Look like a new Evolve is on the way

I’m not so sure about that, form the logs of my board the amount of time I stay at the peak discharge of my battery is really small, and I live in a hilly city (not SF level)

You can look at the study made by @bevilacqua to see what the average draw from a board is like

here are some papers on pulsed charging and discharging

I personally have not had the time to look into them yet, but I figured I could share them

5 Likes

Will take a look, what is really needed is taking the cycle you developed and doing cycle tests with that for the most used batteries and adjust for different packs configuration, wished I had the resources to do that

1 Like

FWIW evolve said they tested the 30q against the 35e and “35e performed better”. I dunno what this means, but they’re confident in their findings and actually offered to send me a 30q powerflex pack they built for testing to prove to me it’s not better… of course I said yes but they will send it after a few weeks when the launch excitement dies down

17 Likes

As far as I am concerned, in this case their opinion is worth as much as the one that led them to the use of prismatic LiIon cells.

11 Likes

well, it may be the case that they prioritise range over increase in performance, in which case the choice is understandable.

On the other hand, it may be another case of “18650’s catch fire and are unsafe”. Time will tell!

1 Like

Cells that are made to work harder will soon lose that range advantage.

Let’s see what range each pack 35E vs 30Q has after 200-300 actual charge cycles (not the way evolve measures them) when used in a hilly area.

2 Likes

But the 35e and 30q is basically the same price. So it can’t be a financial decision. Maybe they are on to something.

You don’t know that for sure.
It might be the same price for me and you but not necessarily for a big quantity purchase such as the one made by Evolve.

4 Likes

its odd because at the 10A dischage thest it becomes only a 2.4Ah cell, while the 30Q was tested to 2.9Ah (dampfakkus.de).

The IR is a lot higher (28 vs 18 mOhm) = more heat = more losses… especially at pulsed high discharge situations

They have to be cheaper @ bulk like @taz suggested

Would be cool to implement an E-skate testing cycle for single cells…, maybe based on my Driving-cycle coupled to a standardized rider/weight-current consumption.

7 Likes

Can you ask him if they’ll sell flexy battery packs alone?

Moochs and Lygtes findings defere from Dampfakkus. Samsung%20INR18650-35E%203500mAh%20(Pink)-Capacity image image%20(1) There is a long thread on endless sphere 30Q vs. 35E, the e-bike guys prefer the 35E because the cells degrade slower than the 30Q under moderate loads. I would like to know what the peak amp draw limit of the GTR is.

2 Likes

But no one is drawing 40a continous so these charts mean nothing

of course

average users might have a little extra range, power users and those who live in hilly cities probably less range.

(when compared to 30Qs)

5 Likes

image Can see the amps by running on this screen.Can also know the approximate voltage for which the remaining 1% is defined. According to my expectation, it is about 30A at maximum in GTR mode.

2 Likes

My wild guess is, since the prismatic cells degraded so fast, that they are aiming for a longer cycle life with the 35E. In all other aspects the 30Q outperform the 35E in a 10S4P battery.

3 Likes

97 mm wheel, 6 inch AT tire. It seems to be optimized in combination with these. GTR peak amplifier may be lower than older GT series. As a result, it may be balanced with 35E cells.The KV and gear ratio of the motor may also be different from the old GT series.

You can no longer see the screen.

That’s a pity··· It was a very favorite feature.:tired_face:

Any know if these will fit trampa superstar hubs?

On second look. Is this the same tyres as haggy bergmeister?

2 Likes