Lou She's Esk8 on Kickstarter

how do you get 15 miles out of a 72Wh pack? 7, ok. But the 3.0 has to be something different.

1 Like

They seem to be going very strongly in the “designed and made in the Switzerlands” direction

1 Like

@michichopf : Did you get to ride the board? If yes, version 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0? Aside from all the over exaggeration, i have to admit the board itself is still kinda​ interesting. fabTRAVs review made it seem like you get quite a nice board for a low price.

Alright. Sorry but its easter and family lunch took longer than expected.

More information and videos will be following this post since we were offered to lend a LOU 3.0 within our group to test it extensively and to pass around so we have multiple feedbacks to give them. We were also invited to visit them at their headquarters to check things out.

We were 4 riders meeting with LOU. 3 of us have extensive practice riding an esk8 and driven multiple systems from DIY, to boosted, evolve, Raptor etc. To give you our perspective.

We met in a cafĂ© at easter monday, he was super quick and friendly in accepting our wish to talk with him and see/test the board. He came well prepared but so did we :). We first got to know who he is, what his company does and the experience they have. They already deal with big players (for switzerland) in direct sales for e-mobility. From hoverboards, to e-bikes, other electric longboards and now the LOU board. So supply chain and lead times won’t be such an issue as we have seen with other kickstarters/boards. If they coulnd’t deliver on time those big buyers (like Manor etc.) would jump ship immidiately. Also a lot of infrastracture is built/process of building. With warehouses all over. Also nice to know was that they are handling the aftersales of multiple products in a timely manner.

Now lets get to the boards. He brought a LOU 2.0 and a LOU 3.0 (single drive/dual drive full carbon).

Deck: the deck felt solid, nice material, nice finish and very smooth. Here and there are minor upgrades that they will do since it is a prototyp. Such as a cap to ensure no water ingress from the charging port etc.

Trucks: Actual good trucks. somewhat unique in design but solid and very sturdy.

Wheels: Surprisingly good urethane. The first compliment I actualy gave about the boards was how smooth the board felt even though its a small hard deck with hubs. I have ridden other hub motors and I was pleasently surprised.

Insides: We were allowed to open up the boards and loock inside, we were asked not to show the pictures of the insides. Good to know/see was that it is a Lion pack with original panasonic cells. All the elctronics fit very nice.(the 3.0 has a bigger battery).

Overall : I thinks it is actually a real contender for a short light board atm. It has a decent price point, is very light (around 4.2kg), sleeck design and very steatlhy. Perfectly suited for short comutes or joyrides, not so much for serious riding or long stretches (it is a nickel/penny board afterall). The fact that they plan to offer a 1 year warranty for both the motors and battery is nice, 2 years for the deck,trucks and other hardware.

To the reddit/kickstarter/forums comments. We of course asked him the uncomfortable questions you guys posted about. He explained to us that they are working on their boards for a long period of time (14 months). They designed the board and put a factory in China in charge of producing a board (like pretty much every big player in the industry). Their factory then realeased information to WINboard (which is a reseller) about the LOU with pictures they should not have, and LOU has filled legal steps against it. Also WINboard is about/has already taken down the board from their site. He showed us the certificate for the “reddot award” as well as the product design pattent. Anyone dealing with china/Shenzhen will know that patents don’t mean anything to them. And a tight control and supervision is nescesarry to protect ones pattent. Hence the WINboard fail. All in all he was very open about it, even mentioned the comments and resevations from other himself. He was very adament on proving them wrong and he seems to have the proof to do so.

Being willing to lend a board to a group of esk8ters who ride regularly in the group and commute daily to work/uni is very brave and shows a lot of faith for their product (even more since it is still a prototype). They want feedback and opinions, which is allways good.

Since we will get a board in the next days to test further, let me know what questions you have. I will also do a range, hill climb, and speed test. Also what question you would like to have answered by LOU. Of course I will check with them before I release any pictures or videos since they lend us their prototype in good faith. No NDA was signed just our word and mutual trust.

Pictures:

Short Video:

5 Likes

yess, See all I got so far above :slight_smile:

Sorry man, it is easter and family lunch toock longer :slight_smile:

The memes man :slight_smile:

The “boxes” you see, is where the battery and electronics (seperate boxes) belong, to ensure water resitance. And it is a Lion battery with original panasonic cells.

you can’t delete on the internet, it remembers
 :smiley:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2Muh3gt0MV0J:https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/WINboard-GT-M7-Canadian-maple-wood_60624244052.html+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

1 Like

So basically WINboard stole this from them and they’re the original designers. And they are legit and can back up their claims, and don’t have a terrible product.

I’ll mock them a little less now.

6 Likes

But just a little bit. Dont make it too easy. :imp:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info!!

I guess that it does not matter wether or not it is Chinese engineering or not - as long as it is reliable and good quality.

I still feel that their is something off about the company
 I dont know why. I think the company should make a public statement regarding this since many is confused about what to believe.

I would love to see some solid proof too. Atm we only have the guy’s word.

Well. Engineering is swiss in a sense that they designed it here. But I think all boards are pretty much made within a fe square miles in senzchen.

Possibly the esc and board design is Swiss engineered but no f’ing way are these hubs their design , the hubs have been available from Raldey and Bisek for over a year. Either way negative or positive Hopefully some of the backers post reviews and then we can order the parts directly from Winboard to make a 12s4p monster or other.

1 Like

I really like this idea, it looks like a normal penny. I’m just wondering how that small battery will handle the power of a dual drive, from what I know Panasonic doesn’t make high discharge cells. Do you know if anyone makes something like a123 26650 in 18650? Like lower mAh and little lower discharge rate?

1 Like

I will check the battery out further once I get the updated model to try in a few days. Hope they let me share the details of the inside. I was surpised by the battery today actually. But wont post numbers based on a gut feeling. All will be tested documented and posted :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s great to see how this community works outside of the Internet, to make sure ek8s develop the right way :smiley: This really looks like something I would buy, but if you didn’t check out if it was legit, I would just have thought it was a Chinese scam board

Thanks for putting forth the effort in meeting with these group of guys. Ive had my eye on this board for my wife, but also a lot of the same rebranding concerns that have been voiced as well. I’ll follow for a while before I commit to one.

I was also part of the group that met with Manuel (Lou’s co-founder) and can certainly back all @michichopf is saying. My usual ride is the evolve carbon GT but I would certainly not compare Lou with such boards since it belongs to a different category - light small board vs huge heavy monster. Both boards that we tried (prototypes) were very smooth and surprisingly comfortable for carbon/hub motor boards. They were super silent and stealth looking (that is a big advantage for all of us that live in cities that esk8 is not legal and police actually gives fines to riders). Both boards we tried (lou 2.0 and lou 3.0) were not final versions and surely needed fine tuning but all in all from the short test ride we had they were very enjoyable. Still the big questions of 1. How steep can they climb 2. How far can they go remain to be answered after the extended testing. For sure Manuel was very open to answer questions, let us test the boards and seemed to want feedback from real condition testing

2 Likes

mayby update the title to Lou boards ? :slight_smile:

Done
 with the proper spelling :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes