when the ground is flat. The deck is by far the best part of the lou board.